How To Sell An Indicator Which Needs DLL? - page 2

Dominik Egert #:
Well, I guess it would be listed under "utilities" in the market. I have no idea if it's possible to upload a service as indicator. But it would be installed in the wrong directory, I guess...

You mean it's an issue with marketing a utility as an indicator, right?

That is in fact an issue, but I would guess uploading an EA in the Experts section as an indicator might not even work, because "no trading activity" and therefore probably fail the test.

And uploading an EA as an indicator is also not possible. So it might stand, you don't even have an option, but to upload as utility, created as either EA or Service. Since we can upload whatever we want as utility, that's probably the only way.

exactly , the utilities get fewer eyeballs ,excluding libraries .

And the burden of explaining why the product is not published as an indicator is on the OP as well .

Dominik Egert #:
One possible option would be to build an indicator that works as is, and >optionally< takes advantage of additional data from a second product.

The second product as your service providing the additional data.

I suppose this is legit. As none of the products depend on each other.

Yeah , the "optionally" is due to the imposition of an extra step that might be considered a limitation ?

Also maybe since the WebRequest is provided the OP could (hypothesis) route the utility straight via the server . I mean meta trader provides a list of allowed urls and a method to pull data.

Lorentzos Roussos #:

exactly , the utilities get fewer eyeballs ,excluding libraries .

And the burden of explaining why the product is not published as an indicator is on the OP as well .

Yeah , the "optionally" is due to the imposition of an extra step that might be considered a limitation ?

Also maybe since the WebRequest is provided the OP could (hypothesis) route the utility straight via the server . I mean meta trader provides a list of allowed urls and a method to pull data.

The issue is, We request is blocking the thread.

You would need a nonblocking implementation somehow

Dominik Egert #:
The issue is, We request is blocking the thread.

You would need a nonblocking implementation somehow

Yes , i mean he/she would do that as a utility . but then they'd run into other issues , knowing what's downloaded and instances as you mentioned.

Thanks for the replies, I will take everything in consideration.

I think the best solution is creating the EA and having the indicator inside of it somehow, gonna have to figure that out.

Now what bugs me a bit, why there isn't a webrequest function for the indicator? Why only EA?

Dominik Egert #:
EDIT:
Maybe you want to look at services instead of EAs... It will save you a lot of problems with multiple instances.

This indicator is not meant to have more than one instance on the same chart.

Alberto Gauer Borrego #:

This indicator is not meant to have more than one instance on the same chart.

You need to think about what your users will be doing.

Multiple charts, or one chart, doesn't matter, you have the issue of taking care of multiple instances running at the same time.

@Dominik

Ok cool got it.

Can you confirm that only on MT5 is possible to code an indicator inside an EA? It won't be possible to offer a MT4 version of that, then.

Alberto Gauer Borrego #: Can you confirm that only on MT5 is possible to code an indicator inside an EA? It won't be possible to offer a MT4 version of that, then.

Both have resources. Just embed the other indicator(s) inside your indicator/EA. Add the CI(s) to your code as a resource.

#resource "\\Indicators… iCustom("::Indicators…
          Use the publicly released code - MQL5 programming forum (2017)
          Resources - MQL4 Reference

Be aware that using resources is 40x times slower than using CIs directly.
          A custom indicator as a resource - MQL4 programming forum (2019)

Also make use there are no spaces in the path.
          Getting error 4802 when loading custom indicator that loads another custom indicator with iCustom - Technical Indicators - MQL5 programming forum. (2020)

Also Use of Resources in MQL5 - MQL5 Articles (2011)

@William Roeder

Hello there William. So my coder got back to me and he said that he referenced the indicator inside the EA but it refuses to work if the indicator is required to plot on a sub-window. He then tested with an indicator to plot on the main chart, then it worked.

Is that a limitation or there is a way to make it plot on a sub-window when referencing an indi inside the EA?

He said there are no error messages on the Journal/Expert tabs when the indicator refuses to work.

@Alberto Gauer Borrego #: Hello there William. So my coder got back to me and he said that he referenced the indicator inside the EA but it refuses to work if the indicator is required to plot on a sub-window. He then tested with an indicator to plot on the main chart, then it worked. Is that a limitation or there is a way to make it plot on a sub-window when referencing an indi inside the EA? He said there are no error messages on the Journal/Expert tabs when the indicator refuses to work.
No, there is no such limitation. If your developer is having that issue then there is something wrong in the code (either the EA or the Indicator) that needs to be addressed.
Reason: