Email alert message returned " Message failed, issue a STARTTLS commend first "

when I tried to setup email alert, after I entered all info, and pressed the test button. I message appeared on the journal " Message failed, issue a STARTTLS commend first ", can anyone help ??

Email is Not setup correctly. Try using the Internet Service Provider's Email address and Test again.

ubzen:
Email is Not setup correctly. Try using the Internet Service Provider's Email address and Test again.

I am using gmail.. should it be smtp.gmail.com:25 ? I don't know the actual port number should be, just picked up 25 from the help text

Gmail didn't work for me because mt4 does Not support SSL and most ISP will-Not let you send emails through clients which does-not support SSL (or whatever). This is gonna sound like a pain but to save you time and headache.

Step-1: call your ISP and ask them for their smtp server address (If you cannot google it). Most Isp provides you an email address by default.

Step-2: ask them for that email address and password (if you don't already have it).

Step-3: put that information in Setting-Up-Your-Email in Mt4.

Step-4: Test sending an email to your gmail or phone email address.

Ps: smtp.gmail.com:25 ... yeah that looks correct to me :)

ubzen:

Gmail didn't work for me because mt4 does Not support SSL and most ISP will-Not let you send emails through clients which does-not support SSL (or whatever). This is gonna sound like a pain but to save you time and headache.

Step-1: call your ISP and ask them for their smtp server address (If you cannot google it). Most Isp provides you an email address by default.

Step-2: ask them for that email address and password (if you don't already have it).

Step-3: put that information in Setting-Up-Your-Email in Mt4.

Step-4: Test sending an email to your gmail or phone email address.

Great.... Thanks very much ... very helpful

Patrickc:
when I tried to setup email alert, after I entered all info, and pressed the test button. I message appeared on the journal " Message failed, issue a STARTTLS commend first ", can anyone help ??

Not sure if you are still interested but, I have been using a free email account just for my alerts from MT4, its free and they provide a SMTP server so you can send mail from MT4 without any hassle. I have been using it for over a year now. The only restriction on it, last time I checked was you can only send about 10 emails per hour. If you send more then that they will lock your account for an hour to prevent spammer's. http://gmx.com/. Not promoting this site but I wasted more time then I'm willing to admit trying to get my gmail and my yahoo account to work for me. xxxxx would be your user name. Yes, to: and from: is the same as your login.

Since were on the subject of email. If you have a driod the default mail client cannot be configured to poll your email accounts fast enough for me at least. What good is an alert 5 to 15 min ago, I need 1 min or less to make it useful for my alerts. I changed my email to another freebee called K-9 mail. It lets you dump all of your mail accounts and set up different polling times for each account. I have my GMX account set to the fastest setting ( 1 min) and my other accounts, gmail and yahoo set for a longer poll so I dont kill my batteries. I'm not promoting either of these companies. They are both free and use them if you like.

ubzen:
smtp.googlemail.com: 465 SSL/TLS is the correct settings. Doesn't help the OP.
Reason: