Which hardware specifications are important for faster back testing? - page 2

Dominik Christian Egert #:
That poor laptop...

Use a VPS server, rent it for the time required.

Run it there. Your notebook will suffer very much from that abusive usage
I agree.
I would not try this with my laptop. So for this purpose, which VPS configuration would do it smoothly? What is your recommendation please? Assume I want to reduce this 280 hours with my laptop configuration to 14 hours with the VPS.

HosseinKOGO #:
I agree.
I would not try this with my laptop. So for this purpose, which VPS configuration would do it smoothly? What is your recommendation please? Assume I want to reduce this 280 hours with my laptop configuration to 14 hours with the VPS.
I cannot give you numbers. You want sufficient RAM and a high CPU clock.

For figuring out how much you need do a single test without visualization and monitor your RAM usage.

That will be the amount of ram per Core you require. Also add some for your OS as well.

CPU: Simple Version: multiply the core count with the frequency. This way you get some estimate to compare your VPS offers, accounting for cores vs frequency.

In case you do not get enough RAM offered, reduce the core count accordingly.

When installing the meta tester agents, search the forum on how to register all (but 2) cores for an agent. Keep 2 for the OS.

Have enough disk space, your logging will eat up alot of space while running. Also, if enough RAM is supplied, disk speed is not as relevant.

Then check your contract conditions. Maybe you can get it for 10 or 14 days. Call the VPS provider, ask them about your requests.

I cannot give you numbers. You want sufficient RAM and a high CPU clock.

For figuring out how much you need do a single test without visualization and monitor your RAM usage.

That will be the amount of ram per Core you require. Also add some for your OS as well.

CPU: Simple Version: multiply the core count with the frequency. This way you get some estimate to compare your VPS offers, accounting for cores vs frequency.

In case you do not get enough RAM offered, reduce the core count accordingly.

When installing the meta tester agents, search the forum on how to register all (but 2) cores for an agent. Keep 2 for the OS.

Have enough disk space, your logging will eat up alot of space while running. Also, if enough RAM is supplied, disk speed is not as relevant.

Then check your contract conditions. Maybe you can get it for 10 or 14 days. Call the VPS provider, ask them about your requests.

Thank you for your detailed information <3

Hello friends,

I want to purchase a new laptop. I've noticed a 4 cores intel core i7 with 16 RAM is the minimum for my purpose.
1. Is Mac Air 2023 a good choice for my purpose?
These are the basic configurations for the Mac Air:

8-Core CPU
10-Core GPU
8GB Unified Memory
256GB SSD Storage footnote ¹
16-core Neural Engine

2. If it is not sufficient, which parameter should I increase?
And another main question: 3. Is Mac Air affordable for heavy backtests and light optimizations(i mean just a few parameters to optimize)? Or other brands would have better options at the same cost?

HosseinKOGO #:

Hello friends,

I want to purchase a new laptop. I've noticed a 4 cores intel core i7 with 16 RAM is the minimum for my purpose.

8-Core CPU
10-Core GPU
8GB Unified Memory
16-core Neural Engine

And another main question: 3. Is Mac Air affordable for heavy backtests and light optimizations(i mean just a few parameters to optimize)? Or other brands would have better options at the same cost?

I would focus on having 2 drives with as insane read - write speeds as possible . I'd house the system on one drive and the meta traders on the other.

Cpu of course and Gpu . I'd also hit 64gigs of ram 

You can get a refurbished pc (if its available in your country) and "weaponize it" , if you want it for crunching stuff . But , i'm not sure if theres any juice you can squeeze from a gpu inside the tester (i mean i don't know if it does anything if you don't code your ea to use it). 

----edit----

for instance i'd start with this motherboard - if the gpu(s) are utilized - you get 2 pciE 5.0s DDR5 and you can go up to 192GB.

(but then again thad'be more aimed at meta trader 5 or pytorch or tensorflow not sputnik1

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z690-FORCE-WIFI/Specification

----edit 2 ---- However if i recall there was a fellow user who bought an insane spec pc and ended up looking to sell it because it was an overkill for optimizations . (it was discussed on the forum too)

MPG Z690 FORCE WIFI
  • www.msi.com
MPG series motherboards offers brand new silver look and feel, tuned for better performance by direct 18 phases VRM power, DDR5 memory with Memory Boost, Lightning Gen5 solution, Premium Thermal Solution, Wi-Fi 6E, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2

HosseinKOGO #:

Hello friends,

8-Core CPU
10-Core GPU
8GB Unified Memory
16-core Neural Engine

If you are aiming at Backtests, you should increase from laptop to desktop or workstation.

Laptops have a high boost, but underperform in the long run. They cannot dissipate the heat.

Or at least go for a gaming laptop...

Don't expect wonders from a MacBook Air.

I'm not looking for wonders men :D
Just a sufficient performance and an efficient energy consume based on my budget.(up to 2000$)

No war :>

HosseinKOGO #:

Just a sufficient performance and an efficient energy consume based on my budget.(up to 2000$)

Most energy efficient are the mobile CPUs from AMD if under load.

Intel is better at idle.

Don't go for an Apple CPU, it will, due to translation from x86 to ARM, be worse than you expect.

it will, due to translation from x86 to ARM, be worse than you expect.

Appreciated <3
Could you please clarify what are you pointing to in the highlighted? I can not understand it.

HosseinKOGO #:

That is a good budget actually for a PC

If you want a laptop go with Dominik's suggestion.

Here is mine for a Dextop pc , the base parts :

Motherboard (600$): https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X670E-CARBON-WIFI/Specification

CPU (400$) : https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-7700

RAM (250$) : https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/p/memory/cmk64gx5m2b5200c40/vengeancea-64gb-2x32gb-ddr5-dram-5200mhz-c40-memory-kit-a-black-cmk64gx5m2b5200c40

GPU (200$) : https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/geforce-gtx-1050-ti/specifications/

Disk (150$) : https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/gaming/kingston-fury-renegade-nvme-m2-ssd

Based on your use you can scale down on the gpu further and maybe even the motherboard .

You will also need : 

-Case

-Power supply

-Cpu cooling

-Case fans

-Keyboard / monitor / mouse / wifi / sound card you can use the existing ones you have .

EDIT : In general , since you want this for meta trader optimizations put more attention on CPU-RAM-Disk speed .

Reason: