Difficulty understanding loops over bars and SetAsArray

Hello Folks,

I have several issues as a newbie in mql5:

1- problem understanding how loops work and how to access the latest bar and the bars before it (is the index of the previous bar i+1 or i-1 how to decide),

2-does SetAsArray function affects how the loop works also are the user defined arrays and indicator buffers timeseries or normal arrays

3- if I want to code lets say moving average is it better to start from the oldest bar to the newest or it doesn't matter

As far as I understand that the latest bar index is set to 0 and the oldest bar index is rates total-1 however when I try to print out this it comes the other way around (the latest bar index is rates total-1 and the oldest bar index is 0)

I've read this topic but it made me more confused actually http:  Range not behaving as expected - Heiken Ashi - MQL4 and MetaTrader 4 - MQL4 programming forum (mql5.com)

Sorry for being long but I'm new to mql5 and help is truly appreciated

Regards.

1. It is up to you. Would you rather think of the chart [oldest … newest] as [0 … ratesTotal-1] (non-series/previous is i-1) or [ratesTotal-1 … 0] (as-series/previous is i+1).
  2. Set all your arrays and buffers per № 1.
  3. Doesn't matter.
  4. The latest bar is not zero. It is up to you. See № 1.
  5. You are confused, because there are two ways and it is up to you.
              How to do your lookbacks correctly #9 - #14 & #19

William Roeder:
  1. It is up to you. Would you rather think of the chart [oldest … newest] as [0 … ratesTotal-1] (non-series/previous is i-1) or [ratesTotal-1 … 0] (as-series/previous is i+1).
  2. Set all your arrays and buffers per № 1.
  3. Doesn't matter.
  4. The latest bar is not zero. It is up to you. See № 1.
  5. You are confused, because there are two ways and it is up to you.
              How to do your lookbacks correctly #9 - #14 & #19

Thank you so much William that really cleared everything up. Highly appreciating your help.

Reason: