Methods of carrying out a rolling forward - page 6

elibrarius:
I think the best thing is to do a WF analysis using third party tools, then show MQ and ask them to build it into the tester.

But something tells me it's going to be difficult. I, for example, without a DB, have not made up my mind. A simple calculation:
1 pass of optimization yields 10000+ strings
+ 1 pass of forwarding - another 10000+ lines...

I have an answer, there is no need to collect anything.

If an in-house tester doing back optimisation for a walk step uses some criterion/fitness function , then we save one set with its maximum value. It comes to the forefront to build a good criterion - YES, which can also look at all trades from the frame. The result of the run with a high criterion value is calculated - we store it. I.e. after optimization on the step back we have only 1 winning set on which the step forward will be run.

I.e. for 12 steps, 12 sets will be matched

Igor Volodin:

I have my answer, there is no need to collect anything.

If an in-house tester doing back optimisation for a walk step uses some criterion/fitness function , then we keep one set with its maximum value. It comes to the forefront to build a good criterion - YES, which can also look at all trades from the frame. The result of the run with a high criterion value is calculated - we store it. I.e. after optimization on the step back we have only 1 winning set on which the step forward will be run.

I.e. for 12 steps, 12 sets will be matched

What if your fitness function brings out the best option in the top?

I, for example, have decided for myself to analyse all 10000+ so that by changing the selection criteria I can arrive at the one that will produce consistent results over the entire WF period. In my previous experiment, with <20% drawdown on a yearly period I got 2 months in which drawdowns and drains occur.

Now I want to tighten up unified selection criteria and try to have a drawdown <15% <10%. Add other parameters to the selection criterion - number of trades, recovery, Sharpe, etc. But since we have only 12 files stored, we will have to reoptimize all the 12 months + all the forwards. Every time I have to re-optimize every time I change a selection criterion - this is the only thing I have to do)) That's why I decided to store all data and then reoptimise them.

elibrarius:

What if your fitness feature brings out the top not the best option?

If you want automatic volkings - build such a function (selection criterion) which brings the best variant to the top )) How do you work in real life if there is no such a function?

elibrarius:
I mean forward testing built into the terminal tester. Maybe it should be included to complete the picture? I can only see a few optimization results manually and the tester will calculate them all... but I'm not sure there's a sense in wasting time on it.
Maybe, when seeing all the forwards, we may choose something else, not a drawdown of <20%, as a single selection criterion?

I do this:

1. On TF D1, I select all available history (for euro/dollar I took it from the beginning of 1973 to the present time);

2. I optimize the entire range (over 10 000 bars) of the Expert Advisor to determine the largest value of the recovery factor (RR) as the ratio of the net profit (NPL) to the maximum drawdown (MP) - RR=58935/4657=12.66; Number of trades = 10730; Expected payoff (EPC)=58935/10730=5.49 points; Expected loss (ELO) =4657/10730=0.434 points; Strategy performance criterion (SEC)=EPC/ELO=5.49/0.437=12.66;

3. Then I run the Expert Advisor from any period of history with constant parameters - in this case from the beginning of 1974, 75, ....., 2012 and determine the current values (KEST) = expected payoff current (EPC)/expected payoff final (EPC)= expected payoff current (EPC)/0.434, which shows the stability or instability of the TS over time. This criterion indicates how many times the probability of winning exceeds the probability of losing.

Here is what we got for 41 years, from 1973 to 2013:

Yousufkhodja Sultonov:

I do this:

2. I optimise the entire range (

This is not a wolfing forward. You first optimize the whole range, and then you do some measurements on it. During the volking-forward process, theoptimized areas are older than the check ones, and those that are not optimized are checked, then they are shifted by the size of the check one and everything is repeated.

I've figured out how to implement walk-forward in pure MQL using the native MT5 optimizer in one optimization with full period.

I will give the details later.

Igor Volodin:

I've figured out how to implement walk-forward in pure MQL using the native MT5 optimizer in one optimization with full period.

We will wait )

Igor Volodin:

It's just that there are so many nuances, not only with sampling. This is kind of just the tip of the iceberg.

Question number one, what will volkin forward give?, for those who want to test their systems and so can check it - with whatever conditions your heart desires. The reason is that the strategy may be predetermined.

Although development is probably a good thing.

Youri Tarshecki:
This is not a volking-forward. You first optimise the whole plot, and then take some measurements on the same plot. During the volking-forward process, we optimize the areas older than the check ones, and then check the more recent ones that are not optimized, then shift them by the size of the check one and repeat the process.
I do not agree with this. Optimisation over the entire 43 year range is to determine, once and for all, the parameters of the TC "on average". Then, the TC is run every year 43 times. It is assumed that, the TC is bound to encounter abnormal market conditions. Your misconception is that, on the history you cannot meet the cases that will be met in the future. Since the TS copes with all instances of history, I am sure it will cope with the future, with only minor variations.

Yousufkhodja Sultonov:
Let me disagree.
Disagree all you like, do as you please, this thread is about Walk-Forward, so if you don't want to talk about it, let me ask you out of here
Reason: