"excessive use of disk space in OnTester function, expert rejected by MQL5 Cloud Network"

Hello mql5 people.

I am currently working on the optimization team for a project. I am a hobbyist coder and have coded a couple of my own bots, however for this project, I do not have access to the code.

I was back testing without any problems until the version of the bots, licensing expired. 

As soon as the license expired, I got the following error code.

"2023.08.08 19:19:23.254 MQL5 Cloud Europe 2 genetic pass (0, 22) tested with error "excessive use of disk space in OnTester function, expert rejected by MQL5 Cloud Network" in 0:00:05.355 (PR 341)"

I have not seen this before, but I went into problem-solving mode. First I requested a new version, with new expiry and license key which I was granted. So the bot now works fine on my core agents when back testing on my computer, and when running live. However, I still get this error when trying to back test the bot on the cloud network.

Has anyone seen it before and know what could be causing it???

I have spoken with the coder of the project, and he says there is no reference to the 'OnTester function' in the code, he says there isn't excessive use of global variables which could take up space, and there is no situation that could be causing infinite loops. He tells me the expiration code is extremely simple and that he can't see how there would be any reason for this to be a coding issue.

The bot works fine live, and during back testing on local cores. Error only appears during Cloud network back testing and wasn't present before license expiry. 

I have also checked the memory usage in task manager when running on my local cores, and there is no sign of excessive increase, in disk space. I know mql5 has a 4gb limit, but I can't see that being reached.

I am really stumped on this one, and any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone. Would love to figure this one out.

p.s I read through this forum a lot, but this is my first time posting, so if I made any errors in posting standards and rules, please just let me know so I can improve for next time.

Jake Snedker:

Hello mql5 people.

I am currently working on the optimization team for a project. I am a hobbyist coder and have coded a couple of my own bots, however for this project, I do not have access to the code.

I was back testing without any problems until the version of the bots, licensing expired. 

As soon as the license expired, I got the following error code.

"2023.08.08 19:19:23.254 MQL5 Cloud Europe 2 genetic pass (0, 22) tested with error "excessive use of disk space in OnTester function, expert rejected by MQL5 Cloud Network" in 0:00:05.355 (PR 341)"

I have not seen this before, but I went into problem-solving mode. First I requested a new version, with new expiry and license key which I was granted. So the bot now works fine on my core agents when back testing on my computer, and when running live. However, I still get this error when trying to back test the bot on the cloud network.

Has anyone seen it before and know what could be causing it???

I have spoken with the coder of the project, and he says there is no reference to the 'OnTester function' in the code, he says there isn't excessive use of global variables which could take up space, and there is no situation that could be causing infinite loops. He tells me the expiration code is extremely simple and that he can't see how there would be any reason for this to be a coding issue.

The bot works fine live, and during back testing on local cores. Error only appears during Cloud network back testing and wasn't present before license expiry. 

I have also checked the memory usage in task manager when running on my local cores, and there is no sign of excessive increase, in disk space. I know mql5 has a 4gb limit, but I can't see that being reached.

I am really stumped on this one, and any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone. Would love to figure this one out.

p.s I read through this forum a lot, but this is my first time posting, so if I made any errors in posting standards and rules, please just let me know so I can improve for next time.

The error message you are seeing is related to the excessive use of disk space in the OnTester function. This error message is usually seen when there is not enough disk space available on the MQL5 Cloud Network. 

It seems that you have already tried to troubleshoot this issue by requesting a new version with a new expiry and license key. However, it seems that this has not resolved the issue.

One possible solution to this problem is to reduce the amount of disk space used by your bot. You can try optimizing your code to use less disk space or try reducing the number of variables used in your code.

Another possible solution is to contact MQL5 support for assistance. They may be able to provide more information on why you are seeing this error message and how to resolve it.

I hope this helps!

Source:

(1) OnTester - Event Handling - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic .... https://www.mql5.com/en/docs/event_handlers/ontester.

(2) July 2023 Backtesting Errors "Excessive use of disk face in ... - MQL5. https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/450935.

(3) FileOpen, FileWrite not working in onTester() - MQL5. https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/333105.

Maybe the loaded tick data are to much? How long is the optimization period? Either try to reduce this or use anything else than real tick data.

Dao Thi Thanh Nguyet #:

The error message you are seeing is related to the excessive use of disk space in the OnTester function. This error message is usually seen when there is not enough disk space available on the MQL5 Cloud Network. 

It seems that you have already tried to troubleshoot this issue by requesting a new version with a new expiry and license key. However, it seems that this has not resolved the issue.

One possible solution to this problem is to reduce the amount of disk space used by your bot. You can try optimizing your code to use less disk space or try reducing the number of variables used in your code.

Another possible solution is to contact MQL5 support for assistance. They may be able to provide more information on why you are seeing this error message and how to resolve it.

I hope this helps!

Source:

(1) OnTester - Event Handling - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic .... https://www.mql5.com/en/docs/event_handlers/ontester.

(2) July 2023 Backtesting Errors "Excessive use of disk face in ... - MQL5. https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/450935.

(3) FileOpen, FileWrite not working in onTester() - MQL5. https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/333105.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have checked the amount of disk space used when the optimization runs on my local agents, and there does not seem to be any excessive increase in disk usage. Also, the bot was working fine for months of back testing prior to the expiration. The coder said that the code change for the fix was two very simple lines, so unsure how this could have affected the disk usage.

I was looking for some MQL5 support for this exact reason but I actually had a really hard time finding anyone to contact/ask. I have sent a message to MQL5.Support but I am just waiting for a response. 

Any other possible suggestions??

Thanks

p.s link 2 you shared is also someone form my team and unfortunately no more clarity there either.

Carl Schreiber #:
Maybe the loaded tick data are to much? How long is the optimization period? Either try to reduce this or use anything else than real tick data.
Yeah I thought this could be causing it too. But the same error occurs even when I try backtesting for 2 days. 

It happens when I do real ticks, every tick, and OHLC.

What confuses me is there is no obvious increase in diskspace being used when I run the tests on my computer. Maybe im not understanding something correctly, but I thought if it was using excessive disk space there would be some clear indication of that when I ran it on my local Agents (cores)

Jake Snedker #:
Yeah I thought this could be causing it too. But the same error occurs even when I try backtesting for 2 days. 

It happens when I do real ticks, every tick, and OHLC.

What confuses me is there is no obvious increase in diskspace being used when I run the tests on my computer. Maybe im not understanding something correctly, but I thought if it was using excessive disk space there would be some clear indication of that when I ran it on my local Agents (cores)
  1. Have you performed the profiling?
  2. Check the size of and in the folder Tester of the terminal: ..\logs\, ..\cache\ , ..\Agent..\logs\ , ..\Agent..\MQL5\Files\, ..\Agent..\temp\
  3. Check with the Task-Manager the terminal and the hard disk usage ...

Carl Schreiber #:
  1. Have you performed the profiling?
  2. Check the size of and in the folder Tester of the terminal: ..\logs\, ..\cache\ , ..\Agent..\logs\ , ..\Agent..\MQL5\Files\, ..\Agent..\temp\
  3. Check with the Task-Manager the terminal and the hard disk usage ...

1. I am unsure what you mean by profiling. Do you have more information on this? Maybe I don't know what it is, or perhaps I know it as something else.

2. I have had a look in these files, but nothing is obvious. Would you recommend clearing the files? or do you have a suggested size that may be too big? This same error occurs on different computers, in different parts of the world, all only when testing on the cloud. So I didn't think it could be due to some of the in-built files, but I'm still learning. I would love to know more on how I could use/clear these files and what it could do for the bot/backtesting.

3. Yes I have tried. Nothing substantial happens that would cause concern.

Jake Snedker #:

1. I am unsure what you mean by profiling. Do you have more information on this? Maybe I don't know what it is, or perhaps I know it as something else.

2. I have had a look in these files, but nothing is obvious. Would you recommend clearing the files? or do you have a suggested size that may be too big? This same error occurs on different computers, in different parts of the world, all only when testing on the cloud. So I didn't think it could be due to some of the in-built files, but I'm still learning. I would love to know more on how I could use/clear these files and what it could do for the bot/backtesting.

3. Yes I have tried. Nothing substantial happens that would cause concern.

You only get this error message when optimizing on the Cloud right ?

Can you post the log of such optimization (see Journal tab).

Alain Verleyen #:

You only get this error message when optimizing on the Cloud right ?

Can you post the log of such optimization (see Journal tab).

Yes, you are correct. Only when using the cloud.

Yes of course, The log of the error message is in the original post as a line in (" ") but here is the image version with more detail.... (see attached)

Please let me know if this is what you were referring to.

It then repeats this error until it says, "rejection limit reached", See image 2. 

It then moves to the next cloud network, repeats, and then closes all 4 cloud networks, then closes the connection.

Jake Snedker #:

Yes, you are correct. Only when using the cloud.

Yes of course, The log of the error message is in the original post as a line in (" ") but here is the image version with more detail.... (see attached)

Please let me know if this is what you were referring to.

It then repeats this error until it says, "rejection limit reached", See image 2. 

It then moves to the next cloud network, repeats, and then closes all 4 cloud networks, then closes the connection.

Ok thank you, so all passes are rejected.

What is the optimization you are using, please show a screenshot of the Strategy Tester settings ? Just to check. As it seems to issue is clearly related to the source code.

Alain Verleyen #:

Ok thank you, so all passes are rejected.

What is the optimization you are using, please show a screenshot of the Strategy Tester settings ? Just to check. As it seems to issue is clearly related to the source code.

Here is the settings tab.

Be aware that I get the same issue when testing for 6 months, 1 week, 2 days.
Also when I try a slow complete algorithm and a fast genetic-based algorithm.
It also happens for, OHLC, every tick, and Every tick based on Real ticks, (with Fast Genetic Based Algorithm)

I have pretty much tried all combinations, including changing the optimization criteria.

Files:
Settings.PNG  29 kb
Reason: