"Ping Failed" in Journal... Why /How?

This is in regard to MetaTrader 3.83 build 6231 (Aug 23 2004)

I think this is caused by a connection problem with the ISP, but I've been around the block with this with InterbankFx and my DSL provider SBC.

Baisically I am getting the "ping failed" error in the journal of the terminal window. What typically happens is that the trading action will stop / freeze, but not like a bad program freeze or computer freeze... the trading action will just stop and no more chart updates.

Then after you log back into the account in the journal file "ping fail" is displayed. Also the little green box on the terminal window in the lower right hand corner will turn dark green that is the key thing to look for otherwise you may be looking at the charts waiting for an update that never comes.

It should be noted that if you suffer from said problem and you have a firewall the problem could happen very frequently... from 30min to usually less than 2 hrs. However disabling the firewall the problem will not go away... as this morning I have 7 or 8 ping failed messages, but at least for the most part the program hasn't been giving up.

Another thing of note is this probably won't happen to you if you have a steady reliable connection to your ISP. Last night I collected some stats from my dsl modem and found that I've had 13 reconnects in the past 16hrs or so.

My main reason for this post is to document this problem... because little exists about it.

If anyone has any further knowledge about these messages and what typically causes them / whether it be solely a disconnect issue or whether errors are partly to blame they are encouraged to respond.

Thank you.
Reason: