Simple Newbie Question

Hello,

I am new to coding in general and I was hoping somebody could explain something to me. I'm sure you are familiar with the script below, and I understand it's purpose, but;

Can please somebody tell me what the return(-1) in this following statement does: I know that the return|(-1) terminates the start function. But I don't understand why it does this. What does return(0) return(-1) do.

I'm sorry for the stupid question. This has become a real sticking point for me and I'm not moving on until I understand this.

Please help!

thanks

Simon

int start ()

{

int counted_bars = IndicatorCounted ();

//---- check for possible errors

if ( counted_bars < 0 ) return (- 1 );

//---- last counted bar will be recounted

if ( counted_bars > 0 ) counted_bars --;

In this case, return exits the start() function, so in effect, it exits your code until the next tick.

The -1 is the value returned to whatever called the start() function, which is MT4.

To my knowledge MT4 doesn't do anything with the values returned by start(). I could be wrong.

The coder was trying to express "an error occurred", and the code run was terminated due to lack of data.

phy:

In this case, return exits the start() function, so in effect, it exits your code until the next tick.

The -1 is the value returned to whatever called the start() function, which is MT4.

To my knowledge MT4 doesn't do anything with the values returned by start(). I could be wrong.

The coder was trying to express "an error occurred", and the code run was terminated due to lack of data.

Many thanks,

So is it specifically the -1 value responsible for terminating start. What if return(0) was returned.

What is the difference between return(0), and return(-1)?

I think the actual return value is ignored.

The coder just made it look like an error state caused the exit.

There is nothing I have seen in the documents about return values for the special functions start, init and deinit.

------

However, when YOU write a function, the return value can mean whatever you want it to.

int count;
int start(){
   count = Increment(count);
return(0);

int Increment(int aNumber){
   aNumber++;
   return(aNumber);
}

The function "Increment" takes an integer as an argument, and "returns" an integer, equal to the argument value +1.

phy:

To my knowledge MT4 doesn't do anything with the values returned by start().

I think the actual return value is ignored.

You are right.

68breakbreak:

So is it specifically the -1 value responsible for terminating start. What if return(0) was returned.

What is the difference between return(0), and return(-1)?

There is not difference between return(0) and return(-1) in function start().
Reason: