Auto Crash - Terminal Automatically Shouts Down (Indicators Overload)

I have been adding few complex indicators on 90% of opened charts. The quantity of opened charts at the same time is around 120. Due to the terminal's system overload (hardware capacity), I get error message saying mt4 terminal has encountered a problem and needs to close. Then it automatically shouts down - upon my click of a button ''ok'' or ''cancel'' (it is trying to fix itself). This message occurs approximately 10 seconds after all charts are already successfully opened and after all indicators are already successfully loaded on each indicator. I am 100% sure the reason is because of particular indicator which seems to cause huge terminal's hardware overload. I imagine it is exceeding allowed capability for over 2000%. Why I am so sure? Becaue I had to close the charts and load them again without particular indicator(s) which is/are causing problem. The problem (auto crash = auto shout down) is gone. I didn't have time to remove from each chart problematic indicator(s) because there were max 10 seconds of time before crashing error occured. So what i did in those seconds is what I already said - closed several charts and then loaded them back without problematic indicator.

However I need this/those indicator(s) that are problematic very much and I am asking you how could I solve this? I have more than enough RAM in my hardware system. Hiring online several, e.g. 30, different remote computers, for at least one year of ownership. Then i go to Freelance market and request a custom job - editing particular indicator so it can provide alerts to phone sms and email too, instead of screen only. This way I could have problematic indicator(s) opened on only few charts at the same time on the SAME computer and I could easily avoid the major problem which prevents me (and it would to anyone else too for sure) to do any kind of work. However, the cost of remote computer ownerships would be very expensive and cannot afford this.

Is anyone aware of any different solution what else could I do? I really want this problematic indicator and on many charts not just few.

Maximum open charts is supposed to be 100 (1 MT4 instance), but I never checked.

MT4 is a 32 bit system, so even if you have "more then enough RAM", one MT4 instance will never use more than (around) 3GB.

Beside that it's hard to help, you are using too much memory most probably, change your settings, fix your code to use less memory. Are you sure you need so much charts open ? If it's manual how can you manage such charts, seems impossible, if it's automated trading, you certainly don't need so much open charts.

If you have 1 indicator which is the problem, you need to find it, no miracle solution exists.

I have 32 GB RAM. Is it possible that I somehow ''manually allow'' MT4 to use more than around 3GB RAM?

Don't have any other, unrelated or related to trading, applications running besides internet browser and skype, that would cause RAM consumption.

The fact is that particular indicator is causing auto crash of entire mt4 terminal due to very very very huge overload on the charts. I must use this indicator on many charts. There is nothing to fix in the code. Yes, I am sure I need so many charts open but hiring ownerships of remote computers is too expensive. It is manual trading only. The key purpose of particular indicator are high quality screen alerts. However in order for them to be produced, the indicator seems to be ''doing'' giant amount of work in the background causing terminal to freeze. It seems to not be able to hold so many charts with this indicator. Consequence is system overload and automated shout down of mt4. I must have indicator on all those charts.

Help what to do would be appreciated.

ClaudiaTTT:

I have 32 GB RAM. Is it possible that I somehow ''manually allow'' MT4 to use more than around 3GB RAM?

Don't have any other, unrelated or related to trading, applications running besides internet browser and skype, that would cause RAM consumption.

The fact is that particular indicator is causing auto crash of entire mt4 terminal due to very very very huge overload on the charts. I must use this indicator on many charts. There is nothing to fix in the code. Yes, I am sure I need so many charts open but hiring ownerships of remote computers is too expensive. It is manual trading only. The key purpose of particular indicator are high quality screen alerts. However in order for them to be produced, the indicator seems to be ''doing'' giant amount of work in the background causing terminal to freeze. It seems to not be able to hold so many charts with this indicator. Consequence is system overload and automated shout down of mt4. I must have indicator on all those charts.

Try to set charts shorter in options (I guess 5000 candles is the lowest number).

32 bit applications have theoretical RAM access to 4GB RAM on a 64-bit system and 2GB on 32-bit systems.

ClaudiaTTT:

Run several MT4 instances.

I am almost sure there is something to fix. I never saw an indicator hanging up MT4 which was not poorly coded or which could not be optimized.

It's NOT normal for an indicator, even with heavy calculation to hang up MT4.

Ex Ovo Omnia: I tried that but it turned out that indicator wasn't showing the same results as on '''normal'' (unchanged) quantity of candles. It still didn't help because particular indicator is a very huge and requires a lot of technical hardware capability. Same problem with lower quantity of candles. The problem is not with my computer but with too weak, from aspect of ability to hold high memory hardware requirements, MT4 terminal. I don't know how to allow it to take more RAM. Came here to ask this question or any other suggestion what to do.

Alain Verleyen: There is nothing wrong in indicator's code because it works accurately. I am obviously willing to send you this indicator also. The problem is in MT4's ability to process large number of technical hardware memory requirements. Do you think the problem may be IF indicator is taking some data from third party server? I don't know if it does. You said that I should run several MT4 instances. I assume you meant that I should install on the same computer but different folders multiple MT4 terminals (i am not aware of term ''instances''). Then although you didn't mention what to do, I assume you were pointing at the following: In each MT4 terminal on the same computer, I should open only few, e.g. max 10% of wanted charts and put on each of those charts in each terminal (all on same computer but different folders) wanted problematic indicator. I believe the consumption of total hardware (ram memory) per entire computer and not per one terminal, will still be the same. Why? Because the consumption will be a sum of all charts in all terminals effecting entire motherboard - entire hardware of computer instead of effecting single terminal only. The consequence would be forced closure of all terminals.

As I stated in previous message, there are several companies whose main business is renting of computer systems, so called Virtual Private Servers or Remote Desktop Protocols. They are years in business, legitimate and trustworthy, offering to all clients longterm assurance they WILL stay in business next week, next month, next year, next decade so no need to worry about what would happen with all data on all (tens of) computers. Approximate uptime is around 99,99% per month - I am referring to the timing when computer is available for single user. Without a doubt, this would be appropriate solution but I cannot afford it. I don't know if I am allowed to advertise (although this wouldn't be advertising at all !!!) but since I don't want to disrespect the terms on your forum, I won't say the website. While looking at particular company offering such services, the cheapest one year cost for highest quantity of RAM (8 GB) is 925 usd. If having to rent at least 20 computers, that would be.. Oh my God, 18500 usd per year, every single year until the end of my trading career for 20 computers only. I have never seen that amount of money not even on television.

ClaudiaTTT:

Alain Verleyen: There is nothing wrong in indicator's code because it works accurately. I am obviously willing to send you this indicator also. The problem is in MT4's ability to process large number of technical hardware memory requirements. Do you think the problem may be IF indicator is taking some data from third party server? I don't know if it does. You said that I should run several MT4 instances. I assume you meant that I should install on the same computer but different folders multiple MT4 terminals (i am not aware of term ''instances''). Then although you didn't mention what to do, I assume you were pointing at the following: In each MT4 terminal on the same computer, I should open only few, e.g. max 10% of wanted charts and put on each of those charts in each terminal (all on same computer but different folders) wanted problematic indicator. I believe the consumption of total hardware (ram memory) per entire computer and not per one terminal, will still be the same. Why? Because the consumption will be a sum of all charts in all terminals effecting entire motherboard - entire hardware of computer instead of effecting single terminal only. The consequence would be forced closure of all terminals.

I never questioned the fact it works accurately. I can't say anything about that obviously. I said I am almost sure, from my experience, your indicator could do the same with less resource and more speed. Of course, I can't be sure 100% without seeing the code.

I didn't say you should run several MT4 instances, I said you could. Sorry for my technical vocabulary "instance", yes it's what I mean : install multiple MT4 terminals with only x% of charts..., as a workaround to the memory limitation and heavy resources used by your indicator. No, it will not be the same because the memory limitation of 1 MT4.

Example: Limit of 1 terminal is 3G of RAM. 1 chart needs 30 MB of RAM, so 120 charts need 3.6 G RAM. Using 2 terminals with 60 charts, each terminal having a limitation of 3G, that's 6G in total, each using 60*30= 1.8G there will not be a problem.

Please note that all of this is hypothetical/theoretical as I don't have access the details and can't be sure about your exact problem. Could be something else.

As I stated in previous message, there are several companies whose main business is renting of computer systems, so called Virtual Private Servers or Remote Desktop Protocols. They are years in business, legitimate and trustworthy, offering to all clients longterm assurance they WILL stay in business next week, next month, next year, next decade so no need to worry about what would happen with all data on all (tens of) computers. Approximate uptime is around 99,99% per month - I am referring to the timing when computer is available for single user. Without a doubt, this would be appropriate solution but I cannot afford it. I don't know if I am allowed to advertise (although this wouldn't be advertising at all !!!) but since I don't want to disrespect the terms on your forum, I won't say the website. While looking at particular company offering such services, the cheapest one year cost for highest quantity of RAM (8 GB) is 925 usd. If having to rent at least 20 computers, that would be.. Oh my God, 18500 usd per year, every single year until the end of my trading career for 20 computers only. I have never seen that amount of money not even on television.

It will not change anything if the problem is really the mentioned indicator and you keep trying to open 120 charts on 1 MT4 terminal.

''less resources and more speed'' you are saying? Which speed? What kind of speed? You cannot accelerate operating of indicator, its not possible. You were probably referring to hardware capability when you said speed. How can I increase that?

Are you saying that memory limitation (RAM) will be doubled if using on same computer two MT terminals? Trippled if using three MT terminals, etc? In your ''Example'' (first word) paragraph you are saying this so I assume it is worth a try yes. I am only a bit worried if broker would allow usage of two (or more!!) different terminals at the same time either on the same computer or multiple computers. I don't want to risk trading account suspension so will need to ask.

Regarding your last paragraph: Why it wouldn't change anything? The particular indicator is the one which is causing automated crash of entire MT terminal (automated/forced closure) due to hardware (memory) weakness. Definitely not quantity of charts opened. Two proofs on that:

proof 1: Today I added (opened) few more charts. No problem of any kind. MT terminal works well with even higher amount of charts opened.

proof 2: Today I added problematic indicator on approximately 35% of all charts opened. Everything works well as long as I don't load this indicator on too many charts. I wish I knew how many is ''too many'' but I don't. Also don't want to test the luck whether or not I can add same problematic indicator on any more charts because yesterday too much time was wasted due to crash error.  There is also major disadvantage and minor advantage:

major disadvantage: i am being extremely anxious whether i can still add just about anything, even single self drawn lines or any additional, less problematic (or none problematic at all) indicator. Why? All the time I will think that first next thing I add on chart, the problem with automated crash will immediately occur.

minor advantage: i pray to God i will never see automated crash error again. Yesterday i was removing problematic indicator from charts and did my best to do as much as possible work in less than 10 seconds - the approximate time interval when automated crash happened after i runned MT terminal. And then when i opened it again, the problematic indicator was still there on same chart. So what i did was quickly closing as many as possible charts (X icon) and then opening them again without problematic indicator. The most time consumed was ordering of charts because I wanted them to be opened in alphabetical order and I am not aware of any tool able to do that automatically. A lot of time was spent. But where is here minor advantage (positive hope)? Here: IF automated crash happens again, I will know what exactly caused it. Obviously the element (indicator, own line,...) which was added to ANY chart MOST recently.

Although I was hoping for better solution than suggesting me to install multiple terminals on the same computer, would still like to thank you very much Alain for telling me this. However I would do this strictly only in case if broker helps me that (assuming such activity is allowed) i am logged in to my trading account on ONLY one terminal, regardless if terminals are used on same computer or multiple computers. I don't want to be logged into the same identical broker's trading account on multiple terminals. Don't want to see opened positions and other account related info (e.g. balance) on multiple terminals but only on one. Why? Reasons are beyond the purpose of this topic.

So what I am going to do are the following steps:

step 1: asking broker if i am allowed to use their (i downloaded MT from their website) MT in different terminals at the same time. Each terminal in different folder. Either same computer or multiple computers.

step 2: asking broker for exact instructions how can i completely 100% isolate my trading account (being logged in) from second (and potentially from any next upcoming one) terminal. So i have for sure guarantee that my trading account will never be accessed on second/third/etc terminal. I just don't want it because second/third/etc terminals should be for analysis work only (indicators etc). I know it might be nonsense requirement but its just my choice. If this is not possible then i can forget about doing what you suggested.

optional step: I may rather work in the following way: keep the problematic indicator on current quantity of opened charts (see proof 2 above) and work with those trading assets only using this exact problematic indicator. If indicator is as good as it looks like (i have good opinion about it at this time) then i will wait and try to do profit with it on those assets equal to price of yearly ownership for renting approximately two ( * ) remote computers. Then i will be able to use indicator on rest of charts on other two ( * ) remote computers. So with current capability where problematic indicator works, i could at least earn for renting.  Step 1 and 2 are obviously mandatory - will see what broker is going to say. Don't want to disrespect their terms just in case if multiple (2 or more) MT terminals at the same time are not allowed.

* why two if i was previously mentioning 20 computers? Because in proof two i used the value 35%. This is approximate value on how many opened charts do I have indicator runned and so far no problem.

There is probably no other solution that using multiple MT terminals on same or multiple computers at the same time, is it? Don't like to use multiple MT terminals for same broker...

Alain Verleyen:
Run several MT4 instances.

I am almost sure there is something to fix. I never saw an indicator hanging up MT4 which was not poorly coded or which could not be optimized.

It's NOT normal for an indicator, even with heavy calculation to hang up MT4.

No, they are ones and when additional chart are open the mt4 hangs up.

Oh my God, my Metatrader is COMPLETELY DESTROYED after following suggestion of multiple terminals on same computer. Completely destroyed. Everything is gone. Entire symbols list (i had shown everything that broker offers for trading) which I worked hard for because it was in alphabetical order. All massive quantity of opened charts. I spent hours of work ordering them alphabetically. Everything disappeared. Indicators in Insert menu are gone, everything is gone. Templates, custom drawn lines, indicators already being on charts (no opened charts anymore) are gone. All custom settings. I destroyed entire MT4 just because I installed on the same computer secondary terminal. 

I had been aware that each terminal must be installed into new folder. Firstly I was expecting to be asked where I want to install it. Unfortunately the truth is that I am the one who needs to choose the installation folder instead of expecting in installation procedure to ask me where to install it to. This was the biggest failure. Instead of clicking on button Settings where i choose destination folder, I simply clicked on ''Next'' when doing installation and guess what? The entire installation got rewritten from previous one. The consequence of this was that .exe file (located on desktop) where I am opening MT platform, was rewritten with the one in new installation. I am afraid that .exe file (for opening of MT) is permanently gone. 

Then I did installation again and this time (yes i know it was too late) i clicked on Settings to choose destination folder. It was installed in that chosen (obviously different than primary one) folder but the damage was already done. When i go to FIRST folder (the one where all the files got unfortunately rewritten - noone has ever told me i won't be asked for destination folder), there is terminal.exe icon BUT when i click on it, Windows program ''Paint'' which is usually used for simple drawing purposes, opens.

MY ENTIRE METATRADER IS CORRUPTED NOW! 

My purpose was to have Investors Password on secondary terminal which would block (as i want to!) any kind of trading activity and would be used for analysis and technical work with charts only. Unfortunately it didn't seem that i would be able to completely isolate it from my trading account as I wanted. Broker told me in order to receive real time data on charts, i must be logged in. However my MT is basically gone. I lost everything I worked for so hard.

Installation files got rewritten. Its hard to understand for me. When i finished first REinstallation (referring to the failure one - where i didn't choose on time which new folder to pick but was expecting to be asked), the single MT4 icon to open platform with, remained on desktop. I was sure it Will be rewritten but it seems like just other installation files where rewritten. The desktop MT4 icon, when opening it, still produced old terminal showing all opened charts with currently active indicators, all the settings, indicators and entire symbol list was available. 

However when I did REinstallation for the second time, this time being aware i need to click on Settings button to choose new folder, the one and only MT4 opening .exe icon on desktop seem to got changed to new, just installed terminal. Previous terminal's .exe icon seems to be permanently gone and I don't know how to fix this.

If I go to the following path: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal

according to weird lentghy foldernames with mixed capital letters and numbers, there are two terminals. One terminal still has all my custom saved indicators and even single template I had saved. This gives me a little hope that somewhen, God knows where, are still available all opened charts in exact alphabetical order as i worked for so hard. Entire symbol list in exact order I had, current active indicators on charts, settings and so on. But i looked at this folder (referring to the lengthy name with capital letters and numbers) belonging to primary terminal and cannot see here anywhere .exe file to open platform from first terminal. I also don't know how to choose (probably not possible), while having new MT opened, which terminal should occur when opening MT exe icon on desktop. This way i would have two icons: 

first: MT4 (Main Trading Terminal)

second: MT4 (Investors Password 1)

first would be connected to first terminal with my main login password. Second would be connected to investors password only.

Could someone please help me what to do to get back my MT? 

Juergen Frank:
No, they are ones and when additional chart are open the mt4 hangs up.
Poorly coded or lack of optimization.
Reason: