Adding new or custom symbols.

Hi all,

I've noticed a number of posts on this but no definitive answer to the questions about adding symbols to MT4. I am motivated by the need/want to integrate all my technical analysis into MT4 (stocks and forex). Naturally I have forex data and symbols from my broker but would like to add end of day data for stocks and options. I've written some C-code to generate HST and MT4 compatible CSV files but I only seem to be able to import the data in these files over the top of existing symbols.

So the questions can I add symbols to the MT4 client? If yes is there are 'how-to' article?

Regards,

only offline edit this files symbols.raw symbols.sel

Thank you for the reply qjol.

I've had a search and only have found tools for extracting and not editing or creating a new "symbols.raw" or "symgroups.raw" files.

I did find SymbolsLib here: https://www.mql5.com/en/code/9102 but the code in there only picks out fields from the symbols table and doesn't insert or delete any entries. So I'm hoping that there is a tool to edit/generate symbols.raw files or there is documentation on how these files are constructed out there somewhere.

If you (or anyone else who stumbles upon this thread) could help with that it would greatly appreciated. I'll be more than happy to share any libraries or code I write to achieve this.

Regards,

read this file & you will understand how it can be done or use an HEX editor

remember it can be done only offline the second the terminal achieve a connection to the server all changes will be erased

@9047 Did you ever find a way to add a custom symbol for streaming data from a custom data source? This thread went dead a while ago... I wasn't sure if this has changed since 2011 or in MQL5. 

1. You can only trade what your broker provides. Period. Market watch -> show all.
  2. Editing files will not work. Period.
  3. You want other things, find a broker that provides them. Period.

William Roeder:
  1. You can only trade what your broker provides. Period. Market watch -> show all.
  2. Editing files will not work. Period.
  3. You want other things, find a broker that provides them. Period.

William, he was simply asking for how to create a custom symbol for charting or testing purpose, he never implied he wanted to trade the custom symbol.

I am also looking for a tool to stream custom symbols from an excel CSV realtime file or import via COM
Reason: