Recent Graduate, interested in Forex, has no idea on how to get started

Hi all,

I have just graduated from Tulane and am unfortunate enough to not have a full-time, career building job. I am looking at Forex trading as a means of acquiring income and developing a skill set that I might be able to use to begin building a career. I have some knowledge of finances and trading, and I have a professor who is able to guide me. However, I don't know how and where to start.

I have played with MetaTrader, but do not know anything about programming.

I want to dive into forex trading with the hopes of acquiring a set of skills and knowledge that will help take me to the next level.

How should I start?

Thanks for all your help

I like that link phy

mbhangley:

I am looking at Forex trading as a means of acquiring income and developing a skill set that I might be able to use to begin building a career [...]

You should start with extreme caution. You have two distinct aims - income, and acquiring skills - and they are largely antipathetic. Unless you are either very lucky or very, very smart, you are unlikely to see any sort of reliable income from forex trading in the near future. The risk profile of forex trading sounds horrendously unsuitable for your current financial position.

mbhangley wrote >>

I have some knowledge of finances and trading [...] I have played with MetaTrader, but do not know anything about programming.

The best guess is that about 80% of forex liquidity is from algorithmic trading. However, that does not mean - as some visitors to this forum seem to think - that a knowledge of programming is therefore the magic key which unlocks untold riches. To put it into perspective, the other best guess is that 80% of the algo trading is institutional high-frequency trading of a kind which can't be done through the MT4 platform or MT4 brokers. The world of things such as MT4 is a fairly small piece of the jigsaw, with implications for its ability to generate income and transferable skills.

Thank you all very much for your sound advice and help. I will take them to heart as I move forward.
Reason: