Can you run mt4 on seperate computers in different locations for the same account number for continuity

Hello Everyone,

I would like to make sure that I have a continuity and disaster recovery plan for my MT4 trade station. I am running a robot and would like to have multiple locations using different power and broadband providers. I would like to have each server running mt4 on the same broker and same account number live. In the event of a server crash or power/broadband outage at location #1, I want location #2's server to take the lead without my robot skipping a beat. This will give me greater assurance that the robot will run. I didn't know if you could set up a system whereby location #1 is default and location #2 is on a slight delay, but is live. Does anybody have any information on:

1) if this can be done with mt4

2) if yes, can you provide the instructions on how to do it

Thanks.

You can run several mt4 platforms using the same account. I do this using desktop pc and laptop all the time.

However EA's runing to back each other up would mean the EA's would have to be 'aware' of each other. Giving the way MT4 works this would be difficult. The simplest solution is to buy server time. FXCM offer free server if you have over a certain amount of working capital as an example of a way of achieving the same goal. You have to be aware of updates to the system as they then shut down your MT4 platform.

yellowshake:

Hello Everyone,

I would like to make sure that I have a continuity and disaster recovery plan for my MT4 trade station. I am running a robot and would like to have multiple locations using different power and broadband providers. I would like to have each server running mt4 on the same broker and same account number live. In the event of a server crash or power/broadband outage at location #1, I want location #2's server to take the lead without my robot skipping a beat. This will give me greater assurance that the robot will run. I didn't know if you could set up a system whereby location #1 is default and location #2 is on a slight delay, but is live. Does anybody have any information on:

1) if this can be done with mt4

2) if yes, can you provide the instructions on how to do it

Thanks.

You have a few options.

Option 1: (Only closing security, this is the most easiest to implement)

• Server #1: Opens and Closes the orders
  • Server #2: Only Closes the orders.
This has the advantage that the closing of orders is more reliable. Of course if Server #1 fails no more order will be opened. There is basically nothing special you have to implement using that solution.

Option 2:

• Use an additional program (NOT MT4) on both of the servers which logs the connection ecc. The programs must communicate with each and with the EA on theirs computer. For the communication between EA and the logger pipes or a file could be used. Rather complicated solution, but if you need full bulletproof security you might go for this
//z

Thanks Ickyrus

and zzuegg

Ickyrus:

You can run several mt4 platforms using the same account. I do this using desktop pc and laptop all the time.

However EA's runing to back each other up would mean the EA's would have to be 'aware' of each other. Giving the way MT4 works this would be difficult. The simplest solution is to buy server time. FXCM offer free server if you have over a certain amount of working capital as an example of a way of achieving the same goal. You have to be aware of updates to the system as they then shut down your MT4 platform.

Ickyrus,

When I mean back each other up I am refering to running to computers simultaneously. Like you said, let's say my desktop is up and also my laptop. If they are both open I should see the same data on each. I'm just concerned if my desktop goes down, my laptop is still running and my ea is still under my money management. Now if my desktop goes down and my laptop is not on I am running naked. Given my ea once I bring up my laptop and account comes back on I should see my trades in the terminal window, but unfortunately to do my ea criteria my exit points will have changed. That is why I wanted to run both live.

I may look into running my ea on a vps solution but I just don't trust if anyone will snoop on my ea at the broker or elsewhere. I guess I'm paranoid. Thanks Ickyrus!1

zzuegg:

You have a few options.

Option 1: (Only closing security, this is the most easiest to implement)

• Server #1: Opens and Closes the orders
  • Server #2: Only Closes the orders.
This has the advantage that the closing of orders is more reliable. Of course if Server #1 fails no more order will be opened. There is basically nothing special you have to implement using that solution.

Option 2:

• Use an additional program (NOT MT4) on both of the servers which logs the connection ecc. The programs must communicate with each and with the EA on theirs computer. For the communication between EA and the logger pipes or a file could be used. Rather complicated solution, but if you need full bulletproof security you might go for this
//z

yellowshake:

Z,

Any further detail or links to info concerning your Option #2 would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Were you able to implement the option 2? I would like to have the same solution in MQ5 so wondering if there are any ready-to-use solutions before I dive into implementing one myself
Reason: