EMA input?

Hi guys. Newbie here. I want to use the EMA but don't know what numbers to use? If anyone could help please.

kirstinjones32:
Hi guys. Newbie here. I want to use the EMA but don't know what numbers to use? If anyone could help please.

EMA only has one number: it's period.

If you want the EMA to follow prices closely, you use a small number. This is called "fast."

If you want the EMA to smooth over price bumps, you use a larger number. This is called "slow."

You may even want two EMA's on the same chart—one fast and one slow. Then you watch the crossovers.

But there is no single right period to use.

This Investopedia article says, "The most commonly used EMAs by forex traders are the 5, 10, 12, 20, 26, 50, 100, and 200."

So you may as well start there.

How do I use exponential moving average (EMA) to create a forex trading strategy?
How do I use exponential moving average (EMA) to create a forex trading strategy?
  • Nickolas Lioudis
  • www.investopedia.com
Bubble Risk Tolerance Endowment Indicator Coverage Ratio Candlestick

Period 25 shift 8, period 15 shift 5, period 9 shift 3, all calculated on median price.

And don't focus on the crossovers, look for when price starts making clear one-directional zig-zags on one side of the EMAs and the EMAs start spreading.

kypa:

Period 25 shift 8, period 15 shift 5, period 9 shift 3, all calculated on median price.

And don't focus on the crossovers, look for when price starts making clear one-directional zig-zags on one side of the EMAs and the EMAs start spreading.

Thank you! 

Anthony Garot:

EMA only has one number: it's period.

If you want the EMA to follow prices closely, you use a small number. This is called "fast."

If you want the EMA to smooth over price bumps, you use a larger number. This is called "slow."

You may even want two EMA's on the same chart—one fast and one slow. Then you watch the crossovers.

But there is no single right period to use.

This Investopedia article says, "The most commonly used EMAs by forex traders are the 5, 10, 12, 20, 26, 50, 100, and 200."

So you may as well start there.

Thank you!
Reason: