MQL4 Editior bug? - page 2

SOLUTION

I have found the crash to happen on my machine only when the following scenario exists (that I have found so far):

1) MetaEditor was closed with no files open, so when I start MetaEditor again there are no files open. If I open a file and try to copy text, MetaEditor crashes.

SOLUTIONS that have worked for me:

1) Leave a dummy script open all the time, so that when you start MetaEditor again, at least one file is open all ready.

OR

2) If you start MetaEditor and no files are open, create a new dummy scipt and then open the file you want to edit. If you are creating a new file to begin with, it won't crash when you copy text (at least it hasn't for me).

Hope this helps, it has worked perfectly for me.

LHT

SOLUTION

I have found the crash to happen on my machine only when the following scenario exists (that I have found so far):

1) MetaEditor was closed with no files open, so when I start MetaEditor again there are no files open. If I open a file and try to copy text, MetaEditor crashes.

SOLUTIONS that have worked for me:

1) Leave a dummy script open all the time, so that when you start MetaEditor again, at least one file is open all ready.

OR

2) If you start MetaEditor and no files are open, create a new dummy scipt and then open the file you want to edit. If you are creating a new file to begin with, it won't crash when you copy text (at least it hasn't for me).

Hope this helps, it has worked perfectly for me.

LHT

At long last I think I have discovered a workaround to this problem.

After starting MetaEditor you must first use CTRL/C on any file that is currently open. From then on I find that it works fine.

The problem occurs when, after starting MetaEditor, you open a file and use CTRL/C for the first time after starting MetaEditor within that file. So, soon after starting MetaEditor get into the habit of using CTRL/C on an already open file, i.e. a file that was being used last time you were in MetaEditor.

This problem has been around for over 3 years now, come on MetaQuotes why have you not solved it yet???

Derek

flairflair:

Hi folks,

are there any users having the same problem?

Every time I copied any line(s) by either using ctrl+c or mouse right click to copy, the mql4 editor will have problem and need to close. I have been trying the version given by metatrader and fxpro, they both have the same problem.

Note:

cpu: 1.8GHz

memory : 1GB

any reply will be appreciated.

thanks heaps

MY PERSONAL OPINION IS;

This is not a bug in Metaedit or MQ4. The cut and paste request is failing in windows application control because you do not have full access to the file being edited.

This is caused by MS Vista & W7 usage of a "Trusted Installer" ownership and control of all system directories for MS updates. The reasons for this are that applications are not meant to use the "Program Files" directory for user data starting with MS Vista back in 2005. But the "Program Files" directory is one of the directories that is owned and protected by MS Windows, and which belongs to the "Trusted Installer" userid.

When you issue a Windows request via key strokes or the drop down menu's for Cut & Paste functions the MQ4 Metaeditor does not really get involved. This is an application request for system facilities which is rejected by Windows, with an error code to MQ4, because you are not fully authorised to access user data in the "Program Files" directory.

This problem may be worse for you if you have copied files from another system or user. These files may retain the security permissions of the other user, and you will always have problems until you remove these security settings.

By the way, I think "Trusted Installer" is rubbish, and just gets in the way.

How to get round it;

When you first install MQ4 don't select or allow the MQ4 system to install to the "Program Files" directory. Select a new directory elsewhere.

OR, and you need to read the following warnings;

THIS IS DANGEROUS, IF IT GOES WRONG THEN THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM. OK?

CHANGING WINDOWS OPERATION IS DANGEROUS. IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG YOU MAY LOSE ALL ACCESS TO YOUR DISK, AND ALL DATA HELD ON THAT DISK. OK?

YOU WILL LOSE YOUR RECOVERY FILE, SO MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T REQUIRE ANY FILES OR DIRECTORIES IN THE RECOVERY DATA SET.

DO NOT TAKE OUT YOUR HARD DISK AND CHANGE THE SECURITY SETTINGS ON ANOTHER COMPUTER, SINCE THIS WILL INVALIDATE ALL OF YOUR SECURITY SETTINGS AND YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS ACCESSING YOUR DATA OR EVEN STARTING WINDOWS. OK?

So take a backup of your entire disk before you try this, and make sure that you can restore the backup....FIRST.

1, If you are using "Simple File Sharing", then go to the MS web site and disable simple file sharing. You may have problems doing this with the basic Home or Starter versions of Windows.

2, Start your system is SAFE mode by pressing PF8 before windows starts, and selecting SAFE MODE..

3, Using Windows Explorer, select your hard disk, select PROPERTIES using the mouse right click, select the SECURITY tab, and select Advanced.

4, Set the ownership to your hard disk to Administrators to remove the "Trusted Installers" ownership. You will have to select the EDIT tab to do this, and will have to amend the settings of groups. You must click on the "Replace ownership on subcontainers and objects" before selecting rge APPLY tab.

5, close Windows Explorer, but do not re-boot your PC yet.

6, Using Windows Explorer again, select your hard disk, select PROPERTIES using the mouse right click, select the SECURITY tab, and select Properties. You need to edit the user ids so that you have administrators, with full access to this folder (your hard disk), subfolders, and files. When you have edited the security id's, then apply the changes. In safe mode you may still get warnings for the page file, the hibernation file if you have not turned it off via the MS web site, and certain system files such as Recovery, SYSTEM, and some of the installation files with long character names. These can all be ignored.

7, close Windows Explorer, and start Windows Explorer again. You should get a warning message that the Recovery data set is invalid, and this can be cleared.

8, Restart your system, and if everything worked ok, you have removed the Windows "Trusted Installer".

Hope this helps, do not get cross with me if you lose everything.

Don't install in \program files* on Vista/Win7
Reason: