Naive beginner's strategies.

All of us began our acquaintance with market trading at some point in our lives. We all went through the process of learning this activity and were a bit of a romantic. We believed in ourselves and our "exceptional" and "brilliant" ideas. And everyone was disappointed one day.

It is painful and unpleasant. It hurts from the realization of mistakes, the invalidity of ideas, the wrong path, and our own ignorance. But, that's what pushed us forward. Because of this, we moved forward and learned. We progressed because we were disappointed in ourselves, our plans and hopes. We pursued knowledge to defend our goals and prove to ourselves that we were talented. We polished our vision of the world, feeling that objectivity can be seen only by those who go to the end in knowledge. After all, anyone who respects himself, is confident in his mind, and considers himself a talented person.

It is not so scary to make mistakes and choose the wrong direction as it is scary to never realize your mistake and change the direction.

The first trading ideas are always very simple. To experienced people they seem silly, but they forget that they used to generate them themselves.

There is an absolute need to test strategies in practice. The key to the mental growth of the individual, is self-criticism, testing and verifying the fallacy of one's beliefs. But, even the most ridiculous things that come to mind must be refuted by personal practical experience. Empirically. Otherwise, a person will live with illusions all his life.

People who come to the foreign exchange market start to learn. As the initial bonus they have a powerful motivation generated by desire to get rich, and belief in their uniqueness, intuition, luck, talent and intellect. The first thing they need is to test their theories. The faster and easier these tests are, the faster and further people go in learning about the world.

However, at every stage of cognition, a serious intellectual barrier is erected. Overcoming it may not be possible for everyone. In some cases, a person has great ability, but simply does not have the time to learn.

In this branch I propose to tell "infantile" trading strategies of beginners, and probably some of them will find here their own thoughts...

It should be useful for professional growth of any trader. :)

You know the answer about the infantile method of market analysis;)

Approximate chain of events of becoming a trader:

1. classical thechanalysis, fundamental analysis

2. indicators

3. martingale

4. analysis of volumes, different bulletins

5. correlation analysis, pair trading

6. arbitrage

7. hft, market depth analysis

8. leveraging machines in a broad sense (I am here now, having gone through all the previous ones)

9.... n... perhaps there are new unexplored horizons

Maxim Dmitrievsky:

You know the answer about the infantile method of market analysis;)

No, tell me:)

Retag Konow:

No, tell me:)

told above how I went through it all, each new step is a step forward from naivety to awareness

6,7,8 begin to bring a conscious income, the previous ones either do not bring, or periods, by chance

Maxim Dmitrievsky:

I told above how I went through it all, each new step is a step forward from naivety to awareness

It's interesting that machine learning is in 8th place, but just in the thread on it I saw a discussion in which they were arguing about a method for guessing the color of the next candle. That's the kind of "machine learning" I would put in first place. ;)

Do not consider it trolling, but really strange that such topics can be lead by the most experienced programmers-algotraders... What do you think?

Tag Konow:

It's interesting that machine learning is in 8th place, but just in the thread on it I saw a discussion in which they were arguing about a method for guessing the color of the next candle. That's the kind of "machine learning" I would put in first place. ;)

Do not consider it trolling, but it's really strange that such topics can be lead by the most experienced programmers-algotraders... What do you think?

I completely agree about the candlestick guessing, it's just the first thing that comes to mind when someone wants to predict something.

If to use machine learning it implies high proficiency in mathematics, statistics, terrain, programming, etc., it's high level and, I think, not everybody can master it, moreover, to do something profitable, even just because it takes much time and gone through all previous stages of trader's development to learn to synthesize their original ideas (only original ideas can earn)

Maxim Dmitrievsky:

Tell us what are the most naive strategies you have encountered.

I started scalping... I'm still using the three-screen system ... only I changed all the indicators...)

Petr Baskakov:

I started scalping... I'm still using the three-screen system... I just changed all the indicators...)

(Do you think this is naive?)

My first Expert Advisor was based on the use of three MAs. When the fastest one was between the other two, it entered the market. Then I was first convinced that the Expert Advisor showing good results in the test started losing money outside the optimization period. And I understood that the idea of fitting МА periods to market fluctuations is in itself incorrect because market fluctuations are not stationary and as soon as the mismatching of the set MA periods with the market fluctuations starts, the expert advisor starts to lose. Since then I have had a negative attitude to use several MAs in Expert Advisors as basic indicators for signal generation. However, I have not completely abandoned the use of MAs in Expert Advisors and some МАs are used only as an auxiliary tool.

Tag Konow:

Tell us what are the most naive strategies you have encountered.

Ludomania is when a man looks at the chart on the history and thinks - I would buy here and sell here and earn 500%, and he starts to think that sooner or later he will be lucky anyway, and he inserts, injects... ) It's a strategy based on gambling, using any tool at hand - whether it's a trend line or an indicator.
Reason: