Terminal64.exe is crashing my new computer - Bad news and good news - page 6

Well it turns out that, even though it ran for more than 48 hours without any issues, today it's crashed twice, once with a shut down, the other with a blue screen of death. This is so strange, why did it start working as soon as I changed the GPU setting and then 2 days later it starts to crash again. This sucks lol. I guess I'll have no choice but to take it to the shop now, perhaps it was the hardware and the change to the GPU setting just reduced the load and made it happen less often...

edit: I'm still exploring other options, like considering that the new crashes occured when other charting apps were running at the same time and that those apps also have occasional bugs and crashes. So in case the shop doesn't find any hardware issue, I'm exploring other ideas like setting different process priorities in task manager, or even setting certain processes to run on only certain CPU's, I'm also exploring the idea of using MT5 to place orders on my laptop while using other charting apps on my other computer. I'm also exploring the idea of adding more RAM to the PC as I know 16 GB isn't a lot and most pros recommend 32 GB, I know for example that my other charting apps sometimes use 50% of my RAM even when MT5 is not running so perhaps having more memory could avoid certain crashes. I'm still convinced that changing the setting on my GPU to optimize for a "compute" workload instead of "graphics" has helped in some way or at least has a direct impact on the issues I'm currently having, but I'm starting to also suspect that other factors may be at play like running too many monitors with too many charts and too many apps with only 16 GB of RAM all having a potential impact that I might need to consider if ever the shop doesn't find issues with the hardware.

Jeepack #:

Well it turns out that, even though it ran for more than 48 hours without any issues, today it's crashed twice, once with a shut down, the other with a blue screen of death. This is so strange, why did it start working as soon as I changed the GPU setting and then 2 days later it starts to crash again. This sucks lol. I guess I'll have no choice but to take it to the shop now, perhaps it was the hardware and the change to the GPU setting just reduced the load and made it happen less often...

edit: I'm still exploring other options, like considering that the new crashes occured when other charting apps were running at the same time and that those apps also have occasional bugs and crashes. So in case the shop doesn't find any hardware issue, I'm exploring other ideas like setting different process priorities in task manager, or even setting certain processes to run on only certain CPU's, I'm also exploring the idea of using MT5 to place orders on my laptop while using other charting apps on my other computer. I'm also exploring the idea of adding more RAM to the PC as I know 16 GB isn't a lot and most pros recommend 32 GB, I know for example that my other charting apps sometimes use 50% of my RAM even when MT5 is not running so perhaps having more memory could avoid certain crashes. I'm still convinced that changing the setting on my GPU to optimize for a "compute" workload instead of "graphics" has helped in some way or at least has a direct impact on the issues I'm currently having, but I'm starting to also suspect that other factors may be at play like running too many monitors with too many charts and too many apps with only 16 GB of RAM all having a potential impact that I might need to consider if ever the shop doesn't find issues with the hardware.

Wild speculations outside the realm of causing the error.

When your car stalls on right corners, only taking left turns isn't a solution.

Two things you can do before going to the shop.

Intel has a Processor diagnostic tool. Download, install and run it. (If I remember right, you have an Intel CPU.)

Google for "Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool" and run it.

Before you take it to the shop, download and install HWinfo64. Save a full report in that software and store it.

It will have all details about your hardware. Comparing it with after your PC returns from the shop, you can figure out what they did.

If you don't mind, post the report here, I am interested in it.

EDIT:
I just checked, you have an AMD CPU:

Dominik Christian Egert #:

I 100% agree with you and will try to do these things before going to the shop. The reason I'm trying these other things though is to hopefully help the shop give me a better diagnostic, while also figuring out what works best (fewest issues) in case the shop can't find the solution.

For example, I'm starting to get a better sense of what is happening since I started making a few more adjustments. It turns out that even if I use "graphics" as the GPU workload, I can get MT5 to stop crashing by setting its process to a "High" priority in task manager.

I realized that because on "compute", it started crashing again when I opened my other charting software and used it to see charts on 4 of my other monitors. Also, my other charting software is more intensive in terms of visual graphics for many reasons, one of those being that you can zoom in and out with many degrees of precision and it also has anti-aliasing (I need both MT5 and that other charting software to work). But I have more indicators in MT5 also so it seems like MT5 might work better with the AMD setting "compute" while my other charting software might work better with the "graphics" setting.

I also went to the AMD settings to use CHILL mode and another option to cap the FPS to the lowest setting (I'm not sure if it works but if it does, I don't need 60 fps to analyse charts so that's one way of reducing the load and reducing crashes possibly).

So with this in mind, I can set the AMD settings to "graphics", with a cap on FPS, and then with MT5 open I go to task manager and set it's process priority to "high".

What this does, it seems, it completely prevent MT5 from crashing, but the other charting software will sometimes crash one of its tab, which I can reload and reset with 2-3 rapid clicks (so it doesn't affect my workflow too much).

So when I speak with the shop, I'll explain all this and see if it helps with the diagnostic. For example, I am really starting to wonder if adding RAM could help. But if they can't find the solution, I'd say that with all these new tricks, it's become much easier to work, as long as I'm avoiding bluescreens and MT5 crashes, that's already a big improvement.

Will keep you posted when I get a real diagnostic though, thanks for all the tips.

Jeepack #:

I 100% agree with you and will try to do these things before going to the shop. The reason I'm trying these other things though is to hopefully help the shop give me a better diagnostic, while also figuring out what works best (fewest issues) in case the shop can't find the solution.

For example, I'm starting to get a better sense of what is happening since I started making a few more adjustments. It turns out that even if I use "graphics" as the GPU workload, I can get MT5 to stop crashing by setting its process to a "High" priority in task manager.

I realized that because on "compute", it started crashing again when I opened my other charting software and used it to see charts on 4 of my other monitors. Also, my other charting software is more intensive in terms of visual graphics for many reasons, one of those being that you can zoom in and out with many degrees of precision and it also has anti-aliasing (I need both MT5 and that other charting software to work). But I have more indicators in MT5 also so it seems like MT5 might work better with the AMD setting "compute" while my other charting software might work better with the "graphics" setting.

I also went to the AMD settings to use CHILL mode and another option to cap the FPS to the lowest setting (I'm not sure if it works but if it does, I don't need 60 fps to analyse charts so that's one way of reducing the load and reducing crashes possibly).

So with this in mind, I can set the AMD settings to "graphics", with a cap on FPS, and then with MT5 open I go to task manager and set it's process priority to "high".

What this does, it seems, it completely prevent MT5 from crashing, but the other charting software will sometimes crash one of its tab, which I can reload and reset with 2-3 rapid clicks (so it doesn't affect my workflow too much).

So when I speak with the shop, I'll explain all this and see if it helps with the diagnostic. For example, I am really starting to wonder if adding RAM could help. But if they can't find the solution, I'd say that with all these new tricks, it's become much easier to work, as long as I'm avoiding bluescreens and MT5 crashes, that's already a big improvement.

Will keep you posted when I get a real diagnostic though, thanks for all the tips.

i get what you are trying to achieve, but No.

Don't even throw more time on it, especially with what you are planning....

You need to go the other direction... Put it to max stress and expect it to be stable. That's what you have payed for, that's what you need to expect.

Your ideas on trying to help with diags, won't actually help. The shop cannot deduct any meaningful evidence to pinpoint the issue by these actions. High priority will not solve the issue and will not help at all with the diagnosis.

What actually helps is reset BIOS, Update BIOS, use WHQL drivers. Run a benchmark that will crash the PC consistently.

Try to make the issue reproducible, so that it is easy for the shop to see the problem.

Don't tell them what you did to "make it go away" it is counter productive to both of you.

Make it happen as often as possible. Make it be a reliable problem. They don't want to spend days of diagnostics, they want to pinpoint the issue.

This is what they want: Boot PC, start App, have blue screen. - Change Ram, boot PC, start App, have no bluescreen.

I hope you get what I mean.

(...)

I hope you get what I mean.

100%!! That makes a lot of sense. I was not sure what to do before I go and see them or what to tell them and you've made this so clear so thanks a lot. I went in the direction of finding ways to reduce and almost fix the problem but now I have to work on the opposite: making the blue screen crash or app crash happen as consistently as possibly with the least amount of work load and without changing any of the computer settings. Like you say, I paid for something to work under maximum stress so that's what I should get (as long as I now know the issue isn't from MT5 itself).

Jeepack #:

100%!! That makes a lot of sense. I was not sure what to do before I go and see them or what to tell them and you've made this so clear so thanks a lot. I went in the direction of finding ways to reduce and almost fix the problem but now I have to work on the opposite: making the blue screen crash or app crash happen as consistently as possibly with the least amount of work load and without changing any of the computer settings. Like you say, I paid for something to work under maximum stress so that's what I should get (as long as I now know the issue isn't from MT5 itself).

It isn't MT5 alone, as your other charting software had issues as well as the installation process of windows.

It isn't MT5 alone, as your other charting software had issues as well as the installation process of windows.

It might be a few days before I have an update, PC's in the shop.

Great news, PC shop says the processor was defective. Parts and labor were under waranty so now I'm using this as an opportunity to upgrade from 6-cores to 8-cores which I wanted anyways. Now I'll just have to test it and confirm everything works.

PS: I don't know much about PC hardware and there may be previous replies where I confuse my CPU with my GPU, turns out they were both from AMD so that helped me get even more confused.

Anyways, the good news is that they found the problem since I was afraid they wouldn't. I'll let you know if everything works after a few days of testing.

Jeepack #:

Great news, PC shop says the processor was defective. Parts and labor were under waranty so now I'm using this as an opportunity to upgrade from 6-cores to 8-cores which I wanted anyways. Now I'll just have to test it and confirm everything works.

PS: I don't know much about PC hardware and there may be previous replies where I confuse my CPU with my GPU, turns out they were both from AMD so that helped me get even more confused.

Anyways, the good news is that they found the problem since I was afraid they wouldn't. I'll let you know if everything works after a few days of testing.

Great, problem solved. - It wasnt the RAM and it wasnt a software issue. - My personal guess would be, it wasnt the CPU either, but probybly the MMU in the CPU or a problem with the contacts (CPU not seated properly/pressure not enough on socket)

Sounds very miuch something like that. - It was for sure somehow RAM related, "NON_PAGED_AREA" as Windows had reported is a memory issue, and as others also have confirmed already, I personally have never had a malfunctioning CPU in my whole life, never. - I have seed dead CPUs, but they were either dead on arival or got blown by the customer. - Not a partial defect. - Wouldnt say its impossible, but very unlikly.

Doesnt matter, problem gone, I guess.

Dominik Egert #:

Great, problem solved. - It wasnt the RAM and it wasnt a software issue. - My personal guess would be, it wasnt the CPU either, but probybly the MMU in the CPU or a problem with the contacts (CPU not seated properly/pressure not enough on socket)

Sounds very miuch something like that. - It was for sure somehow RAM related, "NON_PAGED_AREA" as Windows had reported is a memory issue, and as others also have confirmed already, I personally have never had a malfunctioning CPU in my whole life, never. - I have seed dead CPUs, but they were either dead on arival or got blown by the customer. - Not a partial defect. - Wouldnt say its impossible, but very unlikly.

Doesnt matter, problem gone, I guess.

I bought this as a used/refurbished gaming PC so its CPU could have been blown by the previous user or installed incorrectly but I'm just glad it's fixed and that I could use this opportunity to upgrade from 6 to 8 cores with an extra GPU. Apparently, processor issues are extremely rare and the hardest to detect. In conclusion, MT5 continues to have all my love, not only was it not the problem, but since it acts as such a good stress test on CPU, it helped me realize there was a problem that needed to be fixed. In the end, the shop techs had to guess that it could have been the CPU since everything else they changed didn't fix the problem, plus I had already tested all possible software issues for them in advance, and the only reason we now know it's fixed is that everything works perfectly, no app crashes, no blue screen, even under heavy stress tests... life is good!

Reason: