Setting maximum SL?

Hi,

I'm running an EA that I didn't design, and I also don't have the code.

The EA is doing pretty well for me but it has some weird stop losses. Sometimes it's at 50 pips ( which is good ), but other times it sets the SL at 100-200 pips ( which is way to much ).

Is there any way I can only allow the EA to set the SL at a max of 50 pips?

Maybe a tool? an option on mt4? or maybe via my broker?

Or is this easy to code this in mql4? I have some coding experience and willing to learn mql4, if it's possible to code something that resolves my problem.

Is there a setting like 'SetMaxSL'?

Can you manually alter the SL of an open order and the EA leaves it on your value?

-BB-

No there is no option like 'SetMaxSL'.

Yes I can alter the SL of an open order and the EA leaves it at that value, that why I hoped their would be a tool that can do that for me when I'm not around.

pietpatat wrote >>

Yes I can alter the SL of an open order and the EA leaves it at that value, that why I hoped their would be a tool that can do that for me when I'm not around.

This is potentially dangerous. To run a 'black-box' EA and externally change it's orders... Not a good idea.

I'd guess you're running Fapt or equivalent that uses a 10 pip tp with a 40-180 pip SL. That trades many small gains for a few big losses. High win ratio, but a few losses in a row wipes out your account.

Depending on how the EA is written, changing the SL could affect the EA, as gordon said.

Reason: