MT4 Visual mode offline charts refresh

Hello,

I have built an indicator to generate signals and an EA that calls the indicator through iCustom to help me place trades. The EA is not a robot but determines the entry, stop and TP levels when a signal is generated and waits for a button press to place a trade manually.

I am looking to back test the indicator only, in visual mode in the MT4 strategy tester. The indicator uses data from higher timeframes (HTF) to inform the strength of the signals generated on the chart TF. Therefore, in order to back-test the indicator, I would like to see offline charts for 2 HTFs being updated synchronously as the ticks build the bar on the testing chart. The indicator itself doesn't need to be on the offline HTF charts, only on the test chart.

The script PeriodConverter.mq4 that ships with MT4 does something similar with real-time charts and and keeps an offline chart up-to-date, but doesn't seem to work with the strategy tester in visual mode.

I imagine this might be a common need to back-test manual strategies and wanted to check if anyone has found a solution to this.

If not, I would be grateful for any guidance on how to approach this problem.

Regards

Narayan

The Fundamentals of Testing in MetaTrader 5
The Fundamentals of Testing in MetaTrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
The idea of ​​automated trading is appealing by the fact that the trading robot can work non-stop for 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The robot does not get tired, doubtful or scared, it's is totally free from any psychological problems. It is sufficient enough to clearly formalize the trading rules and implement them in the algorithms, and...
Files:
Reason: