objects selection method

the objects selection method (via dialog box, because most of the times the software doesn't allow me to do the selection by simply clicking on it), I can't figure out a more obsolete way to do that. Why that? If a reason exists, what is it?

mauriziolobello:
the objects selection method (via dialog box, because most of the times the software doesn't allow me to do the selection by simply clicking on it), I can't figure out a more obsolete way to do that. Why that? If a reason exists, what is it?

Why do you want to figure out a more obsolete way?

Have you tried double clicking?

Are the objects placed by code? Maybe they are not selectable.

Double click or allow single click. Check ToolsOptions (control+O) → ObjectsSelect object by single mouse click (or MT5 equivalent).

Keith Watford:

Why do you want to figure out a more obsolete way?

Have you tried double clicking?

Are the objects placed by code? Maybe they are not selectable.

A more obsolete way would be so that all of the other graphical apps use a method as a standard way to select an object? really?

I add an object, it remains selected, I add another object, both remain selected. I change my mind and delete the last object added, both objects are deleted. This is not standard way and this is not the best way. MT behaves as if the shift key or the ctrl key is always pressed (depends by the software you and me are thinking of) so if I select/deselect an object, the others one previously selected keep selected. This is not the standard way and I can't figure out why this decision by design. If I draw a Fib extension and then a horz line and soon after I want to remove the horz line, why should I bother of the Fib ext created just before (and by extension, the many other objects I added just minutes before)?

When active points of objects are overlapped, it can happen I can't choose the right object (doesn't depend by the choice to set it to background), this is normal as it happens with many other software apps. But they (the designers) should consider that, when I select an object, and then click on the active handle to move it, and casually the active handle is near or close or overlapped to an open position line, it's clear that I want to move the handle, not that I always want to set a new or move a tp or sl line!

There are other nuances of weird behaviors, may be not weird, say different from the standard (or expected. ... My only expectations?), but it's like a new "The Gimp" software is out for everybody to use, and you are obliged to use it, despite of all the experience you gained using the most of other software (but in the world of trading, you don't have all that choice...)

What I want to say is that you, the designer, can decide and use a dialog box to do some operations with the objects your software offers, but you should keep in mind that most of the operations, expecially the basic ones (remove an object is very basic! deselect an object by clicking out of the object is very basic!), have to be done with the help of the mouse only, eventually with the aid of the keyboard or a contextual menu, but nothing else!

Hope to be clear. Thanks for your answer, it helped me to explain better my thoughts.

Maurizio

William Roeder:
Double click or allow single click. Check ToolsOptions (control+O) → ObjectsSelect object by single mouse click (or MT5 equivalent).

This is my default.

Explained better my thoughts using the other answer. Thanks to you too.

Reason: