BeckTest EA Perfect, Real different. - page 2

kingfx:
My problem is, I cannot be bothered to create an EA since it will not be accurate. I am led to believe that by creating an EA, it will never be accurate and so if you have time on your hand, you can forward test an EA. This to me im afraid is not worth it since EA needs to have worked from old data to new.

So Craig, is there a way of really having an EA that has accurate backtested trades?

So if I follow what you have said, it will work?

Like this link for instance: www.metatrader.info/node/67 If I Follow these steps i will be ok?
I have found that if I follow all the steps I wrote above, the backtest is fairly accurate, even on interpolated data.
By accurate, I mean rough shape of equity curve & win/loss %.
Now all I need is a profitable EA! I have been writing and searching for nearly a year now and can't find one (that does not take undue risk).
The negative tone of my previous post is due to the fact I believe this backtesting thing could/should all be much easier.

Rosh wrote:
If your EA must perfect trade actions (open/close/modify) on every tick, you must back test it (your EA) in mode Every Ticks.
In my opinion, this is obvious. For maximum reliability of the results it is desirable to have data on the smaller period (period 1 minutes).
My experience is that even when you choose 'Every tick' you will still get some incorrect data. For example I was developing an EA that relied on High/Low values and I found that 'Every tick' often skips High/Low prices while producing some in-between ticks. This is rather dumb IMO since it is known that at least one tick reported the known High/Low values of the bar.

As for the 'Control points', I see it mainly as a slightly better way to test EA's that trade completed bars. The point here is to test such EA's with 'Control points' to make sure that it correctly detects new bars, chooses the right prices for entries/exits even when recieving in-bar data, i.e. a bit closer to the real mode.

Those who trade by ticks should always use 'Every tick'. Even though it skips some important prices it's much better compared to 'Control points'.
Reason: