Mobile trading-PDA or Smartphone.

Hi,

Sometimes I can not sit in front of my pc and was wondering what would I need to trade with PDA or Smartphone.Obviously, buy one of these devices ,but I am confused what connection to choose,whether buy PDa or Smartphone, which one is more suitable.
I will use MT4 mobile platform and would like to ask somebody to give some guide how to choose this device, connection and all other what is necessary to succesfully trade with this devices.
I want use it only for trading.

Thanks,

Jan

Don't confuse the PDA's and the Smartphones. I have a Qtek 9000. It's a PocketPC phone. Both PocketPC and Symbian devices have real operating systems, while Smartphones are just enhanced mobile phones with more advanced "operating systems" than the regular ones. Windows Mobile for PocketPC is not the same as Windows Mobile for Smartphones. Due to this difference, it is very possible that Metatrader Mobile won't work on a Smartphone. You should know that Metatrader Mobile does not includes Custom Indicators and Expert Advisors (so it can't trade by itself, for now). Anyway, MT4 Mobile looks outstanding on my brand new pocketpc (Qtek 9000 has a VGA display). For now I'm looking for some advice on using the API on the pocketpc, as an alternative to the lack of Expert Advisors facility.
However, before buying an expensive toy like this, be sure about the broker and the services. For example, you might check the Strategy Runner's website. It's expensive, but you no longer need any phone, computer, or internet connection, cause the Expert Advisors are uploaded and run from their servers.
Take these into consideration when choosing your devices, trading style, broker, and so on.

A side topic, with your Qtek (i have one too), do you stay connected all the time? If yes, how much time is your battery duration?
Mine drains in about 3 hours :((.

And on the chart page, price's fonts display is big or small?

Well Arnaud, it's true about the battery. GPRS drains it out fast. However, I solved the problem with a secondary charger. The font is readble if I hold it in my hand. If I'm away above 1.5 m I can't read the price. But the real issue is the connectivity. Connection fails VERY frequently. This would render unusable even a fully working Expert Advisor and made thinking at a cutting edge solution, something like Strategy Runner, but made by me using a free server, reducing the PPc role to a viewer-editor of strategies. Now when I write this I'm waiting a my Visual Studio 2005 order. I was a good programmer a long time ago, but I have to learn again if I want to succeed.

Connection fails VERY frequently.

Strange. Here in Spain with VOdafone it works perfectly. May be your provider.

This would render unusable even a fully working Expert Advisor and made thinking at a cutting edge solution, something like Strategy Runner, but made by me using a free server, reducing the PPc role to a viewer-editor of strategies.

I am not yet devising such system (i am looking for one actually) but your best shot would be to have an inhouse server (with UPS protection) on which the expert system is and of which you can take control through your PPC and modify paremeters and so forth.

Connection fails VERY frequently.

Strange. Here in Spain with VOdafone it works perfectly. May be your provider.

This would render unusable even a fully working Expert Advisor and made thinking at a cutting edge solution, something like Strategy Runner, but made by me using a free server, reducing the PPc role to a viewer-editor of strategies.

I am not yet devising such system (i am looking for one actually) but your best shot would be to have an inhouse server (with UPS protection) on which the expert system is and of which you can take control through your PPC and modify paremeters and so forth.

I am from Romania, my provider is Orange. Another great Romanian operator is Connex (under Vodafone control). They implemented 3G, while Orange is still at 2.5 (EDGE). I hate their style - almost impossible to contact technical support; they never provided any unlimited connection tariff plan (not even with WAP, God sake) .
However, with Orange the GPRS connection falls rarely. But the server connection falls frequently. When it falls, I do the following: shut down GPRS; get to flight mode (all wireless off) ; flight mode off (GSM on) -> reenter PIN code ; restart GPRS; then connection establishes .
You are perfectly right about the inhouse server and parameter control. I've spoken with the guys from my ISP (the connection I have at home) and they said they will put the program on their server (which is connected 24/24) - meaning I could write it in VB.NET . Control from PPC would be hard - they complained about possible security issues - so I thought it could be made via internet. I make a website and I post there commands for the program (like on a forum). The website gives each command a key. After each 1 - 5 minutes the program checks the last command. If the last executed key is different than the last command key, searches for the last executed command in the command chain and executes the remaining commands, then publishes their keys in the list of executed commands. It shoudn't be too complicated.
Anyway, I'm a beginner. I had too many problems with discretionary trading with Oanda (great broker, but the lack of wireless solutions and that overexpensive API are too much). Now that I've learned about discretionary trading (Great book - Dirk du Toit's "Bird Watching in Lion country" - I have it in a PDF) I said - let's give it a try to those automate solutions. Dirk criticizes automate trading, but I said: perhaps the problem is the improper leverage and the signal filtering system: if you try filtering false positives, you will avoid also good trades. Let's say the volatility decreases and the market enters sideways movement. If you filter MA cross signals, you will also filter the good trade, which is always the last cross in a sideways market. If I would test it without having the chance to trade, it would be worthless. First - I have to be sure about the possibility to trade (the automated trading program) and then tune in the strategy.

P.S. I am not like the guys going there to collect strawberries or anything else! Romanians don't know a thing about markets. If we elliminate the bank dealers, we're probably under 100 forex traders in the entire country.

Don't confuse the PDA's and the Smartphones. I have a Qtek 9000. It's a PocketPC phone. Both PocketPC and Symbian devices have real operating systems, while Smartphones are just enhanced mobile phones with more advanced "operating systems" than the regular ones. Windows Mobile for PocketPC is not the same as Windows Mobile for Smartphones. Due to this difference, it is very possible that Metatrader Mobile won't work on a Smartphone. You should know that Metatrader Mobile does not includes Custom Indicators and Expert Advisors (so it can't trade by itself, for now). Anyway, MT4 Mobile looks outstanding on my brand new pocketpc (Qtek 9000 has a VGA display). For now I'm looking for some advice on using the API on the pocketpc, as an alternative to the lack of Expert Advisors facility.
However, before buying an expensive toy like this, be sure about the broker and the services. For example, you might check the Strategy Runner's website. It's expensive, but you no longer need any phone, computer, or internet connection, cause the Expert Advisors are uploaded and run from their servers.
Take these into consideration when choosing your devices, trading style, broker, and so on.

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for your opinion and advice.

Yes, you are right, on mobile platform I can't use Custom indicators which is bad.

After talking to local trader who is using PDA with wi-fi I will try this probably.I live in area which is covered quite good with hot-spots.
What do you think about this? I was advised that gprs is slow and expensive ,although coverage is better.

regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

I don't know about WiFi. In our town Internet was implemented recently by a small ISP using local area network wires (UTP cable). It is not a good Internet. Connection falls often. Before it, another ISP controlled the town. They used at that time a WiFi connection. The modem was expensive, and Internet was lousy (we tried for a half of hour to send an e-mail). There are a few isues about WiFi.
1). WiFi is not automatically good. It's just a Local Network Without Wires. All that it matters is the ISP's connection to it's provider, and how does it shares the band to the users. So if it takes a 256k band and shares it to 50 users, you can imagine what kind of Internet you're dealing with.
2) There are two kinds of WiFi: 802.11b and 802.11g. 802.11b is an older standard. I don't know if devices supporting 802.11g are also compatible with 802.11b or these standards are not compatible at all between themselves.
3) GPRS gives you total freedom of movement. WiFi is a limited freedom. Works only in the hotspot.
4) Devices with both GPRS and WiFI are much more expensive than devices with only one of them. (Older versions of Treo have GPRS; Palm Tungsten C has WiFi)
5) The access point at the hotspot should cover 100-200 m. However, if the building is made up by armed concrete walls (i.e. with metal structure) there's no way you can make it work. It reduces to the room where you install the hotspot. (An engineer from my town called this "Faraday's cage").
6) GPRS is not necesarilly slow; this depends upon your device . Look at what is called GPRS class. This class is up to 10 (the highest) (mobile phones have classes between 6 and 10 - for example, Motorola C350 is class 8). EDGE, which is an improved GPRS, working on EDGE-compatible devices, is much faster, under 3G standard, and could be called as GPRS class 30.
7) GPRS is a lot more expensive than WiFi. Anyway, this depends upon the carrier. When we were dreaming about Internet in our town, before Orange launched the WAP Unlimited in Romania, in Germany T-Mobile already launched Unlimited GPRS. If you dig it further, you may find strange things about the subject. For example, Orange already launched in Romania Unlimited GPRS tariff plans. But one year before the launch of WAP Unlimited in Romania, all French carriers dropped the Unlimited WAP (that was 6 EUR/month, and the users had to sign something like an agreement about a non-abusive usage of WAP - meaning no more than 12 MB/mth). ORANGE France kept Unlimited WAP for 200 (!!) EUR/mth. At that time, in Singapore, unlimited GPRS was ~ 30 USD/mth, while in Slovenia was 1 MB was ~ 10 USD. Some carriers even used to disconnect users after an hour of usage. These things were happening in 2000 - 2001.

Returning to the speed problem, GPRS should be good for MetaTrader Mobile. It doesn't uses too much (kind of 4 MB / 8 hrs).

Other problems that you have to study are PDA issues. I have now some problems with my Qtek that I can't solve:
- for example, often shuts down without any warning (I am still seeking for answers on www.pocketpcthoughs.com)
- you need a GPRS monitor utility. There are no freeware, but perhaps Spb GPRS Monitor would be freely provided with the device.
- I can't be called while in GPRS. Perhaps the problem is solvable with a program that shuts GPRS down when sees an incoming call.
- Pocket Mechanic is a MUST. Internet explorer's cache grows. Also, MT4 Mobile creates some logs which consume the storage. These files have to be wiped out. (Two weeks ago, when MT4 wasn't at build 190), there were no news available, and my pocket RSS could not update the news when I needed. Friday I was at home, but I saw the payroll number 5 minutes after it was released (on www.dailyfx.com) - that may be too late)
- Sometimes applications cannot be uninstalled completely. I was adviced to soft reset and then try again.
- The hard reset does not turns the device to the "factory configuration" . Windows remains, and everything else is deleted. But the changements in Windows (e.g. the registry) remain unaffected.

Besides the PDA issues, if you are in one place during the day and it is covered well by WiFi and connection is good I can't dismiss the idea of using it. (Still remains the problem of server connection - I've seen this has a limited thing to do with the Internet connection). If you don't want to be affected by connectivity issues, work on longer charts.

- for example, often shuts down without any warning (I am still seeking for answers on www.pocketpcthoughs.com)

- The hard reset does not turns the device to the "factory configuration" . Windows remains, and everything else is deleted. But the changements in Windows (e.g. the registry) remain unaffected.

Addressing those 2 issues on the same answer :) :
You should have a look to xda-developers.com. THere are plenty of info there.
What i would do in your case is to initialize everything to standard ROM (you'll find it on the website) and build up what you need and when you have found a standard config back it up (including ROM) in order to be able to restore it whenever you need. When such state is reached, to come back to a stable config should last 5mn at most.

Bogdan,

I make a website and I post there commands for the program

That is exactly what i was planning to do!!! Would you mind sharing it? (my address is astpaul (at) gmail (dot) com

I'd also be interested in making research with other people to find a good trading system. I think there is room for everybody.
Reason: