MT4 strategy tester fills up my computer's hard disk like crazy !!!

Have you ever come across this problem?

I am using my MT4 strategy tester to test an EA and after some (about 40-50) runs for a 2 year period (in 30M timeframe) my computer's main hard drive (C drive) fills up !!!

I used WinDirStat to find out which program took all that space and I found that MT4 strategy tester log files were about 200Gb, yes Gigabytes !!!

Can anyone explain that? 

Eleni Anna Branou:

Have you ever come across this problem?

I am using my MT4 strategy tester to test an EA and after some (about 40-50) runs for a 2 year period (in 30M timeframe) my computer's main hard drive (C drive) fills up !!!

I used WinDirStat to find out which program took all that space and I found that MT4 strategy tester log files were about 200Gb, yes Gigabytes !!!

Can anyone explain that? 

1. You are probably outputting too much "debug" Print statements to your logs
  2. You have too many Order modifications being made on every single tick (which is bad coding)
  3. You are using constant placement and deleting of pending orders (also not good coding)
  4. It is a scalper with many trades per minute which fills up the logs

Do any of these reasons come to mind?

Hello Fernardo,

I don't do my own coding so I wouldn't know if its a coding flaw.

The EA takes about 1300 trades in 2 years, its not a scalper (only 2-3 trades a day), so it couldn't be that. 

The strange thing is that I was doing tests for months in 1H timeframe and didn't had this problem.

All started when I began to test a new EA in 30M timeframe !!!

Eleni Anna Branou:

Hello Fernardo,

I don't do my own coding so I wouldn't know if its a coding flaw.

The EA takes about 1300 trades in 2 years, its not a scalper (only 2-3 trades a day), so it couldn't be that. 

The strange thing is that I was doing tests for months in 1H timeframe and didn't had this problem.

All started when I began to test a new EA in 30M timeframe !!!

Then have a look at the log (with a viewer able to open such large files) and see what is being output.

It could be error messages due to flawed code which you are not aware of.

EDIT: Alternatively, run the test for only a month of data so that the log file is not so big and you can open it with a normal text editor to see what it is outputting so much!

I will try that, thank you Fernardo !!!

Fernando Carreiro: EDIT: Alternatively, run the test for only a month of data so that the log file is not so big and you can open it with a normal text editor to see what it is outputting so much!
If a normal text editor, can't open it because of its size, try OpenOffice or MS Word.
Reason: