Greece PM Tsipras: Down With Troika, No Loan From Russia

Europe must make bold changes toward growth, the Greek prime minister reiterated on Monday, welcoming media reports on the potential abolishment of the controversial 'Troika' missions.

Greece's prime minister Alexis Tsipras on Monday welcomed media reports according to which the highly unpopular Troika missions could be abolished and reiterated his stance that the recently-formed government will negotiate with its lenders and does not seek an alternative solution, such as a bilateral loan from Russia.

"I want to assure you that the new Greek government will make full use of the mandate given by the people. A mandate to negotiate strongly within the European framework," Tsipras said at a joint press conference in Nicosia with Cyprian president Nikos Anastasiades. "I must admit, I was not expecting to find so many strong forces that will help the work of the new government to change the course, not only for Greece but also for Europe."

"The economic crisis is present, the stagnation and deflation are two big traps, so Europe must go ahead with bold decisions to return to a growth agenda," he added.

Abolish Troika

On insider reports, published by the German paper Handelsblatt, that the Troika (consisting of the European Commission, the European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund) will be abolished and replaced by another supervisory body, both Tsipras and Anastasiades agreed that it was a step in the right direction.

"The Troika abolishment is a mature development for Europe. It is a necessary step, because Europe needs space to breathe after four hard years...If it is confirmed, the Troika cancellation would be a good start," Tsipras said.

When asked to comment on reports that Greece might seek a bilateral loan from Russia if talks with its creditors failed, Tsipras said: "I am now in a meaningful negotiation process with our EU partners, and those who lend us money, we have obligations toward them. There is no other idea currently on the table."

His comments came after the Greek vice minister for interior George Katrougalos claimed that German taxpayers - together with their peers in other euro area members - will get nothing if Greece has to leave the currency bloc, giving the starkest-ever warning to Europe.

"No one, including the Germans, will get anything if Greece goes bankrupt," Katrougalos told the German daily Bild in an interview.

source

Reason: