Can a broker customized MT4 platform mess with EA? No Conspiracy theory, just weird experience

Hi,

I do not want to foster any conspiracy theories about Forex Brokers being scams etc. but I am genuinely curious as I am testing an EA with 2 different brokers before deciding how to move fwd, so I’d like to have a second opinion.

Brief description on my case: I am currently testing an EA on 2 MT4 platforms which are released from 2 different brokers. In both platforms the EA is running on the same portfolio of crosses i.e. I have 2 terminals open and same charts open on both terminals. On each chart the same EA has been attached.

On one platform the EA is running smoothly, on the other it is giving me several issues:

1. Whenever the platform is restarted (or just after the week end) the EA is reactivated on some of the crosses but not on the others
  2. The EA seem to be placing random SL on current and pending orders. I have also deactivated the EA but the platform won't let me delete these SL

On the other platform the EA is doing just fine so it does not seem it is an issue with the code. Could there be any issue with the broker server?

Could anybody cast some light?
Tx,
MG

Bookmark Share

A few times noticed same things. You think why many people names broker = criminal?

MacGiamma:

Hi,

I do not want to foster any conspiracy theories about Forex Brokers being scams etc. but I am genuinely curious as I am testing an EA with 2 different brokers before deciding how to move fwd, so I’d like to have a second opinion.

Brief description on my case: I am currently testing an EA on 2 MT4 platforms which are released from 2 different brokers. In both platforms the EA is running on the same portfolio of crosses i.e. I have 2 terminals open and same charts open on both terminals. On each chart the same EA has been attached.

On one platform the EA is running smoothly, on the other it is giving me several issues:

1. Whenever the platform is restarted (or just after the week end) the EA is reactivated on some of the crosses but not on the others
  2. The EA seem to be placing random SL on current and pending orders. I have also deactivated the EA but the platform won't let me delete these SL

On the other platform the EA is doing just fine so it does not seem it is an issue with the code. Could there be any issue with the broker server?

Could anybody cast some light?
Tx,
MG

Bookmark Share

Of course it's a code issue. A broker has nothing to do with your MT4 platform, it manages only the server side. Fix your code.

Hi Alain,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Is there anyway you can elaborate on your answer and give me any tips you might have

As mentioned the EA is doing perfectly fine on the MT4 platform fo another broker and the fact that SL are placed are random makes me think the issue is not on the EA part. BTW nowhere in the EA code SL are set which makes it even more weird.

Thank you for your expertise,

MG

MacGiamma:

Hi Alain,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Is there anyway you can elaborate on your answer and give me any tips you might have

As mentioned the EA is doing perfectly fine on the MT4 platform fo another broker and the fact that SL are placed are random makes me think the issue is not on the EA part. BTW nowhere in the EA code SL are set which makes it even more weird.

Thank you for your expertise,

MG

With the information you gave it's only possible to answer "in theory". And in theory, an EA working well on 1 broker and "not well" on an other doesn't mean there is no problem in the code. In general a software process "inputs" and give "outputs", it can "work" well with some inputs and "not well" with some other inputs. With MT4 most of the inputs comes from the broker (symbol's data, quotes, history data). It's possible the problem is not in the code but most of the time such issues is due to the code. It may also happen that a broker provides wrong data.

Anyway, if you want real help you will need to provide more information about your issue and the relevant code.

Also check your Broker accounts have the same leverage and contract size, if these vary and the code doesn't account for it, you'll get issues

iRick:

Also check your Broker accounts have the same leverage and contract size, if these vary and the code doesn't account for it, you'll get issues

Also differing server times between brokers can cause issues as well

Allright guys,

Mistery solved at least for point #2 which is the more worrisome. 

It was basically due to what iRick suggested (thanks by the way) which was a difference in the leverage of the 2 accounts. 

In a nutshell, in account A (the one that is working fine) I have a fixed leverage 1:30; in account B I had asked my broker to modify the leverage so that it could replicate as much as possible reality. This meant that they had to replicate leverage 1:30 for majors and 1:20 for minors in order to be compliant with ESMA regulation. However this is not straightforward as they could not set 2 different leverages for the same demo account, so they modified some settings and this is why the SL were automatically set in order to manage the risk.

I am relieved to know that it does not seem to be a problem on the code side, but rather on the server side as I initially suspected.

Thanks for your contributions,

MG

Reason: