Closing part of a position

Hi everyone,

I have a question which has come from recently not being able to place market orders with my broker to the insane volatility. I was unable to place market executions to open or to close trades, however if I placed a pending open order it would work as well as having SL and TP orders in place.

Having got around the first issue I was presented with a second - I needed to close 50% of my position but just can't find a way of doing this with a pending order. Does anyone know if this possible? IG is my broker and like a lot of brokers they provide mini terminal with there MT4 package.In mini-terminal there is an option to use non-hedging mode which someone from a different forum says would do what I want but I tried it and it doesn't seem to work for me. Even if it did work mini terminal must be interacting with MT4 to tell it close out part of a position as a pending order.

Anyone have any ideas if/how you can set a pending order to close part of a position in MT4?

Many thanks,

E

EdFuk:- I needed to close 50% of my position but just can't find a way of doing this with a pending order.

Anyone have any ideas if/how you can set a pending order to close part of a position in MT4?

You can only delete pending orders.

Delete the order then open a new pending order with the reduced lot size.

Keith Watford:

You can only delete pending orders.

Delete the order then open a new pending order with the reduced lot size.

I guess that would leave me with risk on rather a zero risk trade as I normally also move my SL to break even at that point too.
Reason: