EA tester "every tick" VERY SLOW

Hello,

I'm not sure if is it normal, but when I try to use the tester with "every tick" execution, my PC take too long time. I'm trying to test just 8 months history and I have a nice processor. I know that it depends that a lot of conditions.

I could observe that when the test begins, the first months tester goes fast, but as the test will developing, it goes slower and slower. 

For example, the first 2 months, tester take about 3 minutes to test, but after that, next 2 months, the tester take more 10 minutes, and the next 2 months, takes about 30 minutes, so, to perform a 8 months test, it will takes about 1 hour!!

Is there any configuration or something to do to goes faster ? 

Guilherme Mendonca:

Hello,

I'm not sure if is it normal, but when I try to use the tester with "every tick" execution, my PC take too long time. I'm trying to test just 8 months history and I have a nice processor. I know that it depends that a lot of conditions.

I could observe that when the test begins, the first months tester goes fast, but as the test will developing, it goes slower and slower. 

For example, the first 2 months, tester take about 3 minutes to test, but after that, next 2 months, the tester take more 10 minutes, and the next 2 months, takes about 30 minutes, so, to perform a 8 months test, it will takes about 1 hour!!

Is there any configuration or something to do to goes faster ? 

Do you mean a stack overflow?

In the beginning it can run on your RAM memory but as that gets full it will start to use the hard disk as extra memory and since this is (can be) a mechanical device it will take very long.

So you can 1. Install a SSD solid state Harddrive, or 2. Install more RAM Memory 3. Use the Cloud 4. Go without backtesting.

Marco vd Heijden:

Do you mean a stack overflow?

In the beginning it can run on your RAM memory but as that gets full it will start to use the hard disk as extra memory and since this is (can be) a mechanical device it will take very long.

So you can 1. Install a SSD solid state Harddrive, or 2. Install more RAM Memory 3. Use the Cloud 4. Go without backtesting.

Yes, I have SSD!

I believe that the problem is the RAM memory, because I checked and my PC have 8 Gb, when tester is going, it uses more than 90% of RAM memory.

I've been use Cloud, but its very expensive. I expend $ 20 dolars and just gave me about 600 results.  

Guilherme Mendonca:

Yes, I have SSD!

I believe that the problem is the RAM memory, because I checked and my PC have 8 Gb, when tester is going, it uses more than 90% of RAM memory.

I've been use Cloud, but its very expensive. I expend $ 20 dolars and just gave me about 600 results.  

So you might consider getting rid of the tester entirely.

Saves time, and money.

It depends on the EA's code, too. Probably not optimized code. Regards

Might be useful to place the OnTick() code in the OnTimer() event and tune it accordingly. Won't give same results, but a backtest is a backtest. Anyway 1hour run is not that slow for 8 months.

twalk:
Might be useful to place the OnTick() code in the OnTimer() event and tune it accordingly. Won't give same results, but a backtest is a backtest. Anyway 1hour run is not that slow for 8 months.
OnTimer function doesn't work in backtesting. Therefore, it's not the solution. Regards.

Jose Francisco Casado Fernandez:
OnTimer function doesn't work in backtesting. Therefore, it's not the solution. Regards.

OnTimer is working with MT5 which is the platform used by the OP.

Though that will not help to improve the speed.

Guilherme Mendonca:

Yes, I have SSD!

Because your EA code is not good, improve it.

Alain Verleyen:

OnTimer is working with MT5 which is the platform used by the OP.

Though that will not help to improve the speed.

He didn't specify the platform (MT4 or MT5). Since most of the people are still using MT4, I thought he used MT4. However, I agree with you, OnTimer function isn't the solution. It's due to a poor code. Regards.

Edit:  Ok, I just have seen he mentioned Cloud. I hadn't seen that before. Sorry.

Reason: