WHIPSAW, TREND, or COMBINED? - page 2

Gordon,

Your anti-hedging attitude is quite understandable, but you have to know that some people are actually making money using hedges. It also gives them a Peace Of Mind knowing that the sudden market moves will not slaughter them.

Anyway my concern is once I read in one of your old posts that using the OrderComment() is dangerous as it is unreliable. I have used the OrderComment() as the identifier to separate my WHIPSAW orders and My TREND orders.

Can you please elaborate more on that topic?

EuroTrader:
It also gives them a Peace Of Mind knowing that the sudden market moves will not slaughter them.

Not having any open positions (instead of having 2 opposite positions) will give them much more 'piece of mind'... IMHO.

Anyway my concern is once I read in one of your old posts that using the OrderComment() is dangerous as it is unreliable. I have used the OrderComment() as the identifier to separate my WHIPSAW orders and My TREND orders.
Can you please elaborate more on that topic?

Servers sometimes overwrite part of the comment field and add their own info. An "official answer" given by stringo (one of the moderators) is that the comment field can have...
stringo:
31 characters + zero terminator. Server can rewrite 6 last characters. ie safety length is 25
(source: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/101419)

Unfortunately it's not officially documented and that answer is pretty old anyway. I have seen cases where MORE than 6 characters are overwritten (for example -> https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/124167). Different brokers use different comments and some don't use them at all; there is usually no documentation for this either (if u ask their tech support, they will likely not have a clue). Bottom line - it's unreliable. The better alternative is to use the magic number field.

Another good run for my combined TREND-WHIPSAW EA. Spain's bad news was good for me. Blue arrows are the signals from the WHIPSAW EA, and the magenta arrows are the signals from the TREND EA.

Reason: