Where to start programming language

Hi

I have started reading the mql book

It would appear that some of the language in the book requires me to understand other computer language, as I'm not fully understanding what I"m reading

So the question is:

Since there does not appear to be extensive information available to learn mql4 in baby steps for me, what language should I learn first to be able to understand the mql4 book ?

I'm starting to read C++ books but then I've read the forums regarding object oriented, vs text oriented etc. and C++ is suggested to be even harder to learn for newbies

I've seen many suggest starting with Python, yet others conflict and suggest just reading the mql4 book don't worry about other languages etc.

I have no problem reading and learning, and no problem with purchasing materials such as DVD's or even online education but I cannot seem to figure out which is the best language to start with so that I can work my way towards coding EA's in mql and MT4 and understanding the mql4 book.

When reading I feel I'm missing something, and cannot grasp what is being taught.

At a glance of the code it does not look complicated but I don't understand what I'm looking at.

I do understand partially the variables subject only because I did do some reading about mysql database and some of the topics are similar as far as defining the types of data I want to work with.

But anything further then that I seem to have trouble understanding.

Please advise on what direction should a person take to learn programming from the beginning with no programming experience at all in order to understand the mql4 book.

Thanks

Learning from the reference manual is a bit like trying to learn English (or other language) by reading a dictionary. It can be done; it's how I learnt Assembler, but I don't recommend it for others.

I would suggest that you learn by reading the source code in MetaEditor for some 'simple' indicators (like, say MACD) and pressing <F1> on each bit you don't understand, to invoke the Help feature.

I relatively new here, and others may have some ideas, too, and there may even be a step-by-step tutorial (which I haven't bothered to find; sorry to whoever may have put it together).

brewmanz:

Learning from the reference manual is a bit like trying to learn English (or other language) by reading a dictionary. It can be done; it's how I learnt Assembler, but I don't recommend it for others.

I would suggest that you learn by reading the source code in MetaEditor for some 'simple' indicators (like, say MACD) and pressing <F1> on each bit you don't understand, to invoke the Help feature.

I relatively new here, and others may have some ideas, too, and there may even be a step-by-step tutorial (which I haven't bothered to find; sorry to whoever may have put it together).

I'm super late on my response

I've since learned Python and understand much more about the general topics of programming.

Now when I read the documents and articles they make a lot more sense. Yet I still am diving into C++ because I come across a lot of code that I do not understand and have to go to C++ learning pages to grasp the concept, then back to the mql code that I did not understand.

I understood Python loops they created with the if statements, but in MQL it through me off because there is NO if statement it's just condition that is assumed within the loop.

Anyhow, sorry I did not see your response like 6 month's ago I've been reading Python.

I'll be more active in the MQL forums now that I actually understand a little of it.

Happy coding

Thanks

Lesson coming along nice. finish my_first_indicator and moving to the first EA.

It's getting very interesting.

Is MQL5 much different language or just minor changes in Syntax and tools etc ?

Please advise

Thanks

I'd suggest starting with Java. MQL4 is basically Java, just formatted a little different.
Reason: