kill zombie EA process - page 2

bjoern:

Thanks. That was the tip I needed.

But there are still a few things I don't understand or that I don't like:

(1) Why does MetaTrader open several chart windows of the same type (e.g. EURUSD.H1). Shouldn't there be exactly one chart for each combination of currency pair and period?

MT4 allows you to decide how many charts of the same symbol you have open . . . you opened them, why did you open more than one ?

(2) If there is a good reason to open several chart windows per instrument-period pair (which I doubt), why does MetaTrader hide these windows in such a way that they can only be found with an insider key combination?

They aren't hidden . . . it can't show them all as tabs, there isn't room, hence the > telling you there are more.

(3) My EA opens the file new.csv for writing, not for appending. How did several instances of it manage to write to this file?

As each file writes another will overwrite . . . the last EA to write at the start of the file will be the data that remains at the start of the file . . . each EA will remember the position it got to in the file, if there is another EA's adat after that it will be overwritten. There is a lot of data you have lost . . .

Ovo:
He can see immediately which windows run EAs - by pressing Alt+W.
Thank you, I am not aware of that.

angevoyageur:
Thank you, I am not aware of that.

If I cannot remember a keyboard shortcut, here is a nice list to help:

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/software-platforms/16915-meta-trader-shortcuts-useful-forex-trading.html

In fact I knew the keyboard shortcut, but never pay attention that it shows the running EA.

Thank you again, for the link.

As each file writes another will overwrite . . . the last EA to write at the start of the file will be the data that remains at the start of the file . . . each EA will remember the position it got to in the file, if there is another EA's adat after that it will be overwritten. There is a lot of data you have lost . . .

I don''t quite understand these sentences. What do you mean by "As each file writes another will overwrite"?

Anyway, I don't understand that several instances of a EA are allowed to write to the same file. I think that is not a good idea.

bjoern:

I don''t quite understand these sentences. What do you mean by "As each file writes another will overwrite"?

It wasn't the best crafted sentence I admit . . . let me try again.

Image you have 2 EAs and they start at the same time, they both think they are at the start of the file, EA 1 gets some ticks and writes 4 lines to the file, then EA 2 gets some ticks and overwrites the first 3 lines, then EA 1 gets more ticks and writes lines 5 to 9 . . . so now you have a file with the first 3 lines from EA 2, then the next 6 lines from EA 1

Is that clearer ? it gets more complex with 4 EAs . . .

Thanks to all who participated in this thread. My problem has been solved. And I have a better understanding of the user interface of MetaTrader now.
Reason: