The danger of small numbers

Have some code that checks MA crossovers. I discovered that I only got one type (I think it was positive cross overs) but not the other one

Changed the code and it works ok

/*    
    last = ShrtMA[1] - LongMA[1];      // No good.  Yes, "last" is a double
    if(last>0) result = 1;
    if(last<0) result -1;
*/

if(ShrtMA[1] > LongMA[1]) result = 1;     // works
    if(ShrtMA[1] < LongMA[1]) result = -1;    // OK

ingvar_e:

Have some code that checks MA crossovers. I discovered that I only got one type (I think it was positive cross overs) but not the other one

It's not danger of small numbers but danger of double type data.

ingvar_e:

If you still need to compare the double, read beginning with the words: "If you still need to compare the equality of two real numbers, then you can do this in two different ways. The first...".
Documentation on MQL5: Language Basics / Data Types / Real Types (double, float)
Documentation on MQL5: Language Basics / Data Types / Real Types (double, float)
  • www.mql5.com
Language Basics / Data Types / Real Types (double, float) - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

The code I have given above as "working" is not good.

I still found some inconcistencies in behavior so I made the following changes to the code.

Result:

Consistent behavior, a lot better results

double mult = 10000;

w1 = ShrtMA[1] * mult;
    w2 = LongMA[1] * mult;
    if(w1 > w2) result = 1;
    if(w1 < w2) result = -1;

I had similar problems in C++. In some cases comparing double value with 0 gave incorrect result. However, comparing with 0.0 was working fine and as expected.

I have no idea how mql5 compiler interprets code, but try this: 

double last = ShrtMA[1] - LongMA[1];
if(last>0.0) result = 1;
if(last<0.0) result -1;
Share results please, I am really interested about result of this in mql5.

Better to understand why, than try everything and anything.

angevoyageur:
Better to understand why, than try everything and anything.
  Out of curiosity, how would you code it??

Dr.Trader:

I had similar problems in C++. In some cases comparing double value with 0 gave incorrect result. However, comparing with 0.0 was working fine and as expected.

I have no idea how mql5 compiler interprets code, but try this: 

Share results please, I am really interested about result of this in mql5.
I can only say that as far as I can judge this code works ok. I have other areas to concentrate on, so I will leave this as is unless someone has some objections as to the validity of the code

ingvar_e:
  Out of curiosity, how would you code it??
    double epsilon=_Point/2.;
    if(ShrtMA[1]-LongMA[1] > epsilon) result = 1;
    if(LongMA[1]-ShrtMA[1] > epsilon) result = -1;

angevoyageur:
Thanks.  Interesting. One thing.   You divide by  2.    Is that a typo or or does the decimal point signify something?

ingvar_e:
Thanks.  Interesting. One thing.   You divide by  2.    Is that a typo or or does the decimal point signify something?
It means 2 is a double, but it's not mandatory in this case, just an habit.
Reason: