MT5 Installer Issue

Hey, I appreciate this is slightly off-topic for a MQL5 forum, but I was hoping someone could give me a quick answer.

I've tried download the MT5 installer from a couple of brokers, and direct from the MetaTrader site itself, but the installer will not run.

Upon checking the event log, the following is present:

Faulting application name: mt5setup.exe, version: 5.0.0.1503, time stamp: 0x00075600
Faulting module name: mt5setup.exe, version: 5.0.0.1503, time stamp: 0x00075600
Exception code: 0xc0000096
Fault offset: 0x0000a19a
Faulting process id: 0x1158
Faulting application start time: 0x01d289dcf9bd527f
Faulting application path: F:\Downloads\mt5setup.exe
Faulting module path: F:\Downloads\mt5setup.exe
Report Id: 3f39b46b-f5d0-11e6-82ea-1c6f6535a3ae
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I appreciate this is something of a generic error code, but someone might have seen the same.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro , haven't had issues with any other program I've tried to install. Tried running it off another drive, with no success.

Firewall is disabled, UAC is turned off so everything runs automatically as Admin. I've tried compatibility mode for all previous versions of Windows, no difference. 

Many thanks 

smimon:

Hey, I appreciate this is slightly off-topic for a MQL5 forum, but I was hoping someone could give me a quick answer.

I've tried download the MT5 installer from a couple of brokers, and direct from the MetaTrader site itself, but the installer will not run.

Upon checking the event log, the following is present:

Faulting application name: mt5setup.exe, version: 5.0.0.1503, time stamp: 0x00075600
Faulting module name: mt5setup.exe, version: 5.0.0.1503, time stamp: 0x00075600
Exception code: 0xc0000096
Fault offset: 0x0000a19a
Faulting process id: 0x1158
Faulting application start time: 0x01d289dcf9bd527f
Faulting application path: F:\Downloads\mt5setup.exe
Faulting module path: F:\Downloads\mt5setup.exe
Report Id: 3f39b46b-f5d0-11e6-82ea-1c6f6535a3ae
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I appreciate this is something of a generic error code, but someone might have seen the same.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro , haven't had issues with any other program I've tried to install. Tried running it off another drive, with no success.

Firewall is disabled, UAC is turned off so everything runs automatically as Admin. I've tried compatibility mode for all previous versions of Windows, no difference. 

Many thanks 

Does anything appear or does it crash immediately?

Maybe the download file is being corrupted?

I downloaded it myself from the MetaTrader5 site, and generated a MD5 Hash for the file with version 5.0.0.1503. Is this what you get?
MD5 Hash: a6a3686fc3ba8d34eb6051338a9aeff3
EDIT: According to a Google search, "Exception code: 0xc0000096" could be related to faulty or damaged files of the OS system files themselves and not necessarily the file being run.

Try running "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt

Fernando Carreiro:

Does anything appear or does it crash immediately?

Maybe the download file is being corrupted?

I downloaded it myself from the MetaTrader5 site, and generated a MD5 Hash for the file with version 5.0.0.1503. Is this what you get?
MD5 Hash: a6a3686fc3ba8d34eb6051338a9aeff3
EDIT: According to a Google search, "Exception code: 0xc0000096" could be related to faulty or damaged files of the OS system files themselves and not necessarily the file being run.

When I run, active window becomes inactive (as if something is about to appear), then a couple seconds later becomes active again, when the process exits. No error dialog is displayed, can only see the error when I look in the event log. 

I also get the same MD5 hash as you. I tried also with MT5 installers with 2 brokers, same error. Only happening with MT5 installers for some reason. Cheers

honest_knave:
Trying this, will report back when complete. Suspect it's not a system issue, since problem exists only with MT5 installers, but worth a check.

smimon:

When I run, active window becomes inactive (as if something is about to appear), then a couple seconds later becomes active again, when the process exits. No error dialog is displayed, can only see the error when I look in the event log. 

I also get the same MD5 hash as you. I tried also with MT5 installers with 2 brokers, same error. Only happening with MT5 installers for some reason. Cheers

Is your system 32 bit or 64 bit?

Fernando Carreiro:
Is your system 32 bit or 64 bit?
64 bit

honest_knave:

Well, that generated a 2.5MB log file full of all sorts of weird things. No sign of the strings "MT5" or "FxPro" in there though (mt5setup.exe and fxpro5setup.exe are the offending items). Wouldn't even know where to begin with the rest of it!

Printed this message when complete:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

smimon:

Well, that generated a 2.5MB log file full of all sorts of weird things. No sign of the strings "MT5" or "FxPro" in there though (mt5setup.exe and fxpro5setup.exe are the offending items). Wouldn't even know where to begin with the rest of it!

Printed this message when complete:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

Sounds like time for an O/S reinstall. Or better still, a (free-ish...) upgrade to Windows 10. I hate Windows 8.1

honest_knave:

Sounds like time for a reinstall. Or better still, a (free-ish) upgrade to Windows 10 (I hate Windows 8.1)

Fair enough, I have had this install for years now. Odd though that it is only affecting the MT5 installer.

I'll try an Win10 virtual machine first, just to be sure.

Thanks 

smimon:

Fair enough, I have had this install for years now. Odd though that it is only affecting the MT5 installer.

I'll try an Win10 virtual machine first, just to be sure.

Thanks 

If you do decide to take the plunge, the free upgrade to Windows 10 has technically finished.

However, if you are somebody who uses "assistive technologies" in Windows you're still good to go... You use the magnifier tool, right?

You could probably repair your install, but TBH I find it more effort than just reinstalling.
Reason: