Unable to load product file

I have an indicator which is an .ex5 file. Initially when creating the program, I choose the expert advisor template. However my program does no automated trading or execution. It simply prints text to the chart with indicator values. 

The trouble is, when i try to upload that product file, I get the error 'XXX.ex5 - Expert Advisor, is not an indicator'  Advice? The code has nothing specific for expert advisor. I've crosschecked with a new indicator template and its code.

The only thing i can think of is that the main function is OnTick() as oppose to OnCalculate(), someone please advise if they know???

Thanks

Oliver Harrison Pollard:I have an indicator which is an .ex5 file. Initially when creating the program, I choose the expert advisor template. However my program does no automated trading or execution. It simply prints text to the chart with indicator values. The trouble is, when i try to upload that product file, I get the error 'XXX.ex5 - Expert Advisor, is not an indicator'  Advice? The code has nothing specific for expert advisor. I've crosschecked with a new indicator template and its code.The only thing i can think of is that the main function is OnTick() as oppose to OnCalculate(), someone please advise if they know??? Thanks

You are mixing apples and oranges! You are either coding/making/uploading an Indicator or an EA. You cannot mix code from both.

If it is in an Indicator then you cannot have any event handlers for OnTick(), OnTimer(), OnTrade(), etc. in your code, even if they are empty and do nothing.

For an Indicator, you must use the OnCalculate() event handler, which acts and functions very differently to OnTick().

If you still don't understand these differences, then I suggest you DO NOT upload your code to the Market as it does not have the necessary production quality.

Please, take some time to first learn more about how to properly code an Indicator and an EA and the differences.

Fernando Carreiro:

You are mixing apples and oranges! You are either coding/making/uploading an Indicator or an EA. You cannot mix code from both.

If it is in an Indicator then you cannot have any event handlers for OnTick(), OnTimer(), OnTrade(), etc. in your code, even if they are empty and do nothing.

For an Indicator, you must use the OnCalculate() event handler, which acts and functions very differently to OnTick().

If you still don't understand these differences, then I suggest you DO NOT upload your code to the Market as it does not have the necessary production quality.

Please, take some time to first learn more about how to properly code an Indicator and an EA and the differences.

Thanks for the response.

I do understand the differences so your reply makes sense. I actually have a complex EA that operates based off of the indicators BUT intended to release them as two seperate products. A more cheaper and basic version with just the indicator and the other being the full complex package at a higher cost. The issue I was having was with this simpler version.

I will change my plan and just release the one full code product as an EA.

Thanks for your speedy assistance.

Reason: