What makes an indicator free and what makes it not free?

I'm just genuinely interested in your opinion. What is it which makes an indicator a freebie, and what is it which makes an indicator have a cost attached to it?

I believe all products (EA or indicator) has to be free because profitability is not guaranteed. 
But I can figure out at least two cases where there can be a price.
1. When you are offering a specific service through that product like subscription to a channel.
2. Conversions from other platforms

Good morning
I think a free code is not finished.
It does not take into account error handling for example.
It does not provide a great guarantee of its result. No extensive testing or debugging
It will only work in specific circumstances.
it will not be optimized, consume a lot of time, waste time etc.

Paid or free, I don't think that only taking profit as a choice is good.

I prefer to keep in mind who is going to use the code
If he's a buffoon who's only looking for a quick win, a free code will suit him just fine.
You'll never make money from a buffoon who could buy you a code.
He will immediately tell you that he can find the same free code without having to pay for it.

On the other hand, if you come across someone who wants a code with which they know they will risk money and who will do it all year round and all the time.
he will ask you for guarantees that the code will work.
He will want to pay attention to the long-term operation of the code, resources and time.

He and all the people who are here to stay, will be ready to buy you codes that are much more advanced in their data processing than a free code.

Yashar Seyyedin #:
I believe all products (EA or indicator) has to be free because profitability is not guaranteed. 
But I can figure out at least two cases where there can be a price.
1. When you are offering a specific service through that product like subscription to a channel.
2. Conversions from other platforms
Saying all products should be free is not fair since you’ve got paid products yourself ;)

For exemple
I am thinking of selling indicators that will only offer moving averages.

That's not what's missing the moving average codes in codebase... and yet I intend to offer them for sale

Conor Mcnamara:
I'm just genuinely interested in your opinion. What is it which makes an indicator a freebie, and what is it which makes an indicator have a cost attached to it?

what makes it NOT FREE is the time the developer put into the writing the code and the ease it which it can be replicated :D

Easy logic = FREE

Complicated logic = $$

I'm thinking I agree on Gerards and your opinion here. If extensive work went into something to ensure a high quality software, and it is not easily reproducible by someone else, then it can be a paid product. I don't believe that any indicator can guarantee 100% profitability. Some of the better ones 70% - 90% profitability, but never 100%. I think a code conversion from TV to MetaTrader should be free if the code was free on TradingView

I put work into this 
https://www.mql5.com/en/code/49712

but the reason why I made it a free code is because people can do it for free on TradingView already
Click on the market chart to create a price alert
Click on the market chart to create a price alert
  • www.mql5.com
This is a first for MetaTrader 5. Now you can click on the chart to create price alerts.

Conor Mcnamara #:
If extensive work went into something to ensure a high quality software, and it is not easily reproducible by someone else, then it can be a paid product.
Conor Mcnamara #:
I think a code conversion from TV to MetaTrader should be free if the code was free on TradingView

I think the two above statements can be contradictory.

In general people buy a product if they believe it will enhance their performance... not because your code is robust.
Conor Mcnamara #:
Some of the better ones 70% - 90% profitability

Really?! If that is the case none of us should be wasting time freelancing for amateur traders in here.

Yashar Seyyedin #:
In general people buy a product if they believe it will enhance their performance... not because your code is robust.

Really?! If that is the case none of us should be wasting time freelancing for amateur traders in here.

I'm against the idea of freelancing for amateurs. I don't think it should be allowed, they need to learn how to trade well first. Freelancing should be done for professionals in my humble opinion

Reason: