1minute OHLC vs every tick - opposite results - page 5

Florent #:

Hi, yes 1 minute OHLC simulation give very good result. $100 turns into $7-8Mo in less than a year - LOL

My strategy does not use OHLC candle prices of any timeframe. Only indicators values to decide orders.

I'm not trying to predict future price of a bar as you mention, but calculate 1 minute OHLC prices with something like Tick Candles indicator. Goal is to have condition similar to the 1 minute OHLC simulation mode. Hope it is clearer. Could we have expert view on this ?

if your ea is basing those good results on the lowest price in the bar, the L in OHLC, or the high in a bar, the H, then the tick mode will give vastly different results. 

In order to make that work you will have to give the EA the abillity to always perfectly decide what will be the highest or lowest point price will reach in every single minute. and enter or close trades exactly at those moments.

looking back what the highes and lows where in a minute is easy, predicting what will be the high and low in the running minute or a minute from now isn't that easy lol. if you figure out how to do that please message me and i will make you the richest person on the planet :)

anyway, for the rest of the people here. Why is it that results still differ so much between ticks and minute bars when my ea is running on 1 hour timeframe and only uses bar close values as the trigger. Like opening or closing trades on 2 EMA"s crossing on bar close only for example. 

as far as i understand the movement inside any minute bar should simply not matter, what should matter is the closing price of every 60th minute bar and the positions of the relative EMA's at that point on the hourly chart.

But it clearly changes things completely, and i wonder why. does the ea still use the high or low price in the bar for calculations, even though it should simply trigger on the close price since that is the moment the signal is given to buy or sell?

With OHLC it also gives a 99% reliability number and with tick date it says 0% , which strikes me as odd as well.

am i missing something obvious maybe? to me personally this makes the entire testing unreliable and actually makes the OHLC results the more correct results. At least until i understand why the difference exists.

I guess the only way to find out is to run it a bit on a real acount and see what it actually ends up doing.

Hello guys!

I come here to describe my experience with my EA and how different were the results between "OHLC 1 min" and "Every tick".

For a long time, I used "Every tick" as a reference to set parameters besides the huge time it takes to test my strategy. I could say more than one year in this situation. However, three weeks ago I decided to use OHLC instead of Every Tick cause this mode is really faster and I saw that parameters were working well with many assets, what was supposed to be. However, comparing real results with recent backtest, I noticed that the results didnt match.

After reading all posts in this thread, I understood that OHLC 1 min should be exactly the same result as Every Tick according to my understanding of the concept of my strategy. For that, Alain Verleyen's comments were decisive, thanks to him. 

I´m not a good developer and don´t care about knowing deeply the concepts and theories on programming and languages, however, I know that my strategy should work properly and its math can be proven. So, instead of trying to fix it in a several ways, I just considered to simplify my code and start using only IsNewBar(), with my entire code depending on it. 

This made my code work like magic and Every Tick and OHLC perfectly match, as well as Every Tick Based on Real Tick. It is true that I lost months of simulations to find the best parameters for tens of assets, but now I know that my code is working smoothly and confident.

Also, now I know that my simulations will be much much easier cause OHLC mode is really faster than Every Tick. 

So, if you are trying to find out why OHLC differs to Every Tick etc etc, dont waste your time, rewrite your code using IsNewBar(), put everything depending on it and be happy. 

Every Tick works with all possible strategies, OHLC with some only. But OHLC is faster. So, why we need to write a code that doesnt work with OHLC? Unless you are a perfect programmer, keep it simple and be faster and happy.

Alain Verleyens is a reference here, besides his behavior of being too short in his comments. I dont like it. But, if you read carefully his considerations here, you'll see he is totally right.

Hope I help someone else.

Alexandre Sousa Bezerra #:

Hello guys!

I come here to describe my experience with my EA and how different were the results between "OHLC 1 min" and "Every tick".

For a long time, I used "Every tick" as a reference to set parameters besides the huge time it takes to test my strategy. I could say more than one year in this situation. However, three weeks ago I decided to use OHLC instead of Every Tick cause this mode is really faster and I saw that parameters were working well with many assets, what was supposed to be. However, comparing real results with recent backtest, I noticed that the results didnt match.

After reading all posts in this thread, I understood that OHLC 1 min should be exactly the same result as Every Tick according to my understanding of the concept of my strategy. For that, Alain Verleyen's comments were decisive, thanks to him. 

I´m not a good developer and don´t care about knowing deeply the concepts and theories on programming and languages, however, I know that my strategy should work properly and its math can be proven. So, instead of trying to fix it in a several ways, I just considered to simplify my code and start using only IsNewBar(), with my entire code depending on it. 

This made my code work like magic and Every Tick and OHLC perfectly match, as well as Every Tick Based on Real Tick. It is true that I lost months of simulations to find the best parameters for tens of assets, but now I know that my code is working smoothly and confident.

Also, now I know that my simulations will be much much easier cause OHLC mode is really faster than Every Tick. 

So, if you are trying to find out why OHLC differs to Every Tick etc etc, dont waste your time, rewrite your code using IsNewBar(), put everything depending on it and be happy. 

Every Tick works with all possible strategies, OHLC with some only. But OHLC is faster. So, why we need to write a code that doesnt work with OHLC? Unless you are a perfect programmer, keep it simple and be faster and happy.

Alain Verleyens is a reference here, besides his behavior of being too short in his comments. I dont like it. But, if you read carefully his considerations here, you'll see he is totally right.

Glad to help.

I don't always have the time or especially the patience to explain things in details (when I already did it several times elsewhere). You can always ask more explanation, if I don't want to answer, someone else could do it.

Alexandre Sousa Bezerra #:

Hello guys!

How do you use isNewBar(). I search the forum and was overwhelm and confused of how to handle isNewBar function.
Reason: