MetaEditor Code Styler satisfaction survey.

• 14% (5)
  • 47% (17)
  • 31% (11)
  • 8% (3)
Total voters: 36

Alain Verleyen:
  • I am fully satisfied and found the exact style I need.
    0% (0)
  • I am using the styler but I would prefer to customize it.
    0% (0)
  • I am not satisfied at all, I am doing it by hand. We need custom style.
    50% (1)
  • I have no idea what this is all about. Show me the votes.
    50% (1)
I HATE it, and I really think that.

I personally have my own formalized coding style, which I keep in a PDF, as well as a clang-format (and a Python script!) to automatically format my code.

I based it mostly on the coding standard of my engineering school, which you can find here: https://www.lrde.epita.fr/~raph/docs/epita-css/codingstyle.pdf

Going to be uploading my MQL5 coding standard very soon here! With its clang format and Python script as well. 

Zaky Hamdoun #:
I HATE it, and I really think that.

I personally have my own formalized coding style, which I keep in a PDF, as well as a clang-format (and a Python script!) to automatically format my code.

I based it mostly on the coding standard of my engineering school, which you can find here: https://www.lrde.epita.fr/~raph/docs/epita-css/codingstyle.pdf

Going to be uploading my MQL5 coding standard very soon here! With its clang format and Python script as well. 

I understand, my own answer would be " I am using the styler but I would prefer to customize it. ".

But using external tools is not practical at all when developing big mql5 project. So the best solution would be custom style for sure.

Hi Alain, I asked you something related to the styler some time back, but I think you missed it..

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/324615#comment_43922576

Dustin Vlok #:

Hi Alain, I asked you something related to the styler some time back, but I think you missed it..

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/324615#comment_43922576

I was not active on the forum for several months.

Answered.

Here is my idea and suggestion for Metaquotes to implement custom style without much effort on their side :

Then when you apply the Styler, this script will be run with the current source code file (or the content as a string) as input, and the output will be the "styled" code and replace the original source. Just needs to define some rules to follow to provide the input and output.

This way, the coder would be free to create its own style without Metaquotes having any responsibility with it.

What do you think ?

Alain Verleyen #:

Here is my idea and suggestion for Metaquotes to implement custom style without much effort on their side :

Then when you apply the Styler, this script will be run with the current source code file (or the content as a string) as input, and the output will be the "styled" code and replace the original source. Just needs to define some rules to follow to provide the input and output.

This way, the coder would be free to create its own style without Metaquotes having any responsibility with it.

What do you think ?

It will not be adapting the style as you type though (unless that is already the case with default stylers) 

Lorentzos Roussos #:

It will not be adapting the style as you type though (unless that is already the case with default stylers) 

Obviously I don't want and hopefully nobody want that.

Currently, including votes on Russian side, we have 46 useful votes, 14 satisfied, 32 not satisfied.

One must consider that imho MQ tries to have a typical style which does make sense!

Beginners of coding doesn't know about the Styler and do not haven an idea that, how and why this will help them - so they won't vote I think even though this group really profits from it.

The more experienced programmer have had developed their individual style and so this MQ style only disturbs them but this group is voting.

That means the outcome is quite predictable but only of limited significance.

Carl Schreiber #:
One must consider that imho MQ tries to have a typical style which does make sense!

Beginners of coding doesn't know about the Styler and do not haven an idea that, how and why this will help them - so they won't vote I think even though this group really profits from it.

The more experienced programmer have had developed their individual style and so this MQ style only disturbs them but this group is voting.

That means the outcome is quite predictable but only of limited significance.

I don't see why it would be of " limited significance " ? People who are not coders or who don't know about the Styler are not to be taken into account obviously, only the real users of a feature.

If I posted this survey it's because the outcome is not quite predictable for me (how do you know it's predictable ?!?), so I am curious.

Reason: