Can MT4 be burned onto CD/DVD?

Hi,

Is it possible to copy MT4 onto a cd/dvd in order to be able to trade from computers in public places such as Libraries etc. The reason for this question is that I am on the move with my job all day but can find an hour or two during my work break to trade, providing I can gain access to my charts (ie MT4 at the moment).

Any help/suggestions appreciated,

Dave

yes. but config files should be rewritten from time to time in the same directory. you cannot write received history files, log files etc. there is inconveniently.
use flash drive connected via usb port

yes. but config files should be rewritten from time to time in the same directory. you cannot write received history files, log files etc. there is inconveniently.
use flash drive connected via usb port

Thanks Slawa for your advice. The problem is, I am not too computor literate so am finding a little difficult to decipher the meaning of your message with regards to config files should be rewritten...in the same directory etc. I don't even know where the usb port is. Applologies for being so nieve.

Dave

Thanks Slawa for your advice. The problem is, I am not too computor literate so am finding a little difficult to decipher the meaning of your message with regards to config files should be rewritten...in the same directory etc. I don't even know where the usb port is. Applologies for being so nieve.

Hi Dave,

Metatrader sucks in price data, updates charts with new data as well as indicators, trendlines etc. It needs to be able to write this new stuff somewhere and it will be unable to given the CD/DVD can't be written as Metatrader isn't a CD/DVD burner.

A USB port will be a slot at the back of your computer and all manner of things such as USB Mice, keyboards can plug in these whilst the PC is live and going.

One of the marvellous things about Metatrader is it's stability and portablilty and small size which makes it ideal for transporting on a USB Flash Drive. These are essentially a solid state mini hard drive. I use a 512M USB Flash Drive attached to my keyring which contains Metatrader. Do a bit of Googling on this and trot down to your local computer shop and buy one - heaps handier than worrying about the CD/DVD idea.

Cheers
Martin

I'm also interested in this. Is it possible to install 2 MT4 on hard drive and on flash drive at the same time ? ---- We surely use home PC more often, so how to install MT4 on flash drive when there's already a MT4 in PC ?

wyf,

Simply copy the entire Metatrader directory to whereever you want to run it from and run the terminal.exe from there. I have multiple instances of Metatrader on both laptop, workstation and Flash drive.

Simple as well as beautiful - you don't find many apps that you can move around so easily and are as portable as Metatrader. A great app IMO.

Cheers
Martin

wyf,

Simply copy the entire Metatrader directory to whereever you want to run it from and run the terminal.exe from there. I have multiple instances of Metatrader on both laptop, workstation and Flash drive.

Simple as well as beautiful - you don't find many apps that you can move around so easily and are as portable as Metatrader. A great app IMO.

Cheers
Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks, that has made it much clearer. Just wondered it you could help on the following. I have recently bought a Flash drive and have copied MT4 onto it, however, when I try to use it on another computer the charts and login box appear but no live data. At the bottom of the chart in the right hand corner it says 'no connection' even though the computer is connected to the Internet. I would be greatful if you could shed some advice on that. I believe I have copied MT onto my flash drive ok (ie going into MT setup and transfering the setup to 'F' drive.

When I attempt to use set up MT on another computer from my Flash Drive the message 'what program' would I like to place MT in (eg Accessories, Strart Up, etc). The problem is, that I don't want to instal MT onto another PC I need to be able to use it directly from the Flash Drive. Is this possible without having to install to anything onto another computer?

Regards,
Dave

Dave1,

If you copy the entire installed Metatrader 4 directory from your PC to your flash drive, you should be OK. Metatrader I've found is completely transportable once you install it initially.

So if you did a default install, navigate to c:\Program Files\ and copy the Metatrader directory from there and paste it to you flash drive.

Cheers
Martin

Dave1,

If you copy the entire installed Metatrader 4 directory from your PC to your flash drive, you should be OK. Metatrader I've found is completely transportable once you install it initially.

So if you did a default install, navigate to c:\Program Files\ and copy the Metatrader directory from there and paste it to you flash drive.

Cheers
Martin

That's worked, thanks Martin..

That's perfect ! Thanks a lot !

Hi

What about upgrades to this? I tried an update, but it did not update to the USB drive. I downloaded the new version of MT4 (170) and started a manual install to the USB key directory, but this warned that it will overwrite.

Is there a way to do the update to the USB key?

Thanks
Des
Reason: