Thoughts on some of the absurdity of multi-currency analysis. - page 13

SergNF писал(а) >>

I take it that "it"

for getch (only why didn't you write how much EUR to USD would change according to your version)

and "it"

Left unnoticedJ "The cross is not matched everywhere, otherwise there is no way to make money on the cross".

I have seen it, but firstly, 'it' is a consequence, and secondly, the possibility to earn on the cross is not the proof that EURJPY != EURUSD * USDJPY (quotes, not open positions with the same or different lots)

'

And yet, let me lead away a bit (I'm actually curious)

There is a correlation formula, there are two numbers

EURJPY correlation with EURUSD = -22.1%

EURJPYcorrelation with USDJPY = 69%

Is it possible (is there a formula) to calculate the correlation (EURUSD*USDJPY) with EURJPY?

The correlation shows the relationship between two random variables. If it equals 1 (100%) then the relationship is functional. The problem is that the correlation is also a random value, which makes it difficult to build TS by cross rates.

Vita писал(а) >>

Diversification is effective in any case of a spherical horse in a vacuum, and for the market in any case of a normal distribution of returns. Then, by decomposing the eggs into different baskets we can thin the tail of the normal distribution to infinity, and thus we can take the probability of risks at least beyond ten sigmas. But the market is not normal. And alas, the normality assumption does not work. At LTCM, the risks were taken by Nobel laureates into an intuitively "unrealistic" zone according to their advanced strategy. But the market was unaware of this strategy and very quickly found a way to ruin this fund.

My argument is that the thick tails of the market distribution do not allow us to hope that we can thin them by adding up the distributions of different pairs. Practice shows that the tails remain thick anyway. There is no theory on tails yet, nor, in fact, on the market distribution. Diversification theories designed to justify the very existence of funds are plentiful, but these theories do not reduce risks, they are just marketing.

On the marketing side I agree, it's not uncommon for this theory to be mentioned in ordinary advertising texts.

The theory is assumed to have a normal distribution - I also agree, it is correct that the distribution is not normal, but the theory is used. But this theory was written at a time when computing power was much inferior to today's, so there were such crap studies that now seem cheesy. But such crude assumptions are not a reason to reject things that are obvious nowadays.

I don't know what the distribution of the market is and whether it can be found. But all I have to do is add up the 2 charts to see that volatility is decreasing and the curve is taking a flatter shape.

A simple example - look at the volatility of any index and compare it with the volatility of the stock in it.

Vita >>:

Оно у всех толстое, осознаётся это или нет, т.к. складываются распределения изменения котировок (возвраты), изменения, которые превращаются в прибыль или убыток от сделки. Все остальное, в т.ч. и профитность или что вы под этим подразумеваете, является следствием от полученных прибыли или убытка от сделок. Так вот распределение это не нормально и имеет толстые хвосты. Никакие фокусы не исправляют этого положения.

Sounds pretty barefaced. It has nothing to do with being aware of... not being aware of... You need statistics with graphs, that's all.

While I was smoking in my mind, I came up with a strategy (as a counter-example) that may not have fat tails in the distribution of equity returns.

It does not mean it is too profitable, it only means that if its yield is non-zero, it is diversified. I.e. the committee of such strategies on different currency pairs

will have a smoother equity. Which is exactly what we need to prove or disprove. We should either start a branch devoted to this question, or round off the topic

and clear it up on your own. In order not to get lost in illusory optimism or equally illusory pessimism, beautifully voiced from the rostrum and solidly

confirmed by unicorns.

А можно узнать в каких распределения "толстоватость"?

Что оценивалось?

Правка:

Тут давеча оценивали отклонения от среднего - всё нормально!

Close[i] - Close[i+1] - the tails are thick,
What was evaluated the other day - I don't see 1) normality in pictures; 2) that participants came to a conclusion about normality (I don't take into account the desire of the topiccaster); 3) Math doubts formulas ;) 4) whatever they come to, normality will not be affected :)

OK, if my conclusion confuses you, then I suggest you don't be lazy and get your hands on the maths of your model, which states that putting eggs in different baskets reduces risk. And then find the place where this maths relies on the normality of the distribution Close[i] - Close[i+1].

Vita >>:

Close[i] - Close[i+1] - хвосты толстые,
То, что оценивали давеча - не вижу 1) нормальности на картинках; 2) что участники пришли к выводу о нормальности (желание топиккастера не учитываю); 3) Математ сомневается формулами ;) 4) к чему бы они не пришли, на нормальность это не повлияет :)

Ок, если мой вывод смущает вас, то советую не лениться и взять в руки математику вашей модели, которая утверждает, что раскладывание яиц по разным корзинам уменьшает риски. А после найдите место, где эта математика опирается на нормальность распределения Close[i] - Close[i+1].

I wonder...

The pictures and the script are correct.

Has the "returnees" analysis - pips within a time frame been investigated?

Or does it have something to do with the derivative?

Enlighten the gullible.

MetaDriver >>:

Звучит довольно голословно. Причём тут осознаётся..не осознаётся.. Тут статистика нужна с графиками да и всё.

Я вот пока курил в уме придумал стратегию (для контрпримера) у которой толстых хвостов в распределении возвратов эквити в принципе быть не может.

Это не значит, что она шибко доходная, это всего лишь значит, что если её доходность ненулевая - она диверсифицируема. Т.е. комитет таких стратегий на разных валютных парах

будет иметь более гладкую эквити. Что собсно и требуется доказать или опровергнуть. Тут надо или ветку посвящённую данному вопросу затевать, или наеборот тему закруглить

и самостоятельно до кондиции прочистить. Дабы не заблудиться в иллюзорных оптимизмах или не менее иллюзорных пессемизмах красиво озвученных с трибуны и солидно

подтверждённых единоглючниками.

I see your point. Read the papers where these statistics are cited and you will find that the view that tails are fat is widespread in papers designed to study the market rather than to fit theory to profit making, fund building, etc.

Vita >>:

Я вас понимаю. Ознакомьтесь с работами, где эта статистика приводится, и найдете, что мнение, что хвосты толстые, имеет широкое распространение в работах призванных изучить рынок, а не подогнать теорию под получение прибыли, создание фонда и т.п.

Ы?

Have you personally analysed anything other than works?

If so, why the "returns"?

Did you prove Brownian motion?

Vita >>:

Close[i] - Close[i+1] - хвосты толстые,
То, что оценивали давеча - не вижу 1) нормальности на картинках; 2) что участники пришли к выводу о нормальности (желание топиккастера не учитываю); 3) Математ сомневается формулами ;) 4) к чему бы они не пришли, на нормальность это не повлияет :)

Ок, если мой вывод смущает вас, то советую не лениться и взять в руки математику вашей модели, которая утверждает, что раскладывание яиц по разным корзинам уменьшает риски. А после найдите место, где эта математика опирается на нормальность распределения Close[i] - Close[i+1].

So, I think I have a key question for you.

What ratio do you think the "normality" of the market is to its predictability?

And the second one:

And predictability and stability ("normality") of returns?

Vita >>:

Я вас понимаю. Ознакомьтесь с работами, где эта статистика приводится, и найдете, что мнение, что хвосты толстые, имеет широкое распространение в работах призванных изучить рынок, а не подогнать теорию под получение прибыли, создание фонда и т.п.

OK, we'll wrap it up until it's cleared up on its own. I'm all for it.

vasya_vasya >>:

Я не знаю какое распределение у рынка и можно ли его найти. Но мне нужно всего лишь сложить 2 графика чтобы убедиться в том что волатильность уменьшается, а кривая принимает более ровный вид.

Простой пример – посмотрите на волатильность любого индекса и сравните с волатильностью входящей в него акции.

Underneath the words "you just have to add up the 2 charts to see that volatility is decreasing" there is mathematics besides what we want to see. Does your mathematics of addition allow you to argue that the risks are decreasing?

Mr Myron Scholes won a Nobel Prize for his model, and he folds volatilities and charts more than anyone else, for which he certainly deserves honour, respect and a presence in various funds. But it does not save these funds from ruin. There are two big differences between receiving multimillion-dollar fees and keeping a fund afloat. The same difference as between the words "marketing" and "fat tails". Scholes doesn't have the maths to mitigate the risks. Do you realise the scale of the problem that every other person here seems to have solved in favour of risk reduction? Get published - you'll get rich.

Reason: