Eurozone to get new head as Juncker bows out

Eurozone finance ministers will get a new head on Monday, outgoing chair Jean-Claude Juncker said, with the Netherlands expected to take the helm as the single currency bloc rides out the debt storm. "The Dutch finance minister presented his candidature which is a good one and the decision will be taken next Monday," Juncker, Luxembourg's prime minister, said after meeting Jeroen Dijsselbloem Friday.

Juncker, well known for his sociable disposition, welcomed Dijsselbloem with a bear hug and smiles before ushering him to his seat surrounded by press photographers.

Dijsselbloem, who had said Thursday he would formally announce his candidacy when meeting Juncker, told reporters he would tell his colleagues Monday of how he saw the future after more than three years of a debilitiating debt crisis.

"I want to thank Juncker for his work at the Eurogroup ... (and) all the advice he has given me as a newcomer to this financial world," said Dijsselbloem, 46, who was only named Dutch finance minister in November.

"We'll see Monday how it goes. My French colleague has asked for a presentation of ... (my) vision for the Eurogroup," he said.

read more ...