Optimization consumes too much hard drive life - page 2

Fernando Carreiro #:

I finished the test yesterday, so I am no longer able to give you any screenshots of current situation.

The test period was for the whole year of 2022, with "Every tick based on real ticks", with 50ms delay, "Slow complete" optimisation (about 3000 passes).

The EA itself is 678 lines and is based on two EMA cross (of tick data, not OHLC), and using ATR and StdDev (of OHLC) for volatility calculations and risk assessments.

The necessary OHLC and tick data from the broker had already been download previously when I ran the test (from previous runs).

Those were my honest values I presented. I've have never had the MetaTester overwhelm my computer.

Also, I usually run the optimisations using only 4 out of 8 threads, so that I can continue doing other work.

PS! It was trading 4 symbols simultaneously, each one independently of each other in terms of strategy. My aim was to analyse if the parameters behaved well in such a scenario and if the gains of one symbol helped compensate with the drawdown of another symbol.

I have no doubt about your values of course, I just don't understand how it's possible.

An idea : the value you show was after a while the optimization was running, so maybe the memory consumption was higher at the start and then decrease ?

I check.

@Alain Verleyen #: An idea, the value you show was after a while the optimization was running, so maybe the memory consumption was higher at the start and then decrease ?

The screenshot was taken during the optimisations. It was about 25-30% of the way at the time.

All of the passes were for valid parameter values and all of the passes had trades. The smallest had at least 70+ trades while the larger ones had about 2000+ trades.

Alain Verleyen #:

I have no doubt about your values of course, I just don't understand how it's possible.

An idea : the value you show was after a while the optimization was running, so maybe the memory consumption was higher at the start and then decrease ?

I check.

Ok my idea was the good one.

I started an optimization with a minimal EA (tester settings and EA attached).

I got such resources usage at the start :

Then after 20 minutes, the memory usage suddenly fell. The optimization was around 35% of the total.

So obviously the values shown be Fernando were taken after this decrease.

Interesting. Thanks to the participants.

PS: This EA doesn't even trade, so don't lost your time with this Grail :-D

Files:
Dev.zip  2 kb

@Alain Verleyen #: Ok my idea was the good one. I started an optimization with a minimal EA (tester settings and EA attached). I got such resources usage at the start : Then after 20 minutes, the memory usage suddenly fell. The optimization was around 35% of the total. So obviously the values shown be Fernando were taken after this decrease. Interesting. Thanks to the participants. PS: This EA doesn't even trade, so don't lost your time with this Grail :-D

Very good investigative work.  👍

Alain Verleyen #: Ok my idea was the good one. I started an optimization with a minimal EA (tester settings and EA attached). I got such resources usage at the start : Then after 20 minutes, the memory usage suddenly fell. The optimization was around 35% of the total. So obviously the values shown be Fernando were taken after this decrease. Interesting. Thanks to the participants. PS: This EA doesn't even trade, so don't lost your time with this Grail :-D
The memory usage probably fell after other applications requested more RAM. And since it was not in use, MetaTester relinquished it.
Reason: