EA Every tick vs Every tick based on real ticks?

Hello all,

Should I backtest every EA I want to try with every tick or every tick based on real ticks for accuracy ?

Is there any upside or scenario in which I would want to use every tick instead? If so what exactly?

I'm currently optimizing the EA parameters using cloud agents with every tick based on real ticks with the broker I like, I'm curious to see if there's a generally better way. I'm open to expert advice/tips. 

Also, I wanna make sure: if I have my broker account is highlighted in bold, does that mean the tick data will be downloaded from the current selected broker or will it always download real tick data from Metaquotes if I chose every tick based on real ticks?  

Thanks! :) 

GLDPHEZ: Should I backtest every EA I want to try with every tick or every tick based on real ticks for accuracy ?
Is there any upside or scenario in which I would want to use every tick instead? If so what exactly?

I'm currently optimizing the EA parameters using cloud agents with every tick based on real ticks with the broker I like, I'm curious to see if there's a generally better way. I'm open to expert advice/tips. 

Also, I wanna make sure: if I have my broker account is highlighted in bold, does that mean the tick data will be downloaded from the current selected broker or will it always download real tick data from Metaquotes if I chose every tick based on real ticks? 
  • "Real ticks" uses real Bid and Ask prices with the floating spread of real live occurrences in the past, while the "Every tick" uses simplified simulated Bid/Ask based on the lowest spread for the corresponding bar.
  • The historical OHLC and tick data is always downloaded from the current trading account you are connected to at the time of the test.

Fernando Carreiro #:
  • "Real ticks" uses real Bid and Ask prices with the floating spread of real live occurrences in the past, while the "Every tick" uses simplified simulated spread based on the lowest spread for the corresponding bar.
  • The historical OHLC and tick data is always downloaded from the current trading account you are connected to at the time of the test.

Thanks

How come "almost all EAs" seem unable to make any profit in Strategy Tester mode "ticks based on real ticks" ? 

GLDPHEZ #:How come "almost all EAs" seem unable to make any profit in Strategy Tester mode "ticks based on real ticks" ? 

In my opinion, usually because of lack of real trading knowledge and experience by the coder or strategy maker.

EDIT: Also, many EAs ignore the most important aspect of trading, proper money management and risk calculations.

Fernando Carreiro #:

In my opinion, usually because of lack of real trading knowledge and experience by the coder or strategy maker.

Ahh I see. Do you have any good EAs to recommend that have backtest performed well on real tick?

GLDPHEZ #: Ahh I see. Do you have any good EAs to recommend that have backtest performed well on real tick?
Discussions, recommendations or suggestions for products or signals are not allowed on the forum. You will need to do your own research.

Fernando Carreiro #:
Discussions, recommendations or suggestions for products or signals are not allowed on the forum. You will need to do your own research.

Low key the answer I expected lol thanks 

GLDPHEZ #: Low key the answer I expected lol thanks 

Even if it were allowed, I would not know how to answer you, because I don't use Market products.

I write my own EAs and I don't share them, but I can say the following ...

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Writing a profitable trading bot

Fernando Carreiro, 2022.08.16 15:54

Based on my own experience, I find that the most important aspect of having a consistent and profitable strategy, is how you handle your risk and your money. I would rate the importance of different aspects as follows:

1. Risk & Money Management (maximum importance and most essential part of all the strategy rules).
  2. Exit rules.
  3. Entry rules (least important).

Read the following too ...

EA printing values that shouldn't be there

Fernando Carreiro, 2022.06.10 22:50

When I started with MQL, I was already an established software developer with 30 years of experience. But even then, I approached it the way I described. Even with my solid background in C and C++, MQL was not just about coding. It also had to do with the MetaTrader platform and trading concepts, and those were totally new to me.

Many of the strategies I had in the beginning eventually got bashed away by the reality that trading can differ totally from what one thinks it is in the beginning. I came up with very elaborate stuff, only for them to be ultimately thrown in the bin because I was naïve.

As I progressed, I realised that my trusted friend in coding, namely K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, stupid!), is just as relevant in trading as it is in much of anything else in life. Complex strategies are useless and just distract us from what is really important.

As time went by, my strategies became simpler and my EAs become more refined. However, to my surprise, over time, money and risk management became the central theme of it all. It gradually became clear to me that entry rules were not all that important, but exit rules, risk and money management can make or break a strategy and became paramount for me.

In essences, almost any indicator gives approximately the same signals, given that they all derive those signals from the price action itself. So you might as well stick to the simplest and cleanest of indicators and concentrate on the exits, risk and management of the trades.

With that in mind, I decided that my code should be simple, clean and efficient, and focus on the risk and trade management and very little on the indicators and signals they generate.

This is my advice to you. Learn to code MQL and understand the platform and trading, methodically and properly, because as you do, you might find that your current strategy is going to end up in the trash bin.

NB! My journey with trading and MQL took me years (not months), to get to a level I could be happy with.

Is there a reliable, proven, prop firm EA?

Fernando Carreiro, 2023.11.02 17:44

If you are referring to Market EAs, then that I cannot answer. You will have to research the EAs and test them yourself to find out.

As for private individuals using their own EAs, programmed by them for their own strategies, then the answer is — yes there are many. However, none of those individuals are interested in proving their worth to you or showing their trade history. Why would they?

They are producing the necessary gains by themselves with the prop-firm funding, so they have no interest in sharing that skill, except maybe with family and close friends, or people they trust. They achieved the necessary skill and knowledge by themselves through dedicated effort, so most will expect that others should do the same if they want to succeed.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Even if it were allowed, I would not know how to answer you, because I don't use Market products.

I write my own EAs and I don't share them, but I can say the following ...

OK I know you don't use market products but would you happen to know if my broker account is highlighted in bold, does that mean the tick data will be downloaded from the current selected broker or will it always download real tick data from Metaquotes if I chose every tick based on real ticks?  

GLDPHEZ #: OK I know you don't use market products but would you happen to know if my broker account is highlighted in bold, does that mean the tick data will be downloaded from the current selected broker or will it always download real tick data from Metaquotes if I chose every tick based on real ticks?  

I have already answered that in my first post ... "The historical OHLC and tick data is always downloaded from the current trading account you are connected to at the time of the test."

Fernando Carreiro #:

I have already answer that in my first post ... "The historical OHLC and tick data is always downloaded from the current trading account you are connected to at the time of the test."

Ahh got overlooked. Thanks for the pointer. Have a good day. 

Reason: