Implementing a screener

Hi,

I was looking for a tool that acts like a screener: analysing different assets and generating entry signals when pre-defined conditions are met.

For this purpose I modified the script for the donchian indicator and whenever some conditions are met Alert() is invoked to notify me.

However I am not sure if this is the right and efficient way to implement screener since the modified indicator script has to be attached to the graph of any asset I want to scan. And when I want to observe approx. 100 different assets, this may be quite resource-intesive.

What is your experience? Is this the efficient way to implement a screener?

Best,

Chris 

zubr:

Hi,

I was looking for a tool that acts like a screener: analysing different assets and generating entry signals when pre-defined conditions are met.

For this purpose I modified the script for the donchian indicator and whenever some conditions are met Alert() is invoked to notify me.

However I am not sure if this is the right and efficient way to implement screener since the modified indicator script has to be attached to the graph of any asset I want to scan. And when I want to observe approx. 100 different assets, this may be quite resource-intesive.

What is your experience? Is this the efficient way to implement a screener?

Best,

Chris 

no not the best way to do it as too many charts and indicators to handle concurrently.

You would be better writing an EA that you attach to a single chart. that EA could process your conditions against multiple securities and/or timeframes either entered by you or from the market watch list. This will reduce the number of charts open for the screening purpose to just 1 and if you code it right will also run only 1 or two indicators at a time rather than 1 chart and 1 indicator for every asset which would be a significant overhead for screening purposes.

MaxTrader:

no not the best way to do it as too many charts and indicators to handle concurrently.

You would be better writing an EA that you attach to a single chart. that EA could process your conditions against multiple securities and/or timeframes either entered by you or from the market watch list. This will reduce the number of charts open for the screening purpose to just 1 and if you code it right will also run only 1 or two indicators at a time rather than 1 chart and 1 indicator for every asset which would be a significant overhead for screening purposes.

Do you know any freely available code of such an EA that I could use as basis for my sceener?

I also checked all EAs from MT5's Code base but could not find any example of how to interate through all elements of the market watch list and set the indicator to the currently interated one. Any hints?

Just something like that?

Forum

How to Start with Metatrader 5

newdigital, 2013.07.12 08:49

New indicator was created/converted to Metatrader 5 and it is available in MT5 CodeBase now : Signal Table

newdigital:

Just something like that?

Thank you. Maybe I missed somethink. But in the EA code I could not see that the EA is going through different securities from the market watch list. For me it seems that the EA is only executed on the chart it was attached to. Right?

Yes, onchart only. This is not EA to trade. This is something as dashboard (indicator)

newdigital:
Yes, onchart only. This is not EA to trade. This is something as dashboard (indicator)
I am also looking for a sort of indicator (screener to generate entry signals). But the screener should automatically scan all securities in the market watch list and not only the one it was attached to.

this is dashboard anyway (multi pairs dashboard). i do not think that it will be free in MT5 CodeBase. You may want to go to Job service sorry (if we are talking about MT5 for example).

newdigital:
this is dashboard anyway (multi pairs dashboard). i do not think that it will be free in MT5 CodeBase. You may want to go to Job service sorry (if we are talking about MT5 for example).
OK thank you. I will try to find some further ideas on the web and the mql reference.

Have a look in here, this is a good start to your project

https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/130

20 Trade Signals in MQL5
20 Trade Signals in MQL5
  • Sergey Gritsay
  • www.mql5.com
This article will teach you how to receive trade signals that are necessary for a trade system to work. The examples of forming 20 trade signals are given here as separate custom functions that can be used while developing Expert Advisors. For your convenience, all the functions used in the article are combined in a single mqh include file that can be easily connected to a future Expert Advisor.
Reason: