Move file folder or history folder to external hard disk?

Hello!

having downloaded and compiled accurate history data, MT4 turns them into a gigantic file when importing it via the history centre. So large in fact that it easily eats up the free 80 GB on my system HDD. So I tried reinstalling a copy of MT4 on an external HDD with 2 TB of free space. That worked, yet, it still writes the history file to the system hard drive!

How can I change that? Any solution that uses the space on the external hard disk is fine.

Thanks a lot! 

My solution: I have an external usb-drive and I use  Birt's script to create only the tickdata fxtfiles I need. To access the files there I have to use the Windows-functions.

Beside that I use Schinagl's Link Shell Extension so that all mt4 running on my pc can share the same tester\history-folder.

Link Shell Extension
  • schinagl.priv.at
Version 3.9.0.0 Complete support for UNC path in any Smart Move/Copy/Clone & Delorean Operation. Lots of little fixes/improvements, I always wanted to do, but never had the time to. Version 3.8.6.8 Realtive symbolic links on absolute symbolic links to a different drive, were not created properly. Added Greek localization. Thanks to...

Carl Schreiber:

My solution: I have an external usb-drive and I use  Birt's script to create only the tickdata fxtfiles I need. To access the files there I have to use the Windows-functions.

Beside that I use Schinagl's Link Shell Extension so that all mt4 running on my pc can share the same tester\history-folder.

Thank you Carl! But as far as I see, this script writes the file to the data folder (on the internal HDD) as well. Or am I missing something? 

kathala:

Thank you Carl! But as far as I see, this script writes the file to the data folder (on the internal HDD) as well. Or am I missing something? 

You have to modify the script, that it reads and writes everything to the external hd by the Window-Filefunctions of kernel32.dll.

You can even try Tickstory - this is more user-friendly - or you pay for Birt's Tickdata Suite.

You could copy the (complete) existing installation to the external disk and run it from there.

So no re installation of the terminal is necessary.

Run in /portable, so it uses the terminal's directory for storage.

whroeder1:
Run in /portable, so it uses the terminal's directory for storage.
can you explain more. How i run in portable? I copied mt4 to my drive D and like to have all files of mt4 and history on drive D and not under C\...\roaming.

I also run it from USB stick and even DVD like that so i do not understand your problem with it.

Bernhard Schweigert:
can you explain more. How i run in portable? I copied mt4 to my drive D and like to have all files of mt4 and history on drive D and not under C\...\roaming.
Just run the setup in the folder or define the folder (can't remember). Create a short cut with the line: C:\Users\...\terminal.exe /portable

Carl Schreiber:
Just run the setup in the folder or define the folder (can't remember). Create a short cut with the line: C:\Users\...\terminal.exe /portable

perfect it works !!

thank you so much, now I can free a lot of space from C

copy mt4 folder to any drive or partition like D:\FX\acc1\

make shortcut to desktop from terminal.exe

open "Eigenschaften" or englisch property? of shortcut

add  /portable to "Ziel" english destination ?

like D:\FX\acc1\terminal.exe /portable

Carl Schreiber:
Thanks again, Carl! 
Now everything runs smoothly!
I started it as portable and then used TickStory to re-download and convert all the history onto the external hard drive's installation folder. That little programme is superb!
(It's really sad MT4 shouldn't incorporate such fundamental functions natively, rather than making probably hundreds of users spend time and desperation to accomplish them).
Reason: