To have the ability to import your own data in MT5 is it important for you ? - page 7

Ubzen:

You mentioned the buzz word "What is a tick?", so I decided to re-read the work of the contributers who came before us. Everyone had their definition of tick. Perhaps you'd like to tell the 66% (@current_votes) who voted non-critical what a tick is. If you miss a tick, it does-not necessarily mean that you missed a change in price. A tick can be as-large-as 100_pips during news time if the broker wanted.

Building a strategy on tick-price-action is very tricky business. I/MySelf/Personally decided a long-time ago to avoid building strategies around tick-data. But if you can make it work for you, then good for you. I just fail to see how someone missing 100_pips or just 2_pips could guarantee entering at the same price as another who didn't miss any ticks. One thing is for certain, the 2_people are not entering at the same time. I know for a fact, that you're not going to enter @ the same price unless it comes back down. So are you going to enter anyway because you missed a tick and forfeit the 2 missed pips or are you going to sit-out as the example intended? Either way, everything is not the same.

Testing a system which can overcome misses in price and/or direction is what I decided to focus on.

From an MT4 perspective a tick is a change in Bid, Ask or both,  also,  from what I have read,  but not yet witnessed,  a change in other information independent of price,  such as TickValue, or other MarketInfo type information.  This may also apply to MT5 but I don't know it to be fact.

A 100 pip tick during news time is in fact a change in price . . . a big one I admit,  but it is still a change in price.

RaptorUK: A 100 pip tick during news time is in fact a change in price . . . a big one I admit,  but it is still a change in price.

So how do you intend to correct the 100_pips that you've missed?

Buy@ the higher price || sit-out (damm i missed the trade) || wait for price to return and correct your mistake.

Ubzen:

So how do you intend to correct the 100_pips that you've missed?

Buy@ the higher price || sit-out (damm i missed the trade) || wait for price to return and correct your mistake.

I don't concern myself with things like that,  a 100 pip trade is just the same as a 10 pip trade or a 50 pip trade . . .  I have never tested any of my own EAs with fixed position sizes always with position sizes based on risk so any trade is worth much the same as any other trade,  for the same account size.

This is all very hypothetical though,  I'm still looking at ideas not planning code or writing it yet and am a long way away from testing anything in MT4  . . .  it may never get to even the first stage,  and you want to know how I plan to trade it ?

I read through the Russian thread earlier, from what I can gather the argument was mainly about why Metaquotes isn't providing tick data . . .  and the response was it would be "commercial suicide" to do so,  I agree.  I don't want Metaquotes to provide me with tick data,  I just want them to allow me to have control of my testing environment. 

Run a Strategy test on MT5 at less than full speed . . . while it's running disconnect from your Broker by logging in with a incorrect ID . . . .  why does the Strategy Tester need to stop running ?  

Imagine I've been testing an EA for 3 weeks,  making some changes as I go and overnight Alpari have a server crash and lose some History data,  when I connect tomorrow I get a data update and now my testing has changed without me even realising it,  how is this not a crazy situation for a Test Engineer to be in ? so I chase my tail trying to find why my EA has better or worse performance and eventually re-test a version from a week ago and get different results than I did a week ago . . . how do I diagnose that the history data has changed ? 

RaptorUK:

1> This is all very hypothetical though,  I'm still looking at ideas not planning code or writing it yet and am a long way away from testing anything in MT4  . . .  it may never get to even the first stage,  and you want to know how I plan to trade it ?

2> I read through the Russian thread earlier, from what I can gather the argument was mainly about why Metaquotes isn't providing tick data . . .  and the response was it would be "commercial suicide" to do so,  I agree.  I don't want Metaquotes to provide me with tick data,  I just want them to allow me to have control of my testing environment. 

3> Run a Strategy test on MT5 at less than full speed . . . while it's running disconnect from your Broker by logging in with a incorrect ID . . . .  why does the Strategy Tester need to stop running ?  

4>Imagine I've been testing an EA for 3 weeks,  making some changes as I go and overnight Alpari have a server crash and lose some History data,  when I connect tomorrow I get a data update and now my testing has changed without me even realising it,  how is this not a crazy situation for a Test Engineer to be in ? so I chase my tail trying to find why my EA has better or worse performance and eventually re-test a version from a week ago and get different results than I did a week ago . . . how do I diagnose that the history data has changed ? 

1> Sorry, taught you had the answer 8P. That would have been sweet.

2> He also said something about technologically impossible. Data-Size handling. My first taught was how other-platforms can handle this .... but whatever.

3> I haven't tested this. I did disconnect with the bogus proxy method. Ran the back-test on full speed and it worked.

4> Option #3 above, but that raises another question, can I have two-copies of mt5 on the same computer... here goes one more thing I've gotta go test.

Ubzen:

1> Sorry, taught you had the answer 8P. That would have been sweet.

2> He also said something about technologically impossible. Data-Size handling. My first taught was how other-platforms can handle this .... but whatever.

3> I haven't tested this. I did disconnect with the bogus proxy method. Ran the back-test on full speed and it worked.

4> Option #3 above, but that raises another question, can I have two-copies of mt5 on the same computer... here goes one more thing I've gotta go test.

1.  Not yet,  but I'm working on it,  aren't we all ;-)

2.  I think that was all about downloading GBs of tick data so a user could perform a 10 year Back Test . . . I already have GBs of tick data for many currency pairs,  why do I need to get more  . . . .

I'm new to MT5,  just as you are,  why isn't someone shouting at us . . . or just me, and calling me an idiot and telling me how to do what everyone that tests an EA in the MT5 Strategy Tester needs to do ? I can't understand why nobody seems to think that hoping that the History data they are using today is the same as yesterday is a bad thing to rely on . . .  I am an optimist but I don't use hope to maintain a testing system.  

Maybe I am missing something,  maybe I need to read more ?  MT5 Strategy Tester for Dummies maybe ?

RaptorUK: 2.  I think that was all about downloading GBs of tick data so a user could perform a 10 year Back Test . . . I already have GBs of tick data for many currency pairs,  why do I need to get more  . . . .

3> I'm new to MT5,  just as you are,  why isn't someone shouting at us . . . or just me, and calling me an idiot and telling me how to do what everyone that tests an EA in the MT5 Strategy Tester needs to do ? I can't understand why nobody seems to think that hoping that the History data they are using today is the same as yesterday is a bad thing to rely on . . .  I am an optimist but I don't use hope to maintain a testing system.  

Maybe I am missing something,  maybe I need to read more ?  MT5 Strategy Tester for Dummies maybe ?

2> The title of the Post was "Algorithm of ticks in the Strategy Tester of MetaTrader 5". And I'm pretty sure allot of people were talking about Importing Tick-Data within that topic. One way or another the importing thing came up. The CEO pretty much shut the suggestions down. This man does-not strike me as a dummie. Neither does the team of people around him. They know what we're asking for but somehow cannot deliver.

3> I think maybe allot of people just give-up. Developed their systems on Period_M1 and moved on. I don't see this as a mt5 problem, I see this as a meta-trader problem. You and I may have started with mt4 but this could have been going on since mt3 || mt2 || mt1. The disconnect from the broker and keeping your development/data environment away from the broker was adopted by both of us. However, you believed in tick-data and went for it. I didn't. But we both believe that the data we have should stay the same from test-to-test.

- Like I stated earlier, this tick-import ability was never designed into mt4. 3rd parties had to find a manner of incorporating it. As they'll be forced to-do yet again. Yep, I feel like I'm learning the platform all over again. Honestly, I made the move mostly because I believe in mt5-power and want-to study object-oriented-programming. In short, I want to turn mt5 into a better mt4-strategy tester. I don't have any immediate plans on moving my live accounts to this thing. Time will tell how that works out.

it would be useful ,

it depend upon strategy applied...

RaptorUK:

Run a Strategy test on MT5 at less than full speed . . . while it's running disconnect from your Broker by logging in with a incorrect ID . . . .  why does the Strategy Tester need to stop running ?  

ST is running offline without any problems, if you are experiencing such problems, install another MT5 instance and use it for offline testing.

Hello angevoyageur,

First, thank you for presenting me an opportunity to place a vote on this topic. I voted 'Critical' because I believe its imperative to test any tick based strategy on real tick data. Entry/exit signals are a pinnacle priority when developing a tick based trading strategy and if tester ticks aren't accurate, the trading strategy's signal won't deliver a similar result on a live account as it did in the tester. Even if the tester has real tick data, I believe traders should generally be aware of other critical factors such as slippage, re-quotes, trade execution speed and so forth if they wish to prepare their expert advisor for the live trading journey ahead. Real ticks being generated in the tester could potentially improve live trading results exponentially. Every tick counts.

Thank you

graziani:
ST is running offline without any problems, if you are experiencing such problems, install another MT5 instance and use it for offline testing.
How do you set the ST to run "offline" ?
Reason: