Is Running MT and EA on Bare Bones Ubuntu Possible?

I have a bare bones vps from another project that has spare capacity.

It has no browser or GUI installed.

Is it possibel to install WINE and MT on this type ob box and run it, or do I need Ubuntu with a GUI ? (If so, is a free one from Amazon suitable - mainly for demoing an ea I have developed at present, it needs to run 24 x 7 and I cannot rely on my Power or internet connection at home.

Thanks

you might want to.try this

https://medium.com/faun/running-windows-app-headless-in-docker-15ff008f2f16

Soewono Effendi:
you might want to.try this

https://medium.com/faun/running-windows-app-headless-in-docker-15ff008f2f16
Thanks, I'll check that out later.

IronBadger:

Is it possibel to install WINE and MT on this type ob box and run it, or do I need Ubuntu with a GUI ? (If so, is a free one from Amazon suitable - mainly for demoing an ea I have developed at present, it needs to run 24 x 7 and I cannot rely on my Power or internet connection at home.

Thanks

I have installed Wine and MT5 on a machine with Ubuntu. However, as far as I can remember were all steps involved done in a terminal window. So I guess that it would be possible to install it if you don't have a GUI.

Be aware that the Wine installation procedure depends on which Ubuntu version you are running.

IronBadger:

Thanks

I have been a linux user for over 20 years. We used to use Vmware in situations where we needed Windoze compatibility but later on we got KVM. KVM is an open source project for virtual machines. It is much better than WINE because you can load the actual OS needed. You can use KVM in a headless state so you don't need a GUI on the server. You just use a remote GUI client to open up the VMs. With WINE you will NEED a GUI on the OS you are using.

I don't know if you can use KVM on your vps. I figure that is a virtual private server?? I have seen a virtual server run KVM and in turn run a virtual machine. I don't know if you want to go down that route. If your private server actually is hardware, you can load KVM and run MANY VMs (virtual machines) on a single server. On my Linux workstation I run Windoze on a VM and that is where my MT5 is. It is a very light load and doesn't require a lot of resources from my workstation.

I wouldn't go the route of WINE. You are just leaving yourself open to a lot of heartbreak and possible thoughts of suicide. LOL

I don't know why MT5 doesn't run on Linux. Anything mission critical shouldn't be forced to trust Widoze. I am a software engineer and realize I may have to jump from using MT5 on Windoze. There are lots of open source trading libraries on Linux and I just may have to stitch together an open source project.

I hope this was of some help.
Reason: