Confusion..

I am using MetaTrader4 for the first time today. I have previous experiences with other clients but not a lot, so this may be an interpretation issue.

I entered a sell on GBP/USD at 1.55018 for 2 lots (I am reading this directly from the history so it's definitely accurate) @ Jan 5, 12:36

The S/L was placed at 1.55078, (the TP at 1.54971).

The S/L was triggered at 1:05 (29 minutes later) and I cannot understand why. It never even hit 1.55040, let alone the actual stop point. This is particularly frustrating as the price dropped to my take profit point about 2-3 minutes after.

This is also my first post here so apologies for any newbie issues.

Hi there,

First off, the time means nothing without telling us what your broker offest is as a my broker timescale is probably different to yours.

That aside, the problem you have experienced is not uncommon and always occurs on a sell trade. The reason is simple......your chart is showing you BID price only but the exit to your short is valued at ASK, which is higher. Your figures indicate a spread of around 4 pips for the GBPUSD which is somewhat excessive but not totally unreasonable in the face of some news event that may have been moving the market at the time.

Place your sell TP/SL where you want plus spread.
Reason: