Optimization questions

Hello to All

It is to my discovery, optimization has procedures that I was not aware of. Such as the many passes with different variables. Such an improvement over how I have attempted to backtest. My problem is that I went to the thread 'Automated Optimization of a Trading Robot in Real Time', only to discover that at the end of the article, in its conclusion, that this article was not an attempt to teach newbies the elements of optimization. It goes on to say, 'That it is highly recommended to learn normal optimization before setting up automated optimization'. That is fine with me. I have no problem to learn the basics first. That is the way it should be learned. So where do I locate this normal optimization. Such as ' Check Out This Article to Learn Basics on Optimization, for Newbies'.

Can someone point the way? :D I'd be glad to read before asking further questions.

Thank you all in advance.

Huckleberry

Hello Huckleberry,

I'd recommended to look at the optimization sample for A System: Championship 2008 Final Edit -> AE.TXT

May be it will help.

Regards,

Ais

It is not clear to me if you are seeking assistance in learning how to better use the built-in backtester for generating optimized parameters (aka strategy tester) or if you are seeking assistance in implementing an automated-optimizer (code that runs strategy tester programmatically from within the EA itself).

Huckleberry:

[...] So where do I locate this normal optimization. [...]

The first place would be in the MT4 manual, under 'Auto Trading > Expert Optimization', there's detailed instructions on how to set it up and the meaning of the results. But beware! The vast majority of users fall in the 'curve fitting' trap when they start optimizing. I suggest you search 'curve fitting' for more info.

Huckleberry:

So where do I locate this normal optimization.

I suggest http://investpress.com/what-is-backtesting through the calibration videos.

Thanks to all for the info. I have glanced through the info, due to time restriants. I will research all info and absorb later this week. But from what I have gleemed so far, is that this info gives what is backtesting, how it affects the account, how to input variables, etc, but I did not read yet as to how to get passes? Allow me to explain my confusion. I am still muddleing through all this wonderful info.

Confusion better explained: I have received an optimization report where a EA was checked (passed) 100 times with one stroke. The report gave 100 different input scenarios. Different inputs such as Stop Loss, Take Profit, etc.? And then the report listed each scenario in order from best to worst. Not that this report should been optimization be done everyday, this would be curve fitting. But the report gives a quicker understanding as to what this EA has done in the past with one sweep. I have been attempting to find the best inputs by manually inputing the variables one at a time. Time consuming at best. Could someone explain how to get the many passes with different input scenarios???

This site has more useful information than I ever imagined.

Thank you in advance for all the advise and info.

Regards Huckleberry

Please have another look the my prior post dated 2010.12.12.23:34. It has been updated.

Thanks to all for the info. I have glanced through the info, due to time restriants. I will research all info and absorb later this week. But from what I have gleemed so far, is that this info gives what is backtesting, how it affects the account, how to input variables, etc, but I did not read yet as to how to get passes? Allow me to explain my confusion. I am still muddleing through all this wonderful info.

Confusion better explained: I have received an optimization report where a EA was checked (passed) 100 times with one stroke. The report gave 100 different input scenarios. Different inputs such as Stop Loss, Take Profit, etc.? And then the report listed each scenario in order from best to worst. Not that this report should been optimization be done everyday, this would be curve fitting. But the report gives a quicker understanding as to what this EA has done in the past with one sweep. I have been attempting to find the best inputs by manually inputing the variables one at a time. Time consuming at best. Could someone explain how to get the many passes with different input scenarios???

This site has more useful information than I ever imagined.

Thank you in advance for all the advise and info.

Regards Huckleberry

Huckleberry:

Please have another look the my prior post dated 2010.12.12.23:34. It has been updated.

You can edit posts (up to 3 days after posting). Just press 'edit' at the top right hand side of your post.

Thanks gordon

By any chance, did you check my further explaination to my confusion?

Reason: