MT5 EA Testing results vastly different

Hi all,

I am testing the same EA, on the same broker, same server, same settings, but two different accounts - One test results in 10 times more profit than the other?  How is this possible?

I am at a point where I do not trust the MT5 tester anymore.

Please help

Capricorn14:

Hi all,

I am testing the same EA, on the same broker, same server, same settings, but two different accounts - One test results in 10 times more profit than the other?  How is this possible?

Please help

I never trust the result (profit/loss) from strategy tester.

For me, the strategy tester just only for knowing the EA have an error or no when running.

The best way to test an EA is with demo account, because the result almost same with real one.

The EA you are testing is working weirdly.

I'm running backtests and optimizations on MT5 since years and once I see a result, I can even run the same backtest 1000 times and all these times results are exactly the same.

Fabio Cavalloni #:

The EA you are testing is working weirdly.

I'm running backtests and optimizations on MT5 since years and once I see a result, I can even run the same backtest 1000 times and all these times results are exactly the same.

Thank you for your reply.

I can run the EA on the SAME account a 1000 times and results will stay consistent.  As soon as I run it on a different account, I can almost guarantee the result would be different.

Zufri Al Pianur S E #:

I never trust the result (profit/loss) from strategy tester.

For me, the strategy tester just only for knowing the EA have an error or no when running.

The best way to test an EA is with demo account, because the result almost same with real one.

Problem is I would like to use the tester for optimization.

different spread and slippage can make a big difference. An EA should be equipped to handle different spreads. Otherwise you are scamming others including yourself

Conor Mcnamara #:
different spread and slippage can make a big difference. An EA should be equipped to handle different spreads. Otherwise you are scamming others including yourself

In a testing period of 10 days the spread and slippage being the difference between $8000 profit and $105000 profit seems unlikely.  Also, in my opinion if the difference was spread and slippage, subsequent results on the same account would have been different as well.

If I use the same broker, same settings, same FX pairs, why does subsequent results on the same account give the same result, but on a different account it is different (but subsequent tests on the 2nd account yields the same result as the first test on it).

Capricorn14 #:

In a testing period of 10 days the spread and slippage being the difference between $8000 profit and $105000 profit seems unlikely.  Also, in my opinion if the difference was spread and slippage, subsequent results on the same account would have been different as well.

If I use the same broker, same settings, same FX pairs, why does subsequent results on the same account give the same result, but on a different account it is different (but subsequent tests on the 2nd account yields the same result as the first test on it).

I didn't mean to make that sound like a personal attack, I think it looks like one but it was just a general comment for anyone. 

I've witnessed what you witnessed as well by running the same date range on different brokers, you need to make sure that the SL is sufficient as the spread will have an impact on your SL. So in the case of you losing more on one account but not another, it's simply because of SLs being hit on one account backtest (while these particular positions were not an SL hit on another account backtest).

When this happens (depending on the EA), it can warp nearly all of its future trade executions. The EA could be trying to re-assess what it should do, or it could be doing risky recovery trades. It's all down to the EA.

Take great care when using a SL based on a risk percentage on a *small* account. SL based on risk percentage should only be used on larger accounts. 3% of 1k is much different than 3% of 10k.

I hope my response was helpful.

Capricorn14:

Hi all,

Please help

If you are sure about what you said (same broker/server/settings), there is only 2 possibilities :

- The accounts don't have the same characteristics (spreads, swaps, ticks data or OHLC, symbol's settings).

and/or

- The EA is not well coded.

MT5 strategy tester is working very well if used properly.

If you need real help you need to share technical details, not words.

Reason: