Please Help. GBPUSD Chart History Missing

Hi,

I am clueless how to fix this problem.

All or most of all my 2012 candle history is missing from GBPUSD.

I attached an image.

I cannot do backtesting with all this information missing.

Please help.

Thanks,

Jeff

There are allot of options available for fixing missing data. Do a search on this forum and choose a method which works for you.

jbozman:

Hi,

I am clueless how to fix this problem.

All or most of all my 2012 candle history is missing from GBPUSD.

I attached an image.

No you didn't . . . use this:

Haven't used forum often enough to know what to do, what not to do.

Raptor, please don't take this the wrong way, but I didn't get the intent of your message. I see you're a moderator here, yet I feel like I was being scolded about uploading versus attaching a file. Sorry if I didn't follow procedures like most of the tech people here understand. I don't do this often enough to know. I'm not a metatrader programmer. I'm just someone who is trying to use MT4 to get ahead in life, you know?

Also, when I answer people in other forums, I provide a solution. And in no way am I coming off or trying to sound disrespectful because I don't know how this forum works. But it would be really helpful to really be given a solution.

For example:

"Here's a link to a page that has a solution. Brokers typically take a while to get back, so here's how you can actually populate the missing data or data getting it from MIG."

You know, something like that? Is that not how this forum works? I'm not a programmer, guys...I'm just like the billions of people out there who is trying to trade forex and get ahead financially.

I'm doing more searching and the more searching I'm doing, the more I'm finding people saying the same thing about missing data. I tried contacting MIG and haven't heard back.

So since my demo platform is MIG, and there are tech people who "might" have MIG at this forum in particular, is it possible to have someone export the missing MIG data and send it to me via a CSV file and then provide me with a way to upload it into my MT4?

That would be so helpful...the kind of help I'm really needing....if this is a possible solution.

So I ask again, please please please...can any tech person understand how grateful I'd be if someone supplied an answer instead of "try searching for the answer" solution?

This has to be really easy for you tech guys. This is the metatrader forum. You probably have dreams about this stuff:)

When I was in sales, I provided great service to my customers. I didn't care if the answer was so obvious to me that it hurt. It's about providing a solution that would help that person.

Is having someone who has MIG in this forum to export the missing data to me a solution? Or is there a better way that can be shared so I can solve this issue?

I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S....the attached image with the missing data period is below. Thanks to any and all who can help.

jbozman:

Raptor, please don't take this the wrong way, but I didn't get the intent of your message. I see you're a moderator here, yet I feel like I was being scolded about uploading versus attaching a file. Sorry if I didn't follow procedures like most of the tech people here understand. I don't do this often enough to know. I'm not a metatrader programmer. I'm just someone who is trying to use MT4 to get ahead in life, you know?

You said "I attached an image. " but there was no image attached to your post . . . you can't attach an image using Attach file, you have to use the Image ICON . . . just like I showed in the image I attached . . . I was just trying to help.

As for trying to answer your question . . . well I thought the image you were trying to attach might have been relevant to your question so I thought I'd wait to see it first . . .

jbozman:

So I ask again, please please please...can any tech person understand how grateful I'd be if someone supplied an answer instead of "try searching for the answer" solution?

This has to be really easy for you tech guys. This is the metatrader forum. You probably have dreams about this stuff:)

Data issues are one of the most commonly asked about issues . . . the first thing you need to realise is that there is no central market for Forex, why does this matter ? well fort take an example of the London Stock Exchange quoting UK shares, there is one market, whoever you get a price from for a particular share it will be the same price, there is one market and one price, the same is not true for Forex, each Broker can have their own prices. When you open a MT4 account the terminal will download a little historical data, for D1 this will go back some years, for M1 it will go back maybe a month . . . the Historical data you can get from your Broker is limited.

So what are the alternatives ?

• get data from MetaQuotes via the History Center
  • get data from a 3rd party such as Forextester or tick data and convert it to hst files using the CSV2FXT script
  • buy data from a 3rd party

Even when people get a source of data they invariably have issues getting it into MT4 because they don't take any time to research and investigate what is going on . . . what MT4 is doing with the data. They end up fighting with MT4 and get frustrated . . . for example: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/144874

jbozman:

Umm, don't take this the wrong way jbozman.

Most people here are just like you, only some of us are trying to help others. I'm no tech-guy, geek, nerd ... never have and probably never would be. I worked in customer service until I toke up blackjack which got me interested in risk ventures. I had a un-healthy fear of programming until I convinced myself that if I wanted to write and test my trading strategies, I'd need to learn mql4, and pretty much thats the only programming language I know well.

With that said, there's an endless amount of information on fixing data, and the solution is very particular to what the person asking is trying to do. When I first read your question, I was tempted to provide a set of links and explain how to import data. But now that you've explained more about what you're looking for, I realize I made the right call when I said "which works for you".

The most common missing data is when someone downloads historical data from metaQuotes server and finds that it's missing months of m1_data.

The other and what you're experiencing is the broker data is missing either because the broker doesn't have it or because you need to scroll back.

Other missing data include, Tick_Data | Accurate_M1 data [ Same_Broker ] or [ Different_Broker], 5_digit vs 4_digits etc.

Should I have just provided links ( because I'm not going to write out these instructions every-time someone asks ) to solve the issue of downloading historical m1 data [common case], I would have been wasting both your_time and mines because what you're looking for is Missing_data_from_MIG.

When someone asks generic questions like "How do I download missing data?". They do-not realize, it's not so simple to answer. When someone contacts Technical Support and says "My computer does not work". The person cannot get mad at the support rep who asks them "Is the computer plugged". Unfortunately, allot of people asking questions here wants to type a line or two saying "this doesn't work" and expects that someone here knows what that means. And that someone here should type up 3_paragraphs explaining the solutions.

We're not metaQuotes Staff, I'm not getting paid to provide "Excellent Customer Service". If you want to spend 3_years of your time providing help to people on this forum as I have then by all means go ahead. When you start doing that and searching for all possible links when someone asks a question like yours, then we'll be on the same page.

If you've done your research, then you probably ran into the Scroll_Back solution for your missing data. If you scroll back and cannot download the missing data then good chance the broker doesn't provide that much data. Most brokers aren't going to provide much more than 3_months of m1 data. Because thats allot of bars. Example if you need monthly bars, brokers can provide more of those, because thats just 12 bars per year. Anyways, If you cannot get the missing bars to download that way, then contact the broker and see if they have it_stored_in_csv file or something. More than likely they wouldn't, should they have it then you'll want to research how to import data into mt4 [if you don't already know how]. Should they not have it, then you'll want to probably|maybe go with a different broker's complete data which you can download and import. Depends on what you want.

I'm sure I've written instructions similar to above before. And if you're wondering .... No, I'm not gonna type the same spew for the next person who's going to be asking this same question within the next hour. The more research they do, the better for both of us.

Thanks, Raptor. That was very helpful. I'm very, very appreciative.

I'm not doing this to test an EA or anything where I need really exact data. I trade support/resistance levels. If it's off a bit, I'm okay with that. I need the data to generate emas or stochastics and, of course, candles on the chart, most importantly for price action. The indicators are just flat...from there not being any data/candles.

With that said, I went to "Download" from within the history center, and Metaquotes said the data isn't generated from MIG, but from Metaquotes, and cannot be used in case of dispute. Well, this is demo. I just need data for this period. Are you suggesting that I can just download this year's worth of data to fill in the missing chart data this way....as long as I don't need "exact" data? I'm hoping it's "close" enough....meaning that 100 pip candle from non-farm payroll would show up. It's not that inaccurate, is it?

Again, I'm not needing it exactly as from MIG because it's demo. I just need to study price action and have my indicators generate other than flat lines.

Just to let you know that I'm not completely helpless, I did go to FXTester...they do not have MIG data to purchase. But again, it's not for some secret strategy. I just need data to populate GBP/USD.

Also, if you are suggesting to download via the History Center of MT4, upon hitting download, do I select the exact dates (4.14.2011 - 5.12.2012) and then download it and then what? Does MT4 take care of the rest? Should the gap then disappear? Or do I need to do something else with the data? Does it even download into MT4 or does a cvs file get generated and then I need to do something with that?

Again, much thanks-

Jeff

P.S.
I used to build training for corporate america...american express, prudential real estate, etc. Hence, all the questions. What seems obvious to experts isn't so with someone who has no past information to recall. It's the same phenomenon of a deer caught in the headlights...well, run you freaking dumb ass animal! But deers have no concept of a car or these lights, right? So BAM! Venison steaks for everyone! So I would go in and ask a subject matter expert, like yourself, the steps of the process, and then build tutorials so someone needing an answer to a question, just like I had, could go and watch a video on how to do something.

I've been out of work for some time due to the economy. Here's a shot in the dark, but I would love to support this forum and create tutorials to help people like myself with creating "How To" videos. Unfortunately, I'd need to get paid. I am running on fumes right now. Does Metaquotes hire people or is this a "free" community? The part I don't get is all the brokers support MT4 for forex, but who pays for the development work? Does each broker get charged? Again, I would love to put my skills to work...if there was a job needed for someone to do this. But first things, first...getting this damn GBPUSD data. Cheers!

jbozman:

Thanks, Raptor. That was very helpful. I'm very, very appreciative.

I'm not doing this to test an EA or anything where I need really exact data. I trade support/resistance levels. If it's off a bit, I'm okay with that. I need the data to generate emas or stochastics and, of course, candles on the chart, most importantly for price action. The indicators are just flat...from there not being any data/candles.

With that said, I went to "Download" from within the history center, and Metaquotes said the data isn't generated from MIG, but from Metaquotes, and cannot be used in case of dispute. Well, this is demo. I just need data for this period. Are you suggesting that I can just download this year's worth of data to fill in the missing chart data this way....as long as I don't need "exact" data? I'm hoping it's "close" enough....meaning that 100 pip candle from non-farm payroll would show up. It's not that inaccurate, is it?

Again, I'm not needing it exactly as from MIG because it's demo. I just need to study price action and have my indicators generate other than flat lines.

Just to let you know that I'm not completely helpless, I did go to FXTester...they do not have MIG data to purchase. But again, it's not for some secret strategy. I just need data to populate GBP/USD.

Also, if you are suggesting to download via the History Center of MT4, upon hitting download, do I select the exact dates (4.14.2011 - 5.12.2012) and then download it and then what? Does MT4 take care of the rest? Should the gap then disappear? Or do I need to do something else with the data? Does it even download into MT4 or does a cvs file get generated and then I need to do something with that?

Download a Demo from any Broker, install it in C:\MT4Installs\Broker_name\ ( never in Program Files ) and try it . . . I gave a step by step in the link I posted.

If you want to help here thats great, just like all the other Users here and Moderators you will be doing it for free in your own time to help other Users . . .

jbozman:

Raptor, please don't take this the wrong way, but I didn't get the intent of your message. I see you're a moderator here, yet I feel like I was being scolded about uploading versus attaching a file.

Yes.......quite!

patrick007:
Thanks for the help
Reason: