Mq4 backtester terrible

Hi

I have excellent history data - and when I test a stratergy that buys only once a day with only a tp and sl, I get wildly different results if I test using 1min, 15min or 60min timeframes.

I was originally just testing on 1hr timeframe - and was getting excellent results.

What a hassle - how totally unreliable.

Just wanted everyone to be aware - backtesting is up the creek.

yes, only way is forward testing, and even that is variable becuase different brokers give off slightly different signals.

Welcome to the club! that's an old news . But I still didn't get it. If MT4 backtest is unreliable, why it's developer didn'tt fix it?

Maybe they are working at it. Or it would cost too much to get a "perfect" solution.

Yes

Makes one doubt the whole MQ4 system. Backtesting should be so simple.

Yes.. but at least i like the charting of MT. Even though i have no idea how hard it is to code backtesting because i don't know programming.

With good data Idont see a problem

You should make sure that the increased volatility present in the data on the lower time period charts is not was is causing your trades to be irradic. I would guess that for the most part your system would decrease in performance as your time frame gets smaller (ie 1 hour down to 1 min). Remember backtesting is only a simulation practice meant to help you evaluate your idea that is based on fundamental characteristics of the market. Not a tool to create new ideas and discover the jackpot. After running the backtester you should open the chart and see if it appears to be make trades at te same place you would if you adherd to your trading rules. Let me know what you see.

Oh ya one last thing...with poor data you may get results that appear too goodto be true.

Reason: