A question from an old-fashioned trader

If you have a holy grail at your hand suited for manual trade, would you digitize (code) it?

I'm really curious about what experienced network engineers and/or Metatrader professionals would say about this foolish-looking question.

Absolutely. It is my life s quest. If you have been trading for 30 years, as I have, the daily stress is unbearable. Any decent system works if you have discipline , do not get influenced or sidetracked and only machines can deliver a lifestyle . Definitely auto trade for a living manal trading and directional trading are an accident waiting to happen .  The future of trading lies with machines.

Attila Alp Oğuz:

would you digitize (code) it?

You don't have to automate your entire process to gain benefits.

For example, perhaps part of your process is to determine which currency pairs to trade for ForEx. For that, you could build a scanner that looks over the 8 majors or the majors and the minors or even more to see which has activity.

Or maybe you do a lot of buy/sell stop orders. For this you might gain benefit from building a dashboard that tells you where 1, 1.5, 2 ATR's are from the last bar's close, then gives a way to choose a price, SL, and TP based upon these ATR values, then send the order to the broker.

So . . . just from a convenience standpoint, you can build tools to simplify and quicken your process. And you don't have to do this all at once.

Sorry for late reply ...

In fact, I need to code a simple system, not so complicated ... single pair, not so many trades.

My motivation is similar to Olivier.

After nearly 25 years in the trading rooms and later on the screens from 8 am to 8 pm in every working day ... I want to free my days to read more, to take more photos, to work more in the kitchen.

No holy grail of course ... I just would like to learn whether or not it is technically possible, if my broker or a staff there really want to do it.

Attila Alp Oğuz:

Sorry for late reply ...

In fact, I need to code a simple system, not so complicated ... single pair, not so many trades.

My motivation is similar to Olivier.

After nearly 25 years in the trading rooms and later on the screens from 8 am to 8 pm in every working day ... I want to free my days to read more, to take more photos, to work more in the kitchen.

No holy grail of course ... I just would like to learn whether or not it is technically possible, if my broker or a staff there really want to do it.

From my experience (as professional coder working with professional traders), the most difficult part is to translate your manual trading in objective rules. All (true) traders I know have great difficulties to do that, as very often a serious part of the strategie(s) is based on feeling and experience.

So the difficulty is not so much a coding one, but an software engineering one.

Alain Verleyen:

From my experience (as professional coder working with professional traders), the most difficult part is to translate your manual trading in objective rules. All (true) traders I know have great difficulties to do that, as very often a serious part of the strategie(s) is based on feeling and experience.

So the difficulty is not so much a coding one, but an software engineering one.

What about the safety of EAs running at home offices?

For eample ... if the networking staff in the brokerage firm really wants to do, can he obtain my code from my PC running Windows and with my known IP (I assume my IP known to broker)?

Maybe difficult ... but any possibility?

As a networking illiterate, I don't have any idea.

Sure that a little bit foolish question for a professional, but I'm really interested in this aspect of digitizing trading systems.

Of course it's possible.

It's good to be suspicious about it.

You can monitor network traffic and encrypt your harddisks.

Attila Alp Oğuz:

What about the safety of EAs running at home offices?

For eample ... if the networking staff in the brokerage firm really wants to do, can he obtain my code from my PC running Windows and with my known IP (I assume my IP known to broker)?

Maybe difficult ... but any possibility?

As a networking illiterate, I don't have any idea.

Sure that a little bit foolish question for a professional, but I'm really interested in this aspect of digitizing trading systems.

Almost all is possible technically, if you have the budget (and/or time and skills). So in general you need a good protection, and specifically for applications dealing with money.

Beside that a broker has a better way to earn money than trying to steal your EA, and doesn't have any specific advantages on your computer. Except if you are paranoid, in which case the best candidate to suspect is Metaquotes and its employees :-D

Ok ... no need to be so sensitive about the subject.

Maybe hackers are more prone to brokers and funds )

https://www.bankinfosecurity.com/hackers-target-trading-algorithms-a-7949

Hackers Steal Trading Algorithms
Hackers Steal Trading Algorithms
  • www.bankinfosecurity.com
Hackers have been stealing the secret algorithms and tactics used by hedge funds and high-frequency trading firms, according to two security companies. Such algorithms can be the lifeblood of a financial firm, and are designed to take advantage - often automatically - of infinitesimal price discrepancies in the stock market that may only last...

Attila Alp Oğuz:

Ok ... no need to be so sensitive about the subject.

Maybe hackers are more prone to brokers and funds )

https://www.bankinfosecurity.com/hackers-target-trading-algorithms-a-7949

If you have a holy grail, it can be stolen even earlier in the creation process:)

So maybe you can start by learning how to program it yourself?

Philipp Negreshniy:

If you have a holy grail, it can be stolen even earlier in the creation process:)

So maybe you can start by learning how to program it yourself?

Surely )

Reason: